Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Blacks who grow up isolated from whites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:24am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Lol the ppl here get tired of me talking about home.
My friend said I be acting like Rose talking about back in St. Olaf
Jeezus.LOL
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:26am
i dont know if im understanding the op

however growing up isolated from white =/= unaware or unaffected by white supremacy
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:31am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

i dont know if im understanding the op

however growing up isolated from white =/= unaware or unaffected by white supremacy
=/ does that stand for does not? because that would be impossible in this counrty or most of the modern world. Evidenced by the fact that most African's you meet are extremley Europeanized and its often disappointing! I remeber meeting this guy while in Senegal and I was like can you tell me about what Africa was like before you were colonized by the french/ and Muslims... he was like "THANK GOD for the invasions because we were just drinking and behaving like animals!" I was like WTF?OuchAngryOuch  Brain washing has happened all over this earth~ and most young people of color are not even questioning it anymore
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 10:58am
what happens, I think, is that, when black people are surrounded by our our own (whether in the hood or in Baldwin Hills) we understand the rainbow of personalities within our culture first hand and unlike blacks who grow up in majority white neighborhoods, don't view black culture through the media's skewed perception. 

its as if the latter view black culture through white lenses and believe they are the exceptions to the rule. the rule being "those other black people". 

I grew up in the hood and only saw white folk on tv and when my family ventured downtown, to six flags, braves/falcon's games etc. White people were a non factor to me then and less of an effing factor to me now that I'm surrounded by them in my work place. 

Edited by noneyons - May 11 2013 at 10:59am
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:19am
also wanted to add that when black people from black neighborhoods go from A to Z and are thrust into the white world (celebrities for example), all *my* rules are thrown out the window because suddenly this subconscious attitude of white superiority starts to take over when they find themselves surrounded by an upper social and economic class of whites. 

since there is no middle ground for their perception of white culture (no trailer park whites, no hillbilly whites, no working class blue collar whites in their world), blacks from this category seem to live in a fishbowl, fooling themselves into believing that all white people take residents in pleasantville where everything is just a little more perfect than where they come from. 

they long to be accepted into pleasantville.

Edited by noneyons - May 11 2013 at 11:20am
danni7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danni7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:12pm
Did not read this whole thread but I will say colorism exist everywhere, whether white people are present or not. I grew up in the Caribbean and lighter was prettier, "good hair" was something special but we were all treated the same. Never experienced racism until I came here. Still don't understand what makes white people so special, always thought they smelt like wet dog.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:48pm
More interesting theories ..
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:50pm
Are mixed people supposed to hate themeselves or just the white part?
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

More interesting theories ..

lol
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:48pm
Geek
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>