Perfect Hair Collection

Topic ClosedBlack Girls who Tan?? pls help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Bbabe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Girls who Tan?? pls help
    Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 12:37pm
Does anyone here tan? I am medium toned, and loooooove the dark golden glow I receive from the sun. I'm pretty religious about it, and usually adhere to a 'tanning schedule' in the summer to maintain the look (I always wear a sunscreen)...Alas, I have finally agreed that outdoor tanning is not healthy, and now that I'm halfway through the Obagi skincare program have accepted that my natural sun tanning days are over Cry...So the question is 'What do I do to get that beautiful color I once had?' Can someone recommend a self tanning product that would work with AA skin? I was thinking of buying my own at home spray kit, but am worried about mixing the colors correctly. Does anyone work at  spray tan salon - can you offer tips?
PS - Am I the only Black girl in America who goes through this? Surely I can't be...
Sponsored Links

beauty1216 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 1:41pm
I am very light skinned so I find myself tanning right around now. However, I have been using the jergens lotion the gradually tans your skin over time. It looks great on me. I just wait till I go to the beach for s deeper tan. The lotion is much better for your skin than the UV rays!Smile
Beauty1qt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 3:08pm

BEFORE I GOT SO BZ I USE TO LAY OUT AND TAN A COUPLE TIMES DURING THE SUMMER. I LOVED IT AND NEVER KNEW IT WAS ALL THAT BAD. I SUN BURN EASILY BUT IT IS WORTH IT. I AM A SHADE OF CARMEL BUT GET BRONZED WHEN I SUN BATHE. I LOVE IT CAUSE I KEEP THIS GLOW ALL YEAR ROUND. PPL THINK IM PLAYING WHEN I SAY I PALE OUT IN THE WINTER. IM NOT WHITE BUT BLACK PPL HAVE TO MAINTAIN THEY COLOR TOO.

LATELY I HAVE BEEN WHITISH. I MEAN THE SKINTONE NOT A WHITE PERSON.LOL BUT I HAVE HEARD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THE JERGENS AS THE GIRK ABOVE NOTED. I HOWEVER PLAN ON GETTING SOME SUN THIS YEAR SO I WONT BE TRYING THAT. I WILL NOT BE SUN BATHING THO I AM JUST GOING TO TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND SWIM MORE ETC. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Bbabe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 9:11am
Trust me I know what you mean about being pale in the winter! I feel so fugly lol.
I tried the Jergens lotion, but unfortunately, I'm to dark naturally for it to have any effect. I need the real stuff baby, lol.
Sparkling Bliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 9:16pm
I tried the Jergens but got impatient. So I didn't see any results.
It know it works though. lol.
Tans I get out in the sun are great but they
don't last too long on me.

CandiiMamii26 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2008 at 1:51pm
i tan too.. my white friends think im crazy

but idk how to help you, my skin is so uneven now and in some places my skin doesnt fade back after the summer! so im avoiding the sun this year

intl_babygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2008 at 4:06pm
go with avon ... their skin so soft tan line is great stuff .. for that nice golden color
Urban View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 6:43am
Apparently black people need a lot more sun than white people do to make up the body requirements for vitamin D. I don't think I little bit time in the sun could do you too much harm.... is applying all them tanning chemicals any better?
tunisiabey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Urban Urban wrote:

Apparently black people need a lot more sun than white people do to make up the body requirements for vitamin D. I don't think I little bit time in the sun could do you too much harm.... is applying all them tanning chemicals any better?

umm no black people dont need the sun more becuase we have more melenin in our skin already but yes,its safer for black people becuase the darker you are,the more melanin,which protects skin from the sun.ahh,its times like these when i really thank god for my chocolste skin =)
Urban View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 9:28am
How exactly to do you justify us not needing more sun because we have more melanin? Where do you get that from??? 

I said black people need more sun, than white people do, to make enough vitamin D. Here's my back up:

Dark skin: People with dark-colored skin synthesize less vitamin D on exposure to sunlight than those with light-colored skin (1). The risk of vitamin D deficiency is particularly high in dark-skinned people who live far from the equator. One U.S. study reported that 42% of African American women between 15 and 49 years of age were vitamin D deficient compared to 4% of White women (25).

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

those at greatest risk of having too little vitamin D include:
  • elderly people
  • babies who are exclusively breast-fed
  • people with dark skin (darker-skinned people need more sun exposure to make vitamin D)
  • people who don't get any sun exposure (those who are housebound or who cover their bodies with clothing for religious or cultural reasons)
  • people who live in the northern US and Canada in winter (above 37 degrees latitude)
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_A_Call_for_More_Vitamin_D_Research.asp

Ninety per cent of vitamin D in the body is derived from the chemical reaction that occurs when ultraviolet B light hits the skin. Dark skin does not absorb as much ultraviolet B as light skin, and people who wear clothing that covers all their skin are not exposed at all to the sun.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_357606.htm

You're right in saying that melanin helps protect black people from sun. In fact with black people, only about 5% of UV-B crosses the skin barrier. But then that just goes to support what I had said in the first place: black people need to stay in the sun longer, inorder to meet the requirements for vitamin D synthesis.

HTH Smile

Edited by Urban - Mar 28 2008 at 9:39am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style