FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black farmers to receive $1.2 billion

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black farmers to receive $1.2 billion
    Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 5:15pm

Black farmers to receive payouts in $1.2 billion from federal lawsuit settlement

A bittersweet victory decades later after experiencing discriminatory lending

by Carolyn M. Brown    Posted: October 2, 2013

black farmers

After years of protests and lawsuits, black farmers in the south will begin receiving payments this week as a result of a $1.2 billion settlement in their discrimination case against federal agriculture officials. About 18,000 farmers in total are expected to receive checks over the next few days.

This is the second round of funding for black farmers. Thousands received payments in 1999 as part of a settlement in a class-action suit over allegations of widespread discrimination by federal officials who denied loans and other assistance to black farmers because of their race.

“After all these years and all the fighting, this is what it’s all about,” says John Boyd, president of the National Black Farmers Association, which pushed Congress for the settlement. “It doesn’t take away what the government has done to us, but for those who receive the payments it will make a difference in their lives.”

About 40,000 black farmers filed claims in the $1.2 billion settlement, which ended a discrimination case against the United States Department of Agriculture. In 2010, President Obama signed the bill authorizing compensation for discrimination in farm lending by federal officials.

Black farmers will receive settlement payments of $62,500, including $50,000 for the claim and $12,500 for taxes. Of the $1.2 billion, about $91 million was approved for attorney fees.

“I am pleased this chapter of discrimination in the history of the Department of Agriculture is closed and bureaucracy will no longer keep these farmers from receiving their due justice,” says Democratic Rep. Marcia Fudge of Ohio, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus.

The payments could lead to an infusion of money back into farming, adds Adell Brown Jr., vice chancellor for research at Southern University Agricultural Research & Extension Center. The center has worked with black farmers in Louisiana who filed claims in the first and second cases.

Many farmers who had filed claims have since died. Of the 18,000 claims approved, about 4,000 to 5,000 were estate claims. The National Black Farmers Association is working with some families whose deceased parents had filed claims.

“This is not a great trade-off by any means, but I think the funds will make a difference,” says Boyd. “It’s a bittersweet victory.”

http://www.blackenterprise.com/news/black-farmers-to-receive-payouts-in-1-2-billion-from-federal-lawsuit-settlement/#.UlKf9qB4h9s.twitter

Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 5:20pm
Clap

This made me think about how America has been so expert at segregating opportunities.  Its like as soon as we gain access to certain "freedoms" they find a way to deny it to us and us only.   These farmers could be the big names in groceries right now but sadly even with this settlement the damage is done.  
bubblyboo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bubblyboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 6:44pm
I dont think $62, 000 is enough for years of bs theyve gone through smh. 91 mil in attorney fees wtf?
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 6:48pm
I hope I get my 40 acres and a mule next shheeeeeiit ride my mule to school jus cause
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

I dont think $62, 000 is enough for years of bs theyve gone through smh. 91 mil in attorney fees wtf?

This
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

18,000 lawyers. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System