Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black man wins house for $16--white neighbors mad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Black man wins house for $16--white neighbors mad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black man wins house for $16--white neighbors mad
    Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:00am
EDIT: Never mind, he got the boot.
Unhappy

Edited by liesnalibis - Feb 18 2014 at 12:24am
Sponsored Links

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:09am
well he tried

Edited by Bored w/Out Me? - Feb 18 2014 at 12:36am
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:13am
If I were that man I would be very scared to sleep at night with those angry, jealous neighbors.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:14am
I found an update; sadly, he was evicted:

Obscure Texas law no route to homeownership for squatters

AA
David Woo/Staff Photographer
Kenneth Robinson lived in this Flower Mound home for a while in a celebrated squatters' rights case. Robinson last year complied with an order to leave the property, and it since has been purchased by another family.

Adam Schiestel doesn’t mind telling people that he lives in the squatter house.

“It’s always good for a laugh,” said Schiestel, who recently purchased a Flower Mound home that was once caught up in a controversy over squatters’ rights.

In the summer of 2011, Kenneth Robinson, a 50-year-old vitamin salesman, cited an obscure law, paid a $16 fee to file an affidavit of adverse possession and moved into the $340,000 foreclosed home.

Publicity about Robinson’s legal feat made him a celebrity of sorts and sparked a short-lived run on vacant or abandoned homes in North Texas.

But the fame was fleeting, and the legal loophole failed to become an easy route to homeownership.

In fact, it led to the prosecution of eight squatters inspired by Robinson’s creative interpretation of the adverse possession statute, a 100-year-old civil law to address boundary disputes.

“It was never meant to be used as a sword to steal someone’s home,” said David Lobingier, a prosecutor with the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

By November 2011, after Robinson had written an online manual on his homeownership method and had been invited to speak at SMU’s Dedman School of Law, about 60 affidavits of adverse possession had been filed in Tarrant County.

The DA’s office deemed the documents fraudulent, instructed County Clerk Mary Louise Garcia to stop accepting the affidavits and encouraged law enforcement agencies to pursue charges against squatters.

After a Tarrant County grand jury indicted eight people on charges of burglary to a habitation and theft, the squatters still at large abandoned the properties.

“They scattered like a covey of quail,” Lobingier said.

The first of the eight Tarrant County defendants to be prosecuted was David Cooper, a DeSoto man accused of moving into a fully furnished, $400,000 Arlington house. It was owned by a couple staying in Houston temporarily while the wife was undergoing cancer treatments.

A jury deliberated two hours before sentencing Cooper to 10 years of probation and ordering him to pay a $10,000 fine. His wife was acquitted.

After Cooper’s sentence was handed down, the remaining defendants pleaded guilty, Lobingier said.

Anthony L. Brown was sentenced to 10 years of probation. Andrew James LaTour II and Andre Brown each received three year of probation. Charges against their wives and other family members were dismissed.

“I think we’ve stopped all these affidavits from being filed as a ruse to steal someone’s property,” said Lobingier, who testified earlier this year on behalf of a bill that would have prohibited adverse possession from being used as a defense for burglary.

The reform, which would have criminalized the practice, passed in the state Senate but didn’t make it to a House vote.

Adverse possession remains a civil statute to remedy boundary disputes.

Since police normally don’t get involved in civil matters, “it really hamstrings police agencies,” said Lobingier, who believes Tarrant County was alone in prosecuting the squatters.

The Dallas County district attorney’s office does not compile statistical information on adverse possession cases, a spokeswoman said.

The Denton County DA’s office never prosecuted any squatters using the adverse possession claim, although a man was just indicted on a charge of filing a fictitious deed on a Plano home. That case is pending.

Robinson, once called America’s most famous squatter, quietly complied last year with a civil order to vacate the Flower Mound home. He could not be reached for comment.

His failed attempt to stake a claim to the home didn’t complicate matters when legitimate buyers came along.

“It was not an issue,” said Schiestel, the new owner who lives in the home with his wife, Regan, and their three young children.

Last year, the couple was in the process of buying the home from Bank of America when a picture of the house appeared on a local news segment on squatting.

That was their first inkling the home had a squatter. It gave them second thoughts.

“We took a step back,” said Schiestel, who finally decided it was a great home and continued negotiations with the bank.

But before closing on the house in January, he made sure of a title insurance policy in case Robinson made another run at the property.

For the Schiestels, the two-story brick home that features a swimming pool, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops is where they want to put down roots and raise their children.

They love the home — even if it cost them considerably more than $16.

“I think we got a good deal,” Adam Schiestel said.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:20am
Aww that sucks...I wonder how BoA got the home if the original mortgage company went out of business. What the guy in the video did was different from the people that followed actually breaking and entering, imo.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:21am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

If I were that man I would be very scared to sleep at night with those angry, jealous neighbors.

this this this

Let's not forget that they're YT too....

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:27am
negroes + having nice things + around white folks = syntax error
miana79 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miana79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:34am
Why are the neighbors making it their problem?? They are just mad they didnt find that loophole..theres alot of laws people dont know of. Where I can theres a way to make the gov. Pay down student loan but not many know of it or how to go about it.
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:36am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Aww that sucks...I wonder how BoA got the home if the original mortgage company went out of business. What the guy in the video did was different from the people that followed actually breaking and entering, imo.

You know them yt folks paid a lawyer to get BOA involved
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:40am
"After a Tarrant County grand jury indicted eight people on charges of burglary to a habitation and theft, the squatters still at large abandoned the properties."LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic