VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLACK WOMEN and PLASTIC SURGERY
    Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 12:49pm

WHAT THE BLACK WOMAN SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY
By Michelle Fuselier, M.D.
H2H Magazine
www.h2hmag.com
| News Release: Posted 5.9.05

Americans are becoming extreme about body image.  
We are spending more money on elective surgical procedures to have a butt shaped like Beyonce' or abdominal muscles that are as rigid as Janet Jackson's.  Let's face it, our society places major emphasis on how we look.  For many of us, physical appearance influences how we see ourselves and how others see us.  And with the change in the economy, many of us can afford the extra cost to undergo cosmetic enhancement.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay younger or changing something about yourself you don't like. Cosmetic enhancement will make you look different and ultimately give you self-confidence you never had before. The number of African Americans electing to undergo cosmetic surgery is steadily increasing. Many of us have thought about going under the knife but we wonder if it is safe and if we will have the same results as our Caucasian counterparts.  Let us begin by discussing what every African-American woman and man should know about plastic surgery.  

Statistically, about 90% of all cosmetic procedures are performed on women and 10% are performed on men. According to race, 87% of Caucasians undergo some form of plastic surgery in comparison to 6% of Hispanics, 4 to 5% of African Americans and only 3% of Asian Americans. The top 5 cosmetic procedures are as follows (in order):
Chemical peel
Collagen injection
Sclerotherapy (treatment for leg veins)
liposuction and
Cosmetic eyelid surgery

Why is the demand for elective surgery on the rise?
According to several sources,
1st, it is related to the growing middle class in each ethnic group. They have more expendable income for elective procedures.

2nd, medical advances have greatly reduced the risks of scarring, known as keloids, among dark skinned patients.

3rd, the American media has helped raise awareness that a single standard of beauty no longer exists in multi-ethnic America.

And last, reality television shows the amazing results achieved by many individuals after undergoing plastic surgery. Not only is it free advertisement for plastic surgeons but it also appeals to anyone watching.
What are the risks and benefits of plastic surgery?

As with any surgical procedure, there is always a risk of infection, hemorrhaging or bleeding, tissue destruction, scarring or keloid. People of different minority groups tend to have differences in skin texture. African Americans tend to have heavier skin than Caucasians. Asians tend to have a more depressed nasal bridge. Different skin texture may affect the amount of scarring after surgery.

What should you look for in a surgeon?
It is important to seek a board certified surgeon who is experienced in performing the procedure you desire and who has performed the procedure on individuals similar to your ethnic background. It is the responsibility of the consumer to communicate with the surgeon and make sure that there is a clear understanding of the look they hope to achieve. Make sure that you assess the pros and cons to treatment and make certain that the benefits of the procedure outweigh the risks. Also, it would be essential to gain a clear understanding of the limitations of the procedure being performed.
Who is a good candidate for plastic surgery?

People with minimal medical problems tend to be good candidates for plastic surgery. Individuals with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, smokers, and obesity are usually not good candidates for cosmetic surgery. As mentioned above, all surgeries have inherent risks, but the addition of complex medical problems only make it more likely for complications after surgery.

Discuss your entire medical history with your doctor and ask if any of those factors put you at higher risk of having complications during or after surgery. Always remember to inform your doctor about the many different medications that you are taking, either prescription or nonprescription including herbal medicines and vitamins. Certain medications can alter the body's ability to form clots and could place one at higher risk of bleeding. Ask for your doctors advice or recommendations on what the outcome of treatment will be and again clarify whether or not your expectations can be met.

Conclusion
We all want to look our best but not at the expense of loosing our ethnicity. What is attractive for Caucasians isn't necessarily attractive for all ethnic groups. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that it transcends race. The goal of plastic surgery is to enhance one's natural features. This cannot be accomplished if your doctor is unaware of what natural is for your particular ethnic background. Remember, African-American skin may scar and change its color after surface procedures that penetrate the skin, such as laser resurfacing. So these procedures may not be as effective in people with dark skin.

Cost may be of concern to many, but don't let cost determine who you allow to enhance your beauty. Most cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance plans unless there is evidence of an anatomical defect posing a medical problem for the surgical candidate. Choosing a qualified, board certified plastic surgeon with a good bedside manner may be critical to achieving a successful outcome.

Again remember, the goal of plastic surgery in African Americans is to enhance the natural beauty that brings out our individual ethnic traits
Sponsored Links

miss_alexandra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:20pm
I used to hate my nose, but now I wouldn't do it.  Halle Berry had some nice results, but when I think of blacks and plastic surgery my mind goes to the Jackson Family, Tracie Bingham, and Lil Kim.  And that's enough to scare that thought out of me.  Besides, I would look like a fool with a turned up white nose anyway.
shonuffaharlem View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:35pm
Some people over do it but when you think of blacks/minorities and plastic surgery you should also think of:

Ving Raymes
Kelly Rowland
Patti Labelle
Stephanie Mills
Amerie.

All excellent work. 

Edited by shonuffaharlem - Oct 05 2006 at 1:36pm
miss_alexandra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:40pm
Are you serious!?  I had no idea they had anything done!  I'm shocked!  What did Ving Rhames do?
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:43pm
Nose job. Look at his early film work. There is a big difference.  The good jobs are the ones you don't notice.  I forgot to mention Tyrese too.  
LAcewgfanatic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:54pm
I would like to know also Kelly rowland and Amerie WHAT!!!!!!!Shocked
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 1:57pm
Both of them had nose jobs.  In fact, all the ppl I mentioned had nose jobs.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 2:01pm
WHAT OMG I can't imagine that I didn't notice they most have the best docs in town. Do you know if there's a link where we can see pics of the before and after differences. They should've reffered Lil' kim to their docs. No offense but she startin to llok like the lion king with those big ass cheeks
ChocDlx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 2:03pm
I've often wondered if people would still find Halle Berry so attractive if she hadn't had that nose job. Now I didn't know about Amerie getting her nose done. Have you noticed that the singer Mario's (You should let me love you)looks slimmer?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 2:07pm
When I when to a plastic surgeon she told me that people would pay to have high cheekbones like mine. I guess she wasn't jokinLOL
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic