Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
mrshicks2002 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bigen and Henna
    Posted: May 28 2007 at 3:40pm
Is there really alot of difference in using Bigen over Henna. I know that henna will strenghten the hair, make it thicker and shiny, but will Bigen do the same. I have put in henna one time and I loved the way it made my hair look and feel, but I have heard some others say that it will only appear thicker for a period of time. So is it that I have to Henna more often to always get the thicker look to my hair. I see that some people henna once or twice a week.
Sponsored Links

latosha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:16pm
i don't know much about henna but i just used bigen a few weeks ago and i loved it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by latosha latosha wrote:

i don't know much about henna but i just used bigen a few weeks ago and i loved it.

What color did you use?
Gold_Y View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 5:52pm
I heard that Bigen is drying. . . Henna is more of a added bonus - treatment plus color.
Maybe you should research the two a bit more.
I ready that other dyes/hair colors have - para-phenylenediamine!

I found this article. . .

Allergy to paraphenylenediamine

What is paraphenylenediamine and where is it found?

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.

The use of PPD as a hair dye is popular because it is a permanent dye that gives a natural look. Hair can also be shampooed without becoming decoloured and perming to achieve waves or curls can be done without difficulty. PPD hair dyes usually come packaged as 2 bottles, one containing the PPD dye preparation and the other containing the developer or oxidizer. PPD is a colourless substance that requires oxygen for it to become coloured. It is this intermediate, partially oxidised state that may cause allergy in sensitive individuals. Fully oxidized PPD is not a sensitiser thus individuals with PPD allergy can wear wigs or fur coats dyed with PPD safely.

What are the reactions to PPD allergy?

Reaction caused by the use of hair dye in mild cases usually only involves dermatitis to the upper eyelids or the rims of the ears. In more severe cases, there may be marked reddening and swelling of the scalp and the face. The eyelids may completely close and the allergic contact dermatitis reaction may become widespread.

Severe allergy to PPD can result in contact urticaria and rarely, anaphylaxis.

People working with PPD such as hairdressers and film developers may develop dermatitis on their hands; patch testing usually reveals hypersensitivity to PPD. Occupational allergy to PPD has been found in a milk tester whom through laboratory work was in frequent contact with PPD solution. Dermatitis on the hands and occasional spreading to the arms and upper chest occurred.

HTH
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 6:29pm
Good article Gold_y Clap.

MrsHicks, your hair is doing so good with the henna.  If I were you, I would not change a thing.  You do not have to use henna very often.  Bigen is  a hair dye.  It has no strengthening properties.  Bigen do not work for some people.  But, from my experience, hmm, a very long time ago, Bigen dryed my hair out.  If you decide to use Bigen, I strongly urge you to do a strand test.  I myself, do not advocate using dye over henna.   If I can recall, you are not using henna for colour.  Every two months should be okay for you.  I love that henna on your hair.  I know that henna can be messy, but IMO, it is so worth it. I used the decorating bags from the cake supply store, and everything went well, when I did my own hair. Please, consider long, before you make a change.  Did I say, I love your hair with the henna??  Yes, yes, yes Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Claudie - May 28 2007 at 6:33pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

Good article Gold_y Clap.

MrsHicks, your hair is doing so good with the henna.  If I were you, I would not change a thing.  You do not have to use henna very often.  Bigen is  a hair dye.  It has no strengthening properties.  Bigen do not work for some people.  But, from my experience, hmm, a very long time ago, Bigen dryed my hair out.  If you decide to use Bigen, I strongly urge you to do a strand test.  I myself, do not advocate using dye over henna.   If I can recall, you are not using henna for colour.  Every two months should be okay for you.  I love that henna on your hair.  I know that henna can be messy, but IMO, it is so worth it. I used the decorating bags from the cake supply store, and everything went well, when I did my own hair. Please, consider long, before you make a change.  Did I say, I love your hair with the henna??  Yes, yes, yes Thumbs%20Up

Thanks Claudie, I didnt know that bigen was a permanent hair dye. I guess I was just thinking that if Henna will only thicken my hair temporary then what was the point. I want thick hair that will stay, but I guess with using products for that reason we cant always have it our way.Tongue
Thats a good idea about the disposable bags and I already have alot because I started taking wiltons cake decorating classes this month.
Thanks again for the compliment.Wink

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Gold_Y Gold_Y wrote:

I heard that Bigen is drying. . . Henna is more of a added bonus - treatment plus color.
Maybe you should research the two a bit more.
I ready that other dyes/hair colors have - para-phenylenediamine!

I found this article. . .

Allergy to paraphenylenediamine

What is paraphenylenediamine and where is it found?

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is a chemical substance that is widely used as a permanent hair dye. It may also been found in textile or fur dyes, dark coloured cosmetics, temporary tattoos, photographic developer and lithography plates, photocopying and printing inks, black rubber, oils, greases and gasoline.

The use of PPD as a hair dye is popular because it is a permanent dye that gives a natural look. Hair can also be shampooed without becoming decoloured and perming to achieve waves or curls can be done without difficulty. PPD hair dyes usually come packaged as 2 bottles, one containing the PPD dye preparation and the other containing the developer or oxidizer. PPD is a colourless substance that requires oxygen for it to become coloured. It is this intermediate, partially oxidised state that may cause allergy in sensitive individuals. Fully oxidized PPD is not a sensitiser thus individuals with PPD allergy can wear wigs or fur coats dyed with PPD safely.

What are the reactions to PPD allergy?

Reaction caused by the use of hair dye in mild cases usually only involves dermatitis to the upper eyelids or the rims of the ears. In more severe cases, there may be marked reddening and swelling of the scalp and the face. The eyelids may completely close and the allergic contact dermatitis reaction may become widespread.

Severe allergy to PPD can result in contact urticaria and rarely, anaphylaxis.

People working with PPD such as hairdressers and film developers may develop dermatitis on their hands; patch testing usually reveals hypersensitivity to PPD. Occupational allergy to PPD has been found in a milk tester whom through laboratory work was in frequent contact with PPD solution. Dermatitis on the hands and occasional spreading to the arms and upper chest occurred.

HTH

Thanks for the information.Wink
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic