Extensions Plus

Black soap and shea butter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
GreenGiant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black soap and shea butter
    Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 4:36pm
Everytime I come across one of my natural friends and they look @ my face, the first thing they exclaim is "girl you need to use some black soap and shea butter!" Tried it and it seems to do nothing good but give me dry patches and pimples. Am I an exception or does this combo have adverse affects for anyone else?
Sponsored Links

LouisVLover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouisVLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 7:57pm
I started using the raw African Black Soap about 3 months ago. When I first started using it, it did not agree with my skin at all. First it burned like hell. I dried out my face. My face was severely dry, so dry to the point where when I smiled it would hurt, at the same time my face was super shiny. It caused my face to break out bad, like mosquito looking bites and I had itchy patches around my mouth area, like eczema and I donít have eczema. This happened the same week I stared using it.  Then reading on the net, I tried to use the shea butter afterwards and that didnít really help either. It just relieved the tightness of my skin after I washed so I stopped using both all together. From what I was told is that the ABS strips your skin. About 3 weeks later, because I hate to throw stuff away and because I have read more good reviews than bad I started to use it again. The next go round when I used it my face didnít burn at all. Weird. This time I actually noticed that my bumps were drying up and no new bumps formed. I also started using witch hazel afterwards then followed up with a moisturizer. I didnít use the shea butter I just found it too heavy for my face. Right now all I use is the black soap.

Sorry so long! Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 8:33pm
Interesting, I may have to pull it back out again and give it a 2nd shot.
EbonyE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EbonyE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 12:50am

ABS really does dry your skin out depending on your type of skin. I have oily skin so it doesn't dry my skin out. But I did use Shea Butter afterwards, just a small amount. The thing is not to let it sit on your face long. About 15-20 seconds. Not over a minute. Follow up with an astrigent (SP?) to clean the ABS off, then apply the Shea Butter. You skin will be clean and soft as hell. HTH!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 11:00am
Whats sp? I also have oils skin so I thought the abs would have been great for me @ first.
skincare108 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skincare108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 12:35pm
Soaps are drying agents, and black soap seems to dry out black skin more than you know.  As for shea butter, depending on the quality, whether it's raw or processed to today's standard of a cream, it can break you out.

Raw shea butter is extremely oily and processed shea butter has lots of chemicals.  Finding the balance is the key.  The condition of your skin, whether it's oily, dry or combination will determine the type of products that you use on your face.

You can never use the same regimen as a friend because the conditions of your skin are always different.   What works for them may never work for you.Smile
GoodKarma4me View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodKarma4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2010 at 2:36pm
Have u guys ever tried Nubian Hertiage black soap? I find there's to be alot less drying that other raw african black soaps...
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 8:15am
^^^ I use real raw ABS and I love it!  I started with the Nubian Heritage black soap before I bought the real raw black soap and it was great!  I would use the Nubian Heritage if I ever ran out of real raw BS.  But that ain't gonna happen. Smile
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 12:23pm
I can use ABS on my face without any problems, but shea butter is a no no for me. My skin is very oily, and the shea butter does a great job at moisturizing, but I do get breakouts from it if I use it too often. [I can't use the two together either.]
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2016 at 11:29pm
I used to advocate for african black soap but not anymore..... it is very drying and even my combination skin is being affected.

African black soap is great for oily skin. It will get rid of your problem. You won't have pimples and that nasty greasy look anymore, but if you have combination skin, it will affect the dry/normal part and you will get dry patches on your face.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic