Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black images you wont see in mainstream media

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 9 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 6:54am
printer_ink: you're missing the point..it's not just about them being well-behaved on a bus, it speaks volumes about education.

....within the mainstream media, you'd be hard-pressed to find positive depictions of young black people outside of the "hoodrat/benefit queen/gangster" stereotype, that's a fact.

and when you do get "positive" images, they're always centred around 'white saviour narratives' (The Blind Side being one example)...

whether you acknowledge it or not, represention matters, it always has and it always will when it comes to POC.
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:20am

African American Students in Oakland Awarded for Perfect Scores on State Test

Christopher Chatmon and District 3 School Board representative Jumoke Hodge pictured with award recipient Syler Bryant. Photos by Ashley Chambers.

Christopher Chatmon and District 3 School Board representative Jumoke Hodge pictured with award recipient Syler Bryant. Photos by Ashley Chambers.

By Ashley ChambersPosted

Celebrating the excellence of 21 African American students who achieved 100 percent on the California Standards Test (CST), the Oakland Unified School District Office of African American Male Achievement (AAMA) held its 4th annual Perfect Score Celebration on Tuesday, Oct. 29 to honor the young scholars.

Students earned perfect scores on the English Language Arts, Math, or Science sections of the CST, a part of the Standardized Testing and Reporting Program that is used to measure student achievement in California.

Awarded with plaques in front of family and friends, students set the stage for their peers as models of perfect achievement. The program included a performance by Oakland Youth Poet Laureate Obasi Davis and a motivational speech by Jason Seals.

“We should expect [greatness] daily,” Seals said.

The program also recognized sophomore Ayo Lewis, who was awarded last year for his perfect score on the CST.

“This has inspired me to challenge myself. It let me know that I could do anything and be successful at it,” said Lewis, before presenting awards to the honorees with AAMA Executive Director Christopher Chatmon.

Acknowledging the 21 students with perfect scores out of the 13,500 African American students in OUSD, Chatmon said the AAMA is seeking to make seeks to make success the norm in classrooms.

“We feel it’s important for us to shine a light and celebrate the academic accomplishments of our children,” said Chatmon in an interview with the Post.

“I think within our city and within our public school system we’ve gotten too comfortable with normalizing and accepting mediocrity and failure. So we’re trying to change that narrative, to remind people of the beauty and brilliance of all of our children, to raise the expectations, and to engage families.”

Students said they were excited to receive the honor and their family’s support.

Jaylen Thompson, a 4th grader at Burckhalter Elementary said, “I feel great and I look forward to being successful in the future.”

“I think it’s really great [to be honored], and I’m going to strive to attend this event every year,” said Gabrielle Ricks, a 6th grader at Oakland School for the Arts.

Representing District 3 on the Board of Education, Jumoke Hinton Hodge was also recognized at the event.

“There are more Black boys in college than in prison,” said Hinton Hodge citing recent media reports. “This is good news! We have to support and show our little Black girls and boys how valuable they are and how proud we are.”

Through a partnership with AAMA and OTX West, all the honorees will receive a free home computer after participating in a training session.

For more information about OUSD’s Office of African American Male Achievement, call (510) 287-8313.

http://postnewsgroup.com/blog/2013/11/02/african-american-students-oakland-awarded-perfect-scores-state-test/

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

printer_ink: you're missing the point..it's not just about them being well-behaved on a bus, it speaks volumes about education.

....within the mainstream media, you'd be hard-pressed to find positive depictions of young black people outside of the "hoodrat/benefit queen/gangster" stereotype, that's a fact.

and when you do get "positive" images, they're always centred around 'white saviour narratives' (The Blind Side being one example)...

whether you acknowledge it or not, represention matters, it always has and it always will when it comes to POC.

i didnt realise people actually read PI's postsWacko.
Youre too nice Cherry

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

That's the DC metro. That picture was taken in DC

its the kids who are from NJ....
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

printer_ink: you're missing the point...
bless you for giving her the benefit of the doubt. she's not missing a damn thing.

she's ignoring the point to meet her quota for the day.
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:49am
I want to post my baby receiving an award from Howard University Engineer summer program..He was 14...Clap
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 9:50am
@neka&wildfire

[ak]guuuuurrrllll[/ak]

welp I tried...Disapprove LOL

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:22pm
I saved the picture in the OP as a screen saver. It's a beautiful picture.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12