Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Black Identity and Racism Collide in Brazil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Even when it's "justified" it's still counterproductive

Let's say everyone who's ever been called Black just embraces it, or at least doesn't make a big deal of it... it would completely take the sting out of supposedly being an insult

You're speaking with an AA biased mindset. I didn't identify as black when growing up. Not because of anything negative, but because that term was not used around me when growing up. You don't understand so I won't try to expect you to.
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:18pm
i can understand it denying blackness with light hispanics who are clearly mixed because they may have been mixed for generations and have no black face to point to in there family tree.  i get that and i dont even refer to them as black.  im talking about these folks who are visibly unmistakably black.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Denying Blackness is so counterproductive

Most of these people are too slow to realize that if they embraced Blackness that they could flip their reality on it's side

Like I said, denying blackness depending on the reason can be justified.

In certain contexts yes. My parents never called me black nor anybody around us. They just said, "This person is from this state or from that state" or " this person is from this ethnic group". I was really sheltered btw and black wasn't a term used around me. It just wasn't. Call me a liar or whatever but this was my experience.

We identified Black being= AA. And we didn't consider ourselves AA.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:19pm
Also... hear me out ...LOL

It's hard to come to another country and have someone tell you WHAT you are...You are born Columbian , raised Columbian and come to the US and now you are black y nada mas ... there is nothing wrong with being black but what about their Columbian identity.... that is alot of Afro Latinos struggle imo and some are just straight coons too...
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i can understand it denying blackness with light hispanics who are clearly mixed because they may have been mixed for generations and have no black face to point to in there family tree.  i get that and i dont even refer to them as black.  im talking about these folks who are visibly unmistakably black.

When a Hispanic says their not black it's different from when an African says they are not black.

Hispanics deny there African heritage, Africans deny being AA. There is a difference.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:20pm
Don't take it personal

I am speaking in regards to countries where that label is used (of the Diaspora mainly)

There are many countries where plenty people of African descent do not identify with the label "Black" and I still find it counterproductive (and not in an American way)

Even when it's "justified" it's still counterproductive

Let's say everyone who's ever been called Black just embraces it, or at least doesn't make a big deal of it... it would completely take the sting out of supposedly being an insult

You're speaking with an AA biased mindset. I didn't identify as black when growing up. Not because of anything negative, but because that term was not used around me when growing up. You don't understand so I won't try to expect you to.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Not surprised as this is a problem throughout Latin America but compared to those messed up Dominicans, afro-Brazilians are like Eldgridge Cleaver, lol.

I really wanna check out the DR soon cuz I hear this a lot, folks as dark as Akon talking about "I no black papi"

pretty much... 

someone was trying to explain to my friend while i was there that it had something to do with the Haitians...but the explanation was so long and drawn out I just started to gaze at the scenery. 
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

where is your family from f8?

Watts
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:21pm

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

When a Hispanic says their not black it's different from when an African says they are not black.

Hispanics deny there African heritage, Africans deny being AA. There is a difference.

im talking about people denying their african heritage not claiming AA.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:22pm
And I wasn't talking about coming to America and being called "Black"

I'm talking about being called Black (or your country's version of that word) IN your own country
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic