FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Black girl Cant Braid Syndrome!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Simone1987 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black girl Cant Braid Syndrome!!!!
    Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 6:36pm

I am thinking about going back to Cosmetology school this year, but my friends and family continue to hastle me about going back to college to get a degree in paralegal studies since im already employed as a paralegal assistant. problem is.... i know in my heart that, that isnt something i want to do. its f-ing boring! as far as doing hair goes, my skills would be a 6 on a scale from 1-10. I say this because I can do everything except braid. Im sure, many African American Beautician's make most of their profits from sew-in's and braids. Not to mention that EVERYONE has been trying to teach me how to braid, but I am not getting it! So do you all think that going back to Cosmetology school will be a waste of time? 

Sponsored Links

Alex Urameshi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Urameshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 7:02pm

I agree with ur fam. sorry. maybe u can do hair on the side.

lane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 8:06pm
I think you should do what makes you happy srsly who knows you could become a celebrity stylist and be making a killing, about the braiding there are some good youtube vids that teach how to braid, im 25yrs old and i just  started learning how to braid my hair, i actually braided my bff hair today, trust me if i got you can get it, I just learned today that there are different ways of braiding, braiding up, or braiding under, I was told I braid up, myb your not getting b/c ppl do dif techniques and they are confusing you? idk braiding is almost like platting instead you pick up hair with the middle piece as you keep moving, HTH  
MissClarity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissClarity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 8:46pm
I dont think it would be a waste of time. its plenty of hair stylist who can't do all styling arrangements and they are still good are what they know and make it their specialty, plus since you dont like doing paralegal work at the end of the day your only making your self less happy, if the cosmetology doesn't work out, you still have that degree to fall back on and you can say you did what you could without regrets. I hope you make the decision that will make you happy good luck.
Chey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 8:24pm
single braids or cornrowing?
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 10:25pm

You can always hire an assistant who braids.  Most of the stylists that I go to have braiders/assistants.  Also, you can learn to braid if you really wanted to. Just believe and practice.  Hairgirl203 is a stylist now and she has only been braiding for maybe a couple of years or a year.  Not sure... buy a mannequin and practice.  You'll get it in no time.

sasha299 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasha299 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Simone1987 Simone1987 wrote:

I am thinking about going back to Cosmetology school this year, but my friends and family continue to hastle me about going back to college to get a degree in paralegal studies since im already employed as a paralegal assistant. problem is.... i know in my heart that, that isnt something i want to do. its f-ing boring! as far as doing hair goes, my skills would be a 6 on a scale from 1-10. I say this because I can do everything except braid. Im sure, many African American Beautician's make most of their profits from sew-in's and braids. Not to mention that EVERYONE has been trying to teach me how to braid, but I am not getting it! So do you all think that going back to Cosmetology school will be a waste of time? 

How about a compromise - get your Paralegal degree AND go back to cosmetology school also. That way you have the paralegal to make money while you are setting yourself up with your cosmetology practice. It does not have to be all or nothing.
You NEED to fulfil your dreams BUT you also need to be practical. You also need to be frank with yourself. Some stylists have made tons of money with natural AA haircare but not as much as  they would if they specialized in weaves. If you are having a hard time learning braiding, why is it? Is it mental or is it physical? If you never master it will you be able to survive?
If you are able to make your hair dreams support you comfortably Great and you can drop the paralegal career in a jiffy. If it can't - its better for you to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.
lucas lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:42pm
i always do what i want , but you should not hurt you  familiy
brittelyse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittelyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 9:32pm
I know exactly how you are feeling right now. You do what you feel is right in your heart. Don't let anyone discourage you from at least trying to do something that YOU want to do. I am a licensed cosmetologist and was not the best braider when I started cosmetology school. My braids weren't very tight and I felt like I wasn't going to be the best hairstylist because I couldn't braid very well. While I couldn't braid the best, I could style hair DAMN good amongst other things like making wigs, cutting hair, etc. I was one of the best students in my class, but I wasn't the best braider. I practiced braiding all the time, any chance I got and I FINALLY got it. While some of what you said is true(cosmetologists making most of their money from sew ins, etc) that is not all that cosmetologist do. There are sooo many different options with a cos license, you can choose what you want to specialize in. I know some cosmetologist who just do make up and eyelashes, some who only do weaves, some who do everything. Let me tell you that You can't be perfect at everything,  but you can PRACTICE and try to come as close as you can. Everything you will learn in cosmetology school will take practice and dedication for you to excel in this field. Wish you LUCK : ) 
brittelyse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittelyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by MissClarity MissClarity wrote:

I dont think it would be a waste of time. its plenty of hair stylist who can't do all styling arrangements and they are still good are what they know and make it their specialty, plus since you dont like doing paralegal work at the end of the day your only making your self less happy, if the cosmetology doesn't work out, you still have that degree to fall back on and you can say you did what you could without regrets. I hope you make the decision that will make you happy good luck.

I agree!!! Great Advice
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>