Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:28pm
What god are you talking about?
Sponsored Links

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:32pm
What God are you not talking about?

Point me to the thing that does not exist.

Edited by Derri - Feb 05 2014 at 5:33pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:32pm
They simplified what he said.  Nam answered first and said I'm a Christian so nothing would convince me that the earth wasn't created exactly as described 4,000 yrs ago.  Nye said he would be convinced that the earth was only 4,000 years old if they could find evidence that the earth is not expanding -or- two other things he listed.  He said any evidence of one of the discoveries he mentioned would be enough to convince him that he could possibly take the creation story literally and accept the timeline.  

In Nam we are talking about the guy who believes humans and dinousaurs were created at the same time.  

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Feb 05 2014 at 5:33pm
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:39pm
I don't talk about gods unless I'm talking about religion/mythology/conceptual thinking
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

They simplified what he said.  Nam answered first and said I'm a Christian so nothing would convince me that the earth wasn't created exactly as described 4,000 yrs ago.  Nye said he would be convinced that the earth was only 4,000 years old if they could find evidence that the earth is not expanding -or- two other things he listed.  He said any evidence of one of the discoveries he mentioned would be enough to convince him that he could possibly take the creation story literally and accept the timeline.  

In Nam we are talking about the guy who believes humans and dinousaurs were created at the same time.  

Pointless debate if the man doesn't want evidence and shame on calling himself a scientist. He doesn't want to learn but push an agenda with no evidence.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:43pm
The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. Some use it with such conviction like they know exactly, 100% the vast extent of what it is they speak of....or, they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, or 'what God?'

Maybe I should have used the word universe instead.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:44pm
I have several thoughts about the debate.

It was successful for Ham. His job wasn't to "win" the debate or disprove evolution or science. It was to make creationism appear to be a legitimate alternative "theory" to casual people. He picked Bill Nye because Bill is well known, but not a biology or evolution expert. Bill has a engineering bachelors degree. Plus Bill is a nice guy and not abrasive so he won't call out lies in the debate, he'll simply say "I find that a bit troubling."

Ham made up terms (to confuse people) and did video interviews with creationist scientist, only because his main goal was to make creationism appear to be on par with any other discipline of science, even though they don't do the work that other scientist do. He wanted the debate to take the place of actually publishing the ideas in peer-reviewed journals. He also got a chance to promote the museum, which is reportedly struggling for funds. Nye presented his info well enough and he was very sincere but you can tell he isn't seasoned to debating someone like Ham.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Feb 05 2014 at 5:48pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:48pm
Thus the other reason the scientist refuses to debate creationists.  It automatically makes them feel that creationism = science simply for being allowed the platform.

In general though over 60% of Christians reject his thinking.  They feel like its possible to be religious w/o taking that narrow position.  His main argument against evolution was that you cannot observe the past.  The irony was lost on absolutely no oneLOL

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Feb 05 2014 at 5:48pm
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. Some use it with such conviction like they know exactly, 100% the vast extent of what it is they speak of....or, they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, or 'what God?'

Maybe I should have used the word universe instead.

I can deal with this. I know Thoth is real. He bitter though and post on the ic.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:51pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic