Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Biotin and Type A Blood

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
biotinquestion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotinquestion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biotin and Type A Blood
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 8:56am
Hello,

I have read, re-read, and re-re-read several of the threads on the board regarding biotin. Thanks to everyone who contributed to those threads - I learned a lot.

Without getting into details which would take forever, I believe that I have developed a biotin deficiency over the last few years. I have very solid reasons for this belief. I have developed seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp which I have read online over and over again is caused (though not exclusively caused) by biotin deficiency. The SD has led to some hair loss along the hairline and also diffusely on my head. FWIW, I have EXCELLENT hair genes and the hair loss was ONLY in areas where the SD was present and most acute.

I discovered a couple of years ago I was Vitamin D deficient which I corrected and that helped with hair regrowth up to a point but not beyond that point. Therefore I began taking biotin 5mg with MSM (1500ish) and a B-complex supplement about a year ago. I didn't see much if any progress with regrowth after three months, but I DEFINTELY noticed I was losing less hair in the shower when I washed my hair. THEN I realized that I had Type A blood - it was mentioned on this forum and other forums that because of this I was poorly situated to absorb B vitamins including biotin.

I read that I needed to take 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily in order to absorb a sufficient amount of biotin. However, in my eagerness to figure out why I wasn't responding to the biotin as well as I anticipated I would, I *think* I misread the 5-8 GRAMS 2x daily as 5-8 "MG" 2x daily. So about 9 months ago I upped my biotin from 5mg daily to 15 mg daily, spread out over the course of the day. That was a threefold increase in biotin dose, which seemed a "common sense" approach to me. I got a MINIMAL amount of regrowth, which on the whole wasn't noticeable.

Now, re-reading all those biotin threads again, I see that it is 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily that I am supposed to be taking.

This is around 1,000X the amount of biotin I am taking presently. That is an ENORMOUS increase. I know its a B vitamin which gets pissed out, but still, that's a HUGE HUGE difference.

I want to make sure that this is correct and that perhaps someone did not make an error a few years ago online and say 5-8 GRAMS of biotin 2x daily on their site when they MEANT to say 5-8 MILLIGRAMS of biotin 2x daily, and then subsequently others cut and pasted incorrect information to other sites.

I suspect based upon my research that the 5-8 GRAMS 2X daily is CORRECT but seek feedback. Type A blood is very common something like 30-35% of people have it I would guestimate. Biotin being the relatively popular supplement it is there must be numerous people who have confronted this issue. Perhaps the people who say "Biotin didn't work for me" after trying it for an appropriate period of time are simply people with Type A blood who may or may not be aware of the Type A blood issue, and for these people in actuality biotin WOULD work for them if only they seriously mega-dosed it along the lines of 5-8 grams 2x daily??

At any rate, I am seeing a couple of different doctors in the next few weeks to get traditional medical opinion on taking doses of biotin this high, but I am curious if anyone here has any advice or experience to share. I have come to realize the traditional medical establishment simply is in the dark about certain things and is often quite OK with being in the dark, so that is was it is.

Another question I have is that I have looked online and gone into GNC and enquired, but it seems nobody is making biotin pills anywhere near 5 grams (5,000mg). The most I can find anywhere is 10,000 mcg (10mg.) Anyone have any idea where I can find pills/tablets/capsules of biotin at much higher doses? I have found where I can buy a container of biotin POWDER which is something like 30 grams in the entire container, but I believe that is intended for lab experiments and such and not necessarily for supplementation purposes.

I thank anyone in advance for any advice or experiences which they might be able to offer.
Sponsored Links

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 9:13am
Good luck with this. Maybe you should consult a dermatologist.
flwonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flwonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 7:02pm
Checking with a doctor is best. I had a similar problem with my iron. 
My hair was falling out, even though it was growing at a fast rate. Come to find out I had misjudged the amount of iron I was taking. 

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 8:31pm
If you want a higher dose take a 10,000 and 5,000.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 10:45pm
Biotin usually comes in mcg ..ie micrograms
Anything more than 10,000 mcg is excess, which will be voided (urinated]
If you take Multi Vits, there is some in there also.

Don't believe in the Blood Typing for hair growth.

Think about it ....... Are people in India, China, Malaysia, or the Philippines   blood typed for hair growth, They just roll their hair into a bun most of the time,

Keeping your hair moisturized, protected, and low manipulated is best.
Know what you're using on your hair. You don't have to go 'out there'.

Hormones and good hair care works. If you're peri or post menopausal it's a bit more difficult.

Be patient. Anxiety creates counter productive hormones.

Good Luck

Edited by Benni - May 29 2014 at 10:54pm
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:30pm
I think it depends on the brand with the brand im taking now this is the first time i've had full eyebrows so i know it's working.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic