Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blowdrying Using the Tension Method

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 1:05am
Originally posted by mstinycurls mstinycurls wrote:

Originally posted by luvmybiga$$fro luvmybiga$$fro wrote:

Hey Miss Tiny Curls! Lookatchu all growing. Last yr. I decided to go straight during the Fall and Winter months. I blowdry with the attachment since I need Cleo to be as straight as possible since Hubby would be flatironing her. I keep my press in for a month. I also don't use heat protectants( never have Cleo handles heat well)

I think the key for Cleo not having any damage with this routine is that I do a protein dc b4 using any heat. I also go back to curly when I wash the monthly press out b4 straightening again. Basically giving Cleo a rest before using heat again. Haven't experienced damage or any retention issues. Hth!

Hey Luv!!
       Yep, it's growing out a bit.  Soon, I'll be able to play with the big girls.LOL  Wow, you don't use any heat protectants at all?  What do you use?

I don't use heat protectant either

I co wash - place in twists- air dry- add some leave in (shea moisture restoritive conditioner- shea butter- blowdry- twist

That's it!
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2013 at 9:01pm

Hey Miss Tiny Curls! Lookatchu all growing. Last yr. I decided to go straight during the Fall and Winter months. I blowdry with the attachment since I need Cleo to be as straight as possible since Hubby would be flatironing her. I keep my press in for a month. I also don't use heat protectants( never have Cleo handles heat well)

I think the key for Cleo not having any damage with this routine is that I do a protein dc b4 using any heat. I also go back to curly when I wash the monthly press out b4 straightening again. Basically giving Cleo a rest before using heat again. Haven't experienced damage or any retention issues. Hth!

Hey Luv!!
       Yep, it's growing out a bit.  Soon, I'll be able to play with the big girls.LOL  Wow, you don't use any heat protectants at all?  What do you use?

Well, in conjunction with dc'ing with protein, I also use shampoo and conditioners with keratin in them. Keratin strengthens. Cleo for the usage of heat- high heat. I blowdry on high and we flatiron on 400- 420 degrees. Again, I just want to add that Cleo can handle it bc she's thick. If you have fragile or thinner strands, please don't do this.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2013 at 5:38pm
Shampoo
DC
grape seed oil

Shampooed, DC'd then split hair into about 6-8 sections, covered with grapeseed oil, detangled, twisted until mostly dry, then blow dry using the tension method. My method is still a work in progress lol:

http://public.fotki.com/carolinacutie22/natural-hair-2010/blown-out-hair.html
mstinycurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 8:23am

Hey Luv!!

Well, in conjunction with dc'ing with protein, I also use shampoo and conditioners with keratin in them. Keratin strengthens. Cleo for the usage of heat- high heat. I blowdry on high and we flatiron on 400- 420 degrees. Again, I just want to add that Cleo can handle it bc she's thick. If you have fragile or thinner strands, please don't do this.

Yeah, my hair is not thick and it has thinner strands.  Ouch
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 2:09pm
Ms. Tiny, is ya girl long enough to band? That's an alternative to stretching ya hair w/o using heat. Also do you ever twist ya hair with little to no water and product? That may give you more hangtime and less tangles.

Now, I'm just brainstorming here, but hear me out. For the past two weeks, I've been rocking plaitouts. I replait every 2 nights. I started this to eliminate or decrease the amount of tangles Cleo was having. It works! So, if I brus the plaiout out, Cleo will be straight with some texture- almost like I did a light to medium blowdry. I'm wondering if you did this with your twists and then retwisted would you yield the same result. Just a thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 7:27pm

Luv, I don't band but I do twists with water.  I don't do it dry.  Will doing it dry give me less tangles?

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 8:50pm
^^Ms.T, in my experience, when I plait on damp to dry hair and using about a quarter sized amount of consish, I have little to no tangles when I release or finger comb. If I plait on wet hair, Cleo tangles when I release the plaits.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 1:28pm
Okay Luv, I'm going to give that a try.  I'm just going to  twist with a bit of conditioner instead of the water this month and see what happens.  Thanks!!! Big smile
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 11:07pm
Your welcome, hun! Just wanted to add that I finger detangled, combed, and brushed Cleo out from the old plaitout.

For the most part, it was a good experience. If I want a better experience, I will use a serum when fingercombing(just used my dry fingers) which will provide more slip.

After I brushed her out, the hair was smooth as if I blowdried. The roots laid flat and smooth. Like I said earlier, if I had used a serum, my ends would have been smoother when I brushed them.

But, I did notice when I replaited on dry hair. It was very much detangled. I only had to fingercomb. When I plaited,   the roots were extremely flat- so much so that it laid to my scalp(I'm not good at catching hair at the root- so I was doing the happy dance).I really like this bc its fits my lazy routine and its effective. Hth!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic