Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedBleached knots and lace turns orange!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Lunaitalia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleached knots and lace turns orange!
    Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 7:24am
Hi Ladies.
Like i just said in the subject i keep having this problem.
I have a really white skin, and my lace is always beige,
but when i bleach my knots it turns orange, very different from my
skin color.

I often need to use white powder or talco with a small brush to
clear it a bit.

Do you know if exists some way to avoid the cap tu change color?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links

hennared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 12:59pm
Hi Lunitalia -

Do you wear very dark hair?  I've not had this problem... it sounds like the bleach had to be on there a long time? 

I think there are products you can add to the bleach to avoid this; things with names like 'red corrector' or 'red out'; I think you might need to add something like this to neutralize those tones?

TheSecret View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 1:47pm
It seems that you may be taking the bleach off too soon.  When you bleach hair it turns orange before it turns yellow.    You can use this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clairol-Shimmer-Lights-Conditioning-Shampoo/SBS-320024,default,pd.html?green=16677107970&cm_vc=MYBUYS to correct it for now.   If you lather it up on the orange part and let it sit for a few minutes before you rinse it out it will tone down the orange. HTHEmbarrassed
Lunaitalia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2010 at 2:19pm
But the problem is not hair turning orange, it's the lace!
I usually leave knots bleaching around 45-50 mins, and they usually
look quite natural, but the color of the base makes my scalp look
yellow/orange, not beige like my skin is.

Do you know if this product to remove red works even on the lace
material?

Still thank you :)
Tip_loveshair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 9:33am
BUMP

I was using the search tool... I know this is an older thread . But i keep having this problem with my closures. The hair perfect... the lace orange. Can this be corrected?
SwingPrincess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 10:54pm
I don't know how to undo the damage, but I add red gold corrector to my bleach mix and haven't had any issues with orange since. 
Since I don't bleach a whole lot of knots :) I just buy the little packets.  Found them at Sally's in the color aisle.

HTH!
Hairmonic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 2:37am
Hi,
I have the same problem.
Each time I bleach my knots on transparent lace, the lace turns orange.
Have you tried the "red out"?
Does it help?
Alexis303 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:59pm
LOL, sorry for the long post...

It doesn't make any sense that the red out or something similar would work for the lace itself.  Yes, it works for the hair.  The "anti-red" products for hair are designed to counter the underlying pigment so they are generally blue or violet based (sometimes green too).  It is a totally different principle than an actual direct dye would be.  What you are doing with the red out is putting in a mild toner that is opposite on the color wheel from the underlying pigment/tone you want to avoid- yellow/orange/red/brassiness.  

The problem with the discoloring of the lace is a completely different issue and is almost certainly because of the starting color of the lace, not because you need to counteract tone.  I am not really sure how I would go about rectifying that.  The first thing I would probably try would be to make sure that I was using an oil bleach on the knots because they don't swell like powder bleaches (that's why a lot of stylists prefer oil bleaches, because you don't have to worry as much about overlapping).  Anyway, that would probably help keep some of the bleach from spreading as much to the top side of the lace.  I would just very meticulously apply it to the underside of the knots to start with.  Hopefully, in doing so enough will absorb to be visible from the top as well.  

You may have to also do something like go in with some tea or something and spot swab it on the discolored area of the lace like with the pointed q-tips.  It is probably going to be very tedious keeping the bleach just on the hair and whatever you use to recolor the lace just on the lace.  If you have to recolor the lace in just certain areas, you are almost certainly going to have some visible differences in color hence I would really try to just alter the way you are doing the bleach if possible.

ETA-  I actually use oil bleach for bleaching knots normally anyway.  I know some people here use powder, but oil is more gentle and it doesn't swell.  I also typically only use 10 or 20 vol. and add Argan oil to the bleach to make it even more gentle.  I have not bleached any knots since I started adding the Argan to my bleach, but will next time since it has made such a huge difference in how gentle bleaching is on normal hair.  The oil bleach though with 10/20v. is something I have been doing for years though on knots and it is much more gentle than powder with higher volume.

Edited by Alexis303 - May 20 2011 at 4:06pm
Nufsayd View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:08pm
IMO...the red corrector does work....I continually use it and works like a charm for meEmbarrassed

One thing you have to do is let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes after mixing and let it settle for about 10 to 15 minutes before bleaching the knots.

Next, you have to know how long to let the mixture sit once it is applied to the lace...I usually let it sit for about 10 minutes...then I take a napkin...and wipe some off the cap...to see how the process is going...once I am satisfied I then rinseEmbarrassed

I remember getting the orangey lace look before and been using this method since then with good results...I hope all works for you.

BTW...I just noticed this thread was revived from NovemberConfused

Edited by Nufsayd - May 20 2011 at 4:09pm
Alexis303 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:26pm
Yeah, I think the OP has probably already figured her knot problem out by now, LOL.  As far as the red out working, I really doubt that is what is working to keep your lace from turning orange, Nufsayd.  You are talking about two completely different principles- toning an underlying hair pigment verses replacing a direct dye in fabric. 

Although I'm sure some will disagree- Really when used with bleach, they have *minimal* effect even on hair.  Bleaching and toning/tinting are opposite actions.  Bleach removes color.  Toning adds color.  Doing them at the same time is always going to minimize the action of the toner.  I say this based on being a stylist for almost three decades.  I do also add a toner/unred to my bleach when I am bleaching knots (like most here I think), but I still think it really does minimal.  I think properly bleaching and placement of the bleach has much greater effect on the results.  That is just my opinion though and it's probably a moot point anyway since I use it too even though I think it does very little.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic