Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black 17-Y-O Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black 17-Y-O Accepted by All 8 Ivy League Colleges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:19am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

I still bet most black women wouldn't date him because he doesn't got swag and isn't thuggin...

But congrats on this brother, you're so lucky to be African and intelligent that is the difference between AA women and African women. One chooses outside and the other chooses the inside.

That was some bitter bhm stuff to say

I'm just messing with u, but yeah

Sponsored Links

Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:25am
I saw this on the news, beautiful
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:30am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

ilive ...foh. that man is African. U act like he'd date an AA woman for serious.
well he might fucc
NuAttitude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuAttitude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:33am
ClapHugThumbs Up I'm proud of him!
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:40am

Why the All-Ivy League Story Stirs Up Tensions Between African Immigrants and Black Americans

The story of the first-generation Ghanian-American student accepted by all eight Ivy league schools is wonderful, but it also stirs up the tension between black Americans and recent African immigrants — especially when you describe him as "not a typical African-American kid." That's been the reaction to USA Today's profile on Kwasi Enin, a Long Island high schooler who got into the nation's most competitive schools through hard work and, according to IvyWise CEO Katherine Cohen, being African (and being male). At one point the piece reads:

Being a first-generation American from Ghana also helps him stand out, Cohen says. "He's not a typical African-American kid."

"Not a typical African-American kid" is being read as an allusion to the lazy black American stereotype. The tension comes from the fact that some African immigrants buy into that stereotype, which gets turned into "Africans don't like black people." This has almost nothing to do with Enin, who is obviously a remarkable young man, and everything to do with how America perceives and portrays black Americans and African immigrants. 

RELATED: Arizona Lawmakers Can't Spell the Name of the Abortion Drug They Banned

In January, Luvvie Ajayi, a Nigerian-born immigrant, tried to explain "akata," a word some Nigerians use to refer to black Americans that translates into wild animal. (Note: A lot of Nigerians use akata to mean "ghetto" as well. My mom once told me I was dressed like an akata girl because I wanted to wear sweatpants in public.) She argued in a series of tweets, collected by Clutch, that the reason some Africans believe black Americans should be doing better is because they don't know about the history of black Americans but see their own success as a reason blacks should excel as well. "Africans who come to the U.S. are statistically more successful than African Americans and they think 'if I could do it, why not them?'" she wrote

American society holds that same view as well. A 2007 study covered by the Washington Post found that a quarter of black students admitted to elite colleges were African immigrants, though they only represented 13 percent of America's college-age black population. The study's authors several theories on why black immigrants do better, including "to white observers black immigrants seem more polite, less hostile, more solicitous and 'easier to get along with.' Native blacks are perceived in precisely the opposite fashion." 

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Why the All-Ivy League Story Stirs Up Tensions Between African Immigrants and Black Americans

The story of the first-generation Ghanian-American student accepted by all eight Ivy league schools is wonderful, but it also stirs up the tension between black Americans and recent African immigrants — especially when you describe him as "not a typical African-American kid." That's been the reaction to USA Today's profile on Kwasi Enin, a Long Island high schooler who got into the nation's most competitive schools through hard work and, according to IvyWise CEO Katherine Cohen, being African (and being male). At one point the piece reads:

Being a first-generation American from Ghana also helps him stand out, Cohen says. "He's not a typical African-American kid."

"Not a typical African-American kid" is being read as an allusion to the lazy black American stereotype. The tension comes from the fact that some African immigrants buy into that stereotype, which gets turned into "Africans don't like black people." This has almost nothing to do with Enin, who is obviously a remarkable young man, and everything to do with how America perceives and portrays black Americans and African immigrants. 

RELATED: Arizona Lawmakers Can't Spell the Name of the Abortion Drug They Banned

In January, Luvvie Ajayi, a Nigerian-born immigrant, tried to explain "akata," a word some Nigerians use to refer to black Americans that translates into wild animal. (Note: A lot of Nigerians use akata to mean "ghetto" as well. My mom once told me I was dressed like an akata girl because I wanted to wear sweatpants in public.) She argued in a series of tweets, collected by Clutch, that the reason some Africans believe black Americans should be doing better is because they don't know about the history of black Americans but see their own success as a reason blacks should excel as well. "Africans who come to the U.S. are statistically more successful than African Americans and they think 'if I could do it, why not them?'" she wrote

American society holds that same view as well. A 2007 study covered by the Washington Post found that a quarter of black students admitted to elite colleges were African immigrants, though they only represented 13 percent of America's college-age black population. The study's authors several theories on why black immigrants do better, including "to white observers black immigrants seem more polite, less hostile, more solicitous and 'easier to get along with.' Native blacks are perceived in precisely the opposite fashion." 

that bitch said that

this is her

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:43am
meanwhile in DC, 
a typical african american kid?

D.C. High Schooler Accepted Into Five Ivy League Schools

For many high school seniors, sending out college applications is one of the most stressful events of the year, but for one D.C. student, getting in was easy, and now it's time to decide where to go.

Seventeen-year-old Avery Coffey is a student at Benjamin Banneker High School, a four-sport student athlete and the recipient of five ivy league school acceptance letters.

With an acceptance roster that includes Harvard, Yale, Brown, University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, the southeast D.C. native has the world at his fingertips.

"I think Harvard has a slight edge, but I'm still trying to decide," he said.

Raised by a single mother in one of the poorest wards in the District, Coffey did not have an easy road to success, but against the odds, he has managed to accomplish a feat few else will.

In addition to the ivies, Coffey has also been offered full rides at George Washington University and Howard University.

When asked the secret to his striking success, the academic wunderkind says, "If you come here and you know exactly what you want to do and have the determination to do the work, you will be successful here."

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:44am

it's 2014 and so many still worship whites

it's disgusting and the people that do it are trash
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

meanwhile in DC, 
a typical african american kid?

D.C. High Schooler Accepted Into Five Ivy League Schools

yes, he was only accepted to 5
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

that bitch said that

this is her

smh...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions