Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedBraids falling out!

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
BrisVegas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids falling out!
    Posted: Jun 14 2010 at 6:16pm
Hi Everyone, I need some advice and to vent my frustration. Just a bit about my background I am a caucasian mother in Queensland Australia and have a African / Australian 10 Year old.  For years I did her hair in cornrows and styles etc.   Because I had a baby about about 9 months ago and was struggling to keep up with her hair and because she has a tender scalp, for a change we decided to get some braided extensions done, the single strand kind.  First time I found a home braider for about AUD$130.00 but wasn't happy with the end result they were quiet large and the ends weren't sealed properly, so I had to get out a lighter and try and do it myself. 

Then I called a salon (by the way there are only about 4 that I know of in my state, the owners daughter braided the hair shes about 18.  The came out excellent and I was very happy at AUD$250.00.  The second time we had them done, I showed up for an appointment and she said her daughter had to work at her other job, so she would come out to my house to do the job, but she called up later and said she couldn't so I had to go back to the salon, anyway it was done the next day, they looked good, but about a week later we noticed they were falling out from the top, so the whole braid was slipping out.  This went on for a whole week and soon she had lost most of the braids in the back.  I called the salon and they said they will "fix it".  So I drove back over there and she added braids back in where they had fallen out.  A different colour from the last lot...but anyway.  So we left feeling the issue was sorted...then same thing starts happening even with the new braids.  Now my daughters hair looks like an afro with braids randomly braided in it.  I said we would make do and just wear it in a ponytail.  But this morning when she left for school, I could see it had gotten her down, I asked her and said whats wrong, I said is it your hair? and she nodded, she wasn't her usual happy self. 
The salon owner wants to do a weave in her hair next appointment, shes put the idea in my daughters head and she wants to do it. 

Anyway 4 weeks since they have been braided and I have to do something about it, its a disaster because I haven't budgeted for it to be done again so soon. But I will find the money

Why would braids would be falling out?
Should I have a weave put in?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you for your valuable time & comments

Sponsored Links

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 6:50am
They shouldn't be falling out soon...that means they didn't braids securely...about the weave....it's a time saver...that's why the salon may want to do it....some ladies have braids or microbraids in the front and weave the back in the same hair(on a weft) it take a lot less time and the result can be pretty... But weave to me can be a more mature look and I personally don't really like it for younger girls...but it can depend on how it's styled...if it's still young then ok...( I guess I'm a bit old fashioned...LOL)

Looking at the album...ya'll are so adorable...It looks like individual braids. If you can cornrow mommy you can do individuals...I taught myself through vids. The best I can recommend is the growafrohair long. There is lots of info on hair care and vids on removing and applying braids by the site own...plus the vids are free..you can even download them...She shows how to apply the kind of braids your daughter has. PLUS she shows what to do if they slip out...I think you should maybe get a few packs of hair and  redo a few braids at at time....THen you can keep your hard earned money and spoil the kiddos....Here is a link to the site http://www.growafrohairlong.com/videoplaits.html
I have not ever soaked the hair before braiding like she does....but some ladies do....You can do these on your daughter I am sure......the video is clear and the hardest part is attaching the hair.....I had an ahhaa moment once I realized how it was done....Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out....

Edited by yurika975 - Jun 15 2010 at 6:52am
craftyNcrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 8:54am
I agree wtih Yurika975...if you can cornrow, you can do the individuals.  I just did my daughter's hair myself, and while they arent perfect they look pretty good in my opinion, and I only spent about $35 (US) on the hair, a good comb and some braid spray.  

I watched about 10 different videos on youtube and tried different techniques for attaching the hair until I found one that worked well for me.
DivaMelody View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 1:00pm
It doesnt seem as if the braids were done correctly.  It looks liek her hair is curling out of the braids.   So 2 things going on here.  An experienced braided should know how to attache a braid securely regardless of the hair type.  they should not be slipping out . 

On the othe rhand a hair weave on a child is a bit much IMO.   I know people vary ont his and is becoming popular but a hair weave requires a lot more care and upkeep than braids would(properly done braids).  I believe you said you were lookign for a braider becasue you didnt have time to do with a new baby, right ?   If her hair is a good length , have them try to braid without the extensions.  Maybe cornrows int he back and have individual braids in  the front and top. 
nubiennze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2010 at 2:47pm
First off, your daughter is adorable! I agree with the other posters that 1) you can do individual braids if you can do cornrows, and 2) a weave might be a bit too grown-up--and ultimately overwhelming--for a little lady. More than that, though, I wouldn't want to give those braiders any more money! Not only is their work inconsistent, but their operations leave a lot to be desired. Have you tried reinstalling any of the braids that your daughter has lost yourself? That would be a good place to begin. Aside from that, there are plenty of YouTube tutorials on braiding, but I think if you tried it out you'd probably find it even easier than cornrowing. I taught myself to do individual braids as a child for the same reason (i.e., shoddy installs with lots of slippage).

Best wishes with whatever you decide!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic