Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Black History Month Lesson Plan Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black History Month Lesson Plan Ideas?
    Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:45pm

I decided to do a pilot lesson today on Rosa Parks.  One of the other 6th grade teachers loved it so much he decided to borrow it.  I got a very good response to it.  We both decided that we are going to do a weekly topic on Black History month next year. 

Question:  Can you help me with suggestions for other topics and historical figures for my 6th graders?  Keep in mind, these are Korean kids for whom English is a third language (I have to simplify the language).  They already know about Martin Luther King, Jr.  They knew about Rosa Parks, but they were not familiar with the concept of segregation until I taught them today.  I also decided to talk about Emmett Till (and I am finishing up a lesson that ties him and Trayvon Martin together, since they asked if it still happened).

I've decided not to do slavery, because it just makes me pissed off and I decided NOT to sanitize anything I give to my students.
Sponsored Links

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:52pm
I always say slip in some Stokley Carmichael. He was bout that life.

We have to learn about Andrew Jackson, T. Jefferson, and a lot of other effed up American 'heroes'. Why not Stokley?

Okay, that may get you fired. Maybe some information about Black women in History?Big smile
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 11:09pm

I think I am going to do two lessons on injustice and two lessons on positive contributions.  Knowing me, I will keep harping on white folks all year if I am left to my own devices.

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 11:17pm
Girrrrrl, you betta teach them about Malcolm X!

I would also throw in a wildcard like Bessie Coleman or throw in a whole day of women who don't get recognition
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 11:37pm
My coworker wants me to make a powerpoint on Fannie Lou Hamer.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 1:54am
^Go for it. 
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:10am
My kids had a lesson on Rosa Parks yesterday. They were shown a youtube video of her speaking, and the lesson was centered around why we call he birthday the "day of courage" and we talked about the basics of segregation.

I think you should teach about these historical figures, then have a class discussion/debate on how it ties into segregation and the effects that person's life had. ETA: even if it is a little dumbed down for language. (depending on how old your students are) Also kids love videos.

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Feb 05 2013 at 6:16am
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:15am
Black actors and actress?
https://www.facebook.com/VintageBlackGlamour?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.education.com/activity/black-history-month/

Flags of Africa? Each child picks a country and tells about the country, maybe draw traditional clothing and search for local dishes? Compare and contrast differences between that country and Korea? (just replace country with person if this is too difficult for them)

Roots: Tell them about Roots then have them do a mini-family research of their own.

Compare and contrast Korea customs with African? Birth, coming of age, death, family life and holidays
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:42am
Thanks for the suggestions, I am taking notes and coming up with ideas on how to incorporate everything.  It was a practice lesson, so I am making some major adjustments.  I threw in a word about Emmett Till (they are 12 and 13 years old--almost his age), for the purpose of really connecting with the gravity of the situation, but there were a couple of images that, as I think about it now, *might* be seen as overkill.  I also really thought about WHO may be teaching this next year.  I work with 2 other 6th grade teachers and to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I would feel comfortable with them talking about Emmett Till and Trayvon Martin in a meaningful way.  I think the only reason why it got the reaction I was looking for is because *I* was teaching and I shared that these were the real experiences of members of *my* family. 

The kids in the other class really liked the lesson, but they were half-hung up on "the white guy" teaching it to them. 

Anyhow, I am going to dig up some vintage actors and actresses for an activity. 

I like the Roots idea and a tie in to family histories.  I have an idea about how to execute that and it can lead into stories about Korean historical figures (trying to find examples of women--Korea is a very male-oriented society).

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2013 at 6:13am
Okay, so apparently I was worrying over absolutely NOTHING.  I am going to go ahead and create the lesson plan for my Emmett Till lesson.  One of the American teachers was hung up over the violence--particularly the image of Emmett's body at his funeral.

I went to a Korean teacher and asked him his opinion about graphic images in this kind of lesson.  Rosa Parks is apparently in THEIR history books.  HE teaches his 5th grade about a massacre that happened in Korea with images of people being killed.  He also showed them images from the Holocaust.  I asked if anyone complained and I was worried about sanitizing history.  He said, "Facts are facts.  It happened.  We aren't teaching anything that's untrue."  It generated a very good discussion, so I think I'll move forward with it.  (I'm just going to have to present it in such a way that I feel comfortable with the other teachers using the lesson).

By golly.  Why the heck can't we do this in the US?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic