Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Sweet Diva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braiding your edges
    Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 5:56pm
I have worn weaves for about 2 years now and did my own for the last year and I have never braided my edges. I have seen many fotkis  with some great installs of the edges braided (Carla from Va, Essence and few more)and I would like to attempt this for possibly my next install to lower the stress on my hair  but I need some clarification first.

If I am just leaving my horseshoe out  and then braid my edges would you be able to see my braids if the wind blows?

The parts where you would braid your edges up would you not gather the hair at the very beginning of the braid or would you leave it a little slack to give more an appearance of edges? ( I hope that makes sense)

TIA

Sponsored Links

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 12:22pm
bump
kiki3c View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 12:30pm
My edges are braided.  My stylist took a long weft that goes around my head up to the horseshoe on both sides.  He sewed it down so that the hair falls forward.  My hair (weave) falls over my side hairline and ears if that makes sense.  Personally I don't like it.  I think it looks weavy when the wind blows even though you can't see the track.  Plus, I can't put my hair behind my ears which I've realized is really important to meLOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 1:50pm
Thank you kiki, and yes I do understand what you are saying. That is why I have always had my edges out because I like to put my hair back in kind of a half up half down style a lot and I can only do that  with the edges out but at the same time I was thinking that I could find a style that would give my edges a break every now and then. And I live in S. FL and it is kinda hot all the time.

Carla From VA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 5:10pm
Hi Sweet Diva.  My braids go from side to side, vertically.  I start each cornrow about a fingers width away from the temples, then braid to the middle, do the same thing on the other side.  Overlap the braids, and sew that part down really well.  Then sew the hair on as normal.  My edges are out, so I can actually pull my hair back into a pony tail or wear headbands with no problems.  I also have hair left out in between each row, this ep hair matches dead on so its never a blending issue.  I was weaving at first for more thickness, then I just wanted really long hair.  Since joining the boards, my own hair is filling in nicely, and I don't have to wear as much weave hair as in the past when I had a lot of breakage and such.
koffeebrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 6:27pm
when i braid my edges and sew the track around the head (like Essence edescribed), i am still able to put my hair behind my ear and wear a low pony.  The track sewn around the perimeter (edges) falls forward, and i just bring it forward and then push back behind the ear and u can't see the weft or braid.
buttaflygirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 7:59pm
I think it's personal preference. Normally I leave atleast 2 inches out around my entire perimeter and a wide horseshoe.  I like wearing a high pony and being able to pull my hair behind my ear where it looks more natural. To me, your edges (front, back, sides) makes the look more believeable.  I love it when the wind blows and my hair blows as well. I just moved and had to find a new stylist.  She started to braid my edges and I had to ask her to leave them out. She kept saying the hair would not fall like I wanted it to as she went up towards the crown area but I insisted she leave out atleast 1 inch. Also, she braided close to my edges behind my ears and I can only wear a mid/low pony. To me, leaving the hair out along the perimeter allows you to blend effortlessly when you are wearing up, in a bun or a pony.  Maybe the length of your own hair matters as well.  Anytime my edges were braided up, my hair thinned and the weave always looked too full.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:31am
Thank you for the replies ladies.Big%20smile
Koffe- The weft that is sewn all the around the peremiter does that go up to your horshoe?

I think I still want to try  braiding my hair with no edges left out but I might do it with my curly installs once it gets closer to summer.

Edited by Sweet Diva - Jan 08 2007 at 9:33am
Glamour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 2:47pm
Ummm.... this is very helpful, right now i have my edges (real thin) hairline and nape of neck out. I like it then i don't because my hair is so thin.  when i wrap my hair at night the weave goes one way and the  edges go another way and i alwayz have to flat iron it in the morning Cry Help!
inkspot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 10:48am

Hello! everybody this is my first time on the forum far as asking a question. I'm  usually on the site running across the answers that I need.  my daughter 's got very thin edges mostly on the left side it's like a nice little bald spot.  I need to know how can i do a weave without that being seen. I'm a amature in the weave field.  Please help.Cry

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic