Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Bolayi11 Needs Help With Her Hair Ladies!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolayi11 Needs Help With Her Hair Ladies!
    Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 12:25am
Posted for Member Bolayi11. She wants some direction and I know y'all can help.Smile

Originally posted by bolayi11 bolayi11 wrote:

Can someone point me in the right direction. I've been growing out my hair for quite some time now while wearing wigs and it's actually getting long enough now that I want to wear it but unfortunately I don't like how it looks. I'd love to somehow bring out the curl or do something but advice needed! (ps I can't create a topic yet) But here are pictures 

Originally posted by bolayi11 bolayi11 wrote:

oh, that would be so great. Basically, my hair has been growing up and it's pretty unmanageable.  I know I have trouble with keeping it conditioned and moisturized but I honestly don't know what to do with it. I basically wear wigs right now and I think it's a shame since my hair is growing now!

thank you!!!

Sponsored Links

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 4:31am
What products are you using for moisture?
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 6:44am
It looks extremely dry. You need a good DC to start of with. Then you need products that retain super moisture. Waits to hear from the other ladies.
Your hair is beautiful I already imagine 2 strand twist and twistout updo's. Girl theres alot you can do. You have a good length. Wished and wishes mine can atleast get to that length and thickness. Just plain old lovely!!!!!
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:20am
Actually, it doesn't "look" dry to me (your hair has low sheen like most type 4 hair), but looks can be deceiving.

What's your regimen? How often do you wash, condition, and moisturize? What products do you use? Do you airdry or dry with heat? Do you keep your hair stretched? (Either by braiding, twisting, threading, etc.) Why do you say your hair is unmanageable? (ie what exactly are you trying to do with it that is not working?)

As far as wanting to wear your hair out, this is a good time to experiment. When  you have some free time watch youtube videos and try out a new style on your hair. If it comes out horribly (which has happened to me more times than I can count) you can easily put your hair in some celie braids and throw the wig on. Naptural85 has a lot of styles (and doesn't use heat)...just google around or see what pops up on youtube.

momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 12:17pm
I Don't know what your regimen is but I suggest all natural products. The more your hair can consume and benefit from the ingredients, the better your results. Things that contain mineral oil, petroleum, parabens, sulfates, alcohols etc are quick fixes and cheap fillers that your scalp and hair get no nutritional benefit from and sometimes even negative effects.

I suggest White Camellia Ultra Smoothing shampoo and conditioner or Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo And Conditioner. Then for moisturization, I suggest doing a form of the LOC (liquid, oil, then cream) method (LCO (liquid, cream, then oil) or LLOC (liquid, leave in conditioner, oil, then cream)or LLCO (liquid, leave in conditioner, cream, then oil)). 

Liquid always stand for hair wet with water.

Leave in conditioners I suggest Beautiful Curls Leave In Conditioner, Giovanni Leave In Conditioner, or Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer.

For oils, I recommend macadamia nut oil or grapeseed oil. To make your hair softer, I always recommend adding vitamin e and/or castor oil to your oils. It makes a big difference in how smooth and soft my hair is.

For creams I suggest a whipped butter. You can make them yourself using shea butter or mango butter (recipes on youtube) or u can use shea butter and mango butter alone. And ones you can purchase would be balms or butters from Carol's Daughter, or the evoo and moringa olive oil cream from nubian heritage.

Protect it every night with a satin cap or satin pillowcase. 

For DC's I recommend camille rose deep conditioner, beautiful curls deep conditioner, or aubrey organics gpb conditioner.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

It looks extremely dry. You need a good DC to start of with. Then you need products that retain super moisture. Waits to hear from the other ladies.
Your hair is beautiful I already imagine 2 strand twist and twistout updo's. Girl theres alot you can do. You have a good length. Wished and wishes mine can atleast get to that length and thickness. Just plain old lovely!!!!!

Definitely agree with the bolded. And I also co-sign with momento. Not knowing what your reggie currently is, you should definitely considered going a natural product route. Based on the pictures, your hair does look a bit dry. But for all we know that pic could have been taken after a week of rocking an old twist out or bunning/wrapping under a wig. Consider doing the baggy method or GHE to maintain moisture.

And don't forget what you put IN your body is equally important. Drink plenty of water, try to eat as healthy as possible, and don't discount the power of exercise. :)
bolayi11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolayi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 8:21pm
I try to co-wash at least twice a week. I use a a homemade mix that has jojoba, coconut, castor oil, and shea butter after I wash it.  Then repeat lol 

If I notice it to be super dry, I do deep conditioning. But it's really when I feel like it. My problem is that it doesn't seem pliable  . I don't lknow if that's realistic for my hair time because it is super thick and I think it might be 4b
bolayi11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolayi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 8:26pm
I haven't permed or used heat on my hair in 4+ years but my regimen could be better. I've just started taking care of my hair this past year or so and I love it!

I tried bantu knots but it didn't really work probably because I didn't s o it right. When Itwist it, it's flat and floppy looking . But when I remove the twists after a couple days, the curl pattern is nice. I wouldn't mind rocking a fro of sort if I can get it to look nice. I think wearing it as some sort fro is probably my goal but it literally stands straight up.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:14pm
Have you considered the LOC method? I use a mainly all natural reggie as well. And when I first switched it still felt like my hair wasn't moist enough. I find that for my hair type 4a/4b plus whatever else with my body chemistry, I need to really focus on moisture retention. Besides spritzing my hair with my moisture mix periodically throughout the day, I GHE every other day. I would suggest doing it on a night that you moisturize with your oils.

Also, for natural hairstyles on type 4a or 4b hair I recommend going to naptural85.com. She has a TON of tutorial vids on various hairstyles for natural hair that don't involve heat.
bolayi11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bolayi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 9:52am
No I had never heard of the LOC method but I looked it up and it seems pretty easy so I will try it out.  Naptural85 has gorgeous hair 

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'll try them out and see what works for my hair and keep everyone updated! 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic