Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Black Dolls? White Dolls?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

are we talkin bout a baby doll or barbie?

It's a baby doll. About the size of a newborn baby. The lady who gave it to her is in her 60's and never had children. I don't believe there was any ill intent behind it. It's not someone I work very closely with and she saw me and asked how my daughter was. Then later, she brought me a doll to give to her.
Sponsored Links

newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:27pm

my daughter has one white barbie. i wont accept anymore white or mixed barbies or white baby dolls. i remember that thread about changing a blk barbie's hair to natural hair. i need to do that.

ETA: my daughter is 2. i just want her to see her own beauty before accepting anyone else's. unlike my childhood.

I agree with the bolded. I truly want my daughter to understand her black beauty. I always tell her how much I love her brown skin. So sometimes, when we cuddle, she says "Mommy, I love your brown skin; it's just like mine".
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by newin2009 newin2009 wrote:

my daughter has one white barbie. i wont accept anymore white or mixed barbies or white baby dolls. i remember that thread about changing a blk barbie's hair to natural hair. i need to do that.

ETA: my daughter is 2. i just want her to see her own beauty before accepting anyone else's. unlike my childhood.

I agree with the bolded. I truly want my daughter to understand her black beauty. I always tell her how much I love her brown skin. So sometimes, when we cuddle, she says "Mommy, I love your brown skin; it's just like mine".
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

my daughter has gotten a few white dolls as gifts from others..and i give them to her. they are gifts. however if its family, i tell them blk/spanish dolls only. thats what our family is. no big deal. kids tend to like the newest one the most...just cause its new. it wont change anything. if you continue to teach her about her own. at least thats how we roll. Heart

I appreciate your post! It makes me feel better about my decision to go ahead and give her the doll. I do always teach my daughter, on her level of understanding how beautiful us brown skin, black people are. She has some understanding of it.

And I'm positive she loves the white doll because it's new. I bought her an indoor golf set today. She has yet to even ask about the doll today.
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

i would ask her why it's her favorite doll

If her reasons are not racism, propaganda or inferiority/superiority etc driven, then I'd leave it alone

I would've asked the white lady why a white doll for a black child in a light easy manner just to see what her reaction was

I asked her the other day why the doll is her favorite. She says because she has a bottle and pink clothes. My daughter's favorite color is pink. I also asked her how is the doll different from her other dolls, and said its because this "baby" is small and soft and has a headband. My daughter does understand that she has brown skin, but she doesn't really understand the concept of different races. When I asked her what color the doll was, she said pink.
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

I don't think she had any ill intentions when she purchased the white doll. It is everywhere and perhaps it was cheaper than a black doll - or on sale.
Any new toy is a child's new favorite toy. If months pass and she gets new toys yet the white doll is still her favorite - then you could ask her why. But right now it is just a shiny brand new doll.

I am mixed, so when I have kids, I will probably get black and white dolls for my kid to play with.

I don't believe there were any ill intentions either. I have a lot of mixed race cousins, nieces, and nephews. I love them all. I do want my daughter to appreciate and love her brown skin above all else. My issue is that I don't want to become too militant about it, which is why I sought BHM's opinion on this matter, and to see what other parents lean towards.
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

she gave your daughter a white doll because in her mind white is superior and why wouldnt anyone want the better doll.  its up to you to know better.

She's an older white lady, about 60 - 65 years old, from London. I don't believe there were any ill intentions.
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

No white dolls.
Most of my kids toys will be educational or like things to get them active though.

Typically, I don't lean towards buying dolls. 75% of her toys are educational. Usually, when I purchase toys for other kids, I go with something educational. However, as my daughter gets older, she's been more interested in dolls. She used to only ask for books and puzzles.
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i'll let her play with dolls from any color.  I had a huge barbie and barbie accessory collection.  I had the white, latina, and black barbies.  i always identified the black dolls as the ones being me when I played pretend and the other color dolls were just my sidekicks, friends, co-workers, etc...i'd rather have my kid be well adjusted and comfortable with anything while still understanding who she is.  having a few white dolls didn't stop my Kenya doll from being my favorite.

I appreciate your insight!
smaison View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I get it from my momma tho lol. She wouldn't/won't even bring a calendar in the house with a Cauc. person on it.

I don't have kids, but my imaginary kids can't have them.

yep.
my god daughter is not allowed to play with white dolls.
she's gotten a couple as gifts but after having a stern talk with her mom, she never received them.
haloes think they slick. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic