Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbiracial women with white mothers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
AllyOrNotAlly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 2:49pm
If I were white, I'd still call my kiddies black.
Sponsored Links

egyptiennequeen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by coilyartist coilyartist wrote:

Originally posted by egyptiennequeen egyptiennequeen wrote:

I don't think anyone who's biracial (that is, black and white) regardless of which one of their parents is black or white should be calling themselves black. If the mother's white and the father's black, you are mulatto. If the mother's black and the father's white you are a mulatto. Case closed.

The word mulatto is so archaic and outdated, and is still used to hurt people in the south. The modern term is bi-racial.

Not all biracial people are half black and half white.
shoulderlengthb View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 5:23pm
I don't really think about this kind of stuff..
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:10pm
It's hard argue something this when you don't have an agreeable definition of what "Black" is even amongst those of African proportions
coilyartist View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 8:33pm
@egyptian.

I know. Either way you swing it, I know that people of mixed race don't want you calling them a mulatto. I say, respect their wishes and call them what they prefer. plain and simple.
iLoveMrCortez View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 8:51pm
um it depends. i think mixed girls with white moms tend to be more whitewashed. i dont view some of them as true black people because they identified with their white mom more so of course they are gonna have that white influence.  vs. a mixed person with a black mom who was the main influence a lot of times u can just tell a difference. plus some of them like hauts said feel better than regular blacks and take advantage of the praise and attention. NOT ALL MIXED PEOPLE, BUT SOME

also if you are half nonblack and half black, you cannot be the prettiest black anything. how that work when half your genes come from a white woman? halle may be the prettiest mixed woman but her beauty cannot represent black women b/c she is not fully black
Lilacflower1988 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 9:29pm
Clap Could not have said that better myself.
shebastacey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 6:44pm
I believe people should identify themselves how best they feel comfortable and what their parents believe is comfortable. For some it's to say bi-racial, for others it's to verbally identify according to appearance. It says nothing about what goes on in their home or their relationship with their parents.

If Halle identifies as Black, I don't have a problem with it. If Rashida Jones identifies as White I don't have a problem with it. I Mariah Carey identifies a White and Black-Venezualean (sp) I don't have a problem with it.

Sonja Sohn identifies as Black. That doesn't mean she doesn't embrace her Korean heritage or identity.

Jennifer Beals identifies as bi-racial though early in her career she rarely played a Black character or even a bi-racial character.  When she made her debut in Flashdance and the studio felt like revealing that her father is Black would hurt the movie and her career, she gave them the finger and showed up proudly at the premiere with her father and her mother as her dates. lol

Sue Simmons identifies as Black because her Black father and her White mother raised her to do so. Her mother told her that when people look at her, they don't see White and the hateful people only see (insert slurs). They thought it was best and she accepted it and she believes what they taught her was the right thing for her life. And, that is what matters. What she thinks. Not what others, who have no stake in her life think.
mscaribbeanma View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 6:52pm
is the rule..
you are what you father is (are)?. has anyone ever heard that
Lilacflower1988 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mscaribbeanma mscaribbeanma wrote:

is the rule..
you are what you father is (are)?. has anyone ever heard that
I personally never agreed with that. I tend to go with how jewish people feel. The child is the same as the mother is. That's what I personally believe. Everyone's first teacher is their mother and most biracial children (with a white mother) don't have their father's present so they are taught everything by their white mother's, alone. So, as a result, the biracial female child is not gonna be able to identify with a black woman. On the other hand, a biracial female child born to a black woman will pretty much understand everything about black women. And, that's why, in MY opinion, THEY have the right to self identify as a black woman but not those born to white women.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic