BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BHM Entrepeneurs & Hustlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Sorry ladies...this is going to be looonnnngggg. 

True entrepreneurs are business people at the core of who they are. I really don't think this type of drive and determination can be learned. Some people are corporate entrepreneurs and others own businesses. The corporate entrepreneur and self-employed entrepreneur are same person....so I don't look down on people who WANT to work in corporate america. They add value...and they often enjoy the "game" of corporate america...just like a business owner enjoys the game of "risk" in business.

How to get out of the employee mindset? EVERYONE is the boss of themselves. I'm still at the stage where I work during the day and work on my other company at night. Anyhoo...my coworker came up to me with this sob story about not being able to charge all of her billable hours. (she's a contractor). Well, Im not the manager nor her HR recruiter...which is who she should take these things up with. You are responsible for your life, you run it...you are the boss. You don't want to work on the weekend? Be the boss of your life and take action to find another job where that is not required. You want a raise? Make an executive decision to say f-u to your current employer and shop your resume around, hire a recruiter, get a certification in your field, get a graduate degree.... whatever it takes for you to make the money you want.

For those that are thinking about starting a business. NEWSFLASH: it is not glitz and glamour. You may not work for corporation but do you work for someone...your customer/clients. Its not about doing what you want to, its about doing what you have to WHEN you don't WANT to. Working for a company is easy. You go to work, do the tasks assigned and get paid for it. There is absolutely no risk. And for most people, that's enough. 

The biggest piece of advice I can give based of off mistakes I've made:
1. Get a coach. A real coach. Not a life coach. Someone who has built a successful business in your exact industry. Want to build a million dollar accounting firm? find someone who has already done that. Why? Because (1) you get access to their Rolodex. A problem to you is a simple email/phone to them. They are there to eliminate problems in your life. (2)A good coach will challenge you not only on the simple mundane things but really make you think about your long term strategy and how you'll get there. 

2. Define what success means to you. What's your strategy? Your end goal? You may love to make soaps...it gives you peace and brings joy to your life. You have a few accounts at Whole Foods that allows you replace your current salary and cover business expenses. And you can still have dinner with your family everyday at 6:30pm. What if you got an account with Bath and Body Works? Would that change your life for the better? If you left corporate america for the long hours... do you really want to build your own corporation? 

3. Network with right business owners. Sometimes when people are just starting their businesses, they go to every networking event on planet. Check the audience of these networking events, if its come 1 come all....is just a place to get rid of business cards. But if you are a jewelry maker... networking with other product based businesses could be helpful when it comes to packaging, product photography, manufacturing, etc...things that are relevant to your business. 

4. When it doubt, take the next step. :) Don't get caught in the business plan, the legal entities and such. Yes-have a plan, yes-have your legal paper work in order. But do you know how many ppl have legal entities and business plans? thousands, probably millions but that doesn't make them entrepreneurs. That makes them people who like to TALK about having a business, they like the IDEA of having a business. Don't be that person. ACT....DO.....

All the best ladies! 

Great advice. 

Quoting for emphasis.
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 12:49pm
and great thread and topic OP

A book suggestion to those interested in the topic: 

EntreLeadership: 20 years of practical business wisdom from the trenches - Dave Ramsey

MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 1:03pm
Purp thanks for posting the book..I'm going to get it on audible
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2013 at 1:37pm
Me and my husband both have side businesses. Its not quite to the point where we can quit our day jobs but it is bringing in money and within the next few years I'm faithful that we will be in a position to not have to work for anyone. We are both doing something that we are passionate about. We both hate answering to people. I hate the word boss too. It feels good to know that a gift/talent that you possess can make money. God gives everyone talent. Some more than others. It is a shame when people let their gifts go to waste. 
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

This reminds me...I have an invention (a hair tool) but I haven't figured out where to get started. In my mind it works...but I guess I need to find a manufacturer to make one right? I don't even know.

If you have an invention...a licensing agreement may something to consider. There's a man by name of Stephen Keys that specializes in this. http://www.inventright.com

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:52pm
Another book suggestion is No More Mondays: Fire Yourself - and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work by Dan Miller

Just finished this book and its a great read. 

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 10:29pm
Damn - it is so sad that a thread about KK gets more replies than this thread!
That shows that most of us are not focusing on what really matters in lifeOuch
mzmee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mzmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

For those of you who work for your selves, how did you get out of the employee mentality and into the boss/owner mindset? What was the transition like? What steps did you have to take to build your own business? How do you find clients/customers? Do you ever miss working for someone else?

If you don't mind could you give a background into how you started your business, what type of work you do, and just your journey in general?

how did you get out of the employee mentality and into the boss/owner mindset? With me, I just became completely frustrated at how things were going working for other people. I really didn't put any thought into transitioning from employee to boss mentality. I knew it I deserved more that what I was being handed at the time; I just went for it. If that makes sense. 

What was the transition like? It was easy for me maybe because I was so eager to take charge of my own life. 

What steps did you have to take to build your own business? How do you find clients/customers? I'm a daycare provider that owns a group home daycare. I had to go through Illinois DCFS system to get licensed and take 6 credit hours of Early Childhood Education. I advertise locally, at schools, youth centers. I am currently partnered with 2 daycare centers, a preschool program, 3 women's shelters and a state run job training program. Most of my clients come from these sources. 

I started off with maybe $200 worth of furniture from second hand stores and old toys my kids didn't play with. I will try to edit tomorrow and add more of my experience. I'm tired and worn out today. 

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:14am
Originally posted by mzmee mzmee wrote:

Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

For those of you who work for your selves, how did you get out of the employee mentality and into the boss/owner mindset? What was the transition like? What steps did you have to take to build your own business? How do you find clients/customers? Do you ever miss working for someone else?

If you don't mind could you give a background into how you started your business, what type of work you do, and just your journey in general?

how did you get out of the employee mentality and into the boss/owner mindset? With me, I just became completely frustrated at how things were going working for other people. I really didn't put any thought into transitioning from employee to boss mentality. I knew it I deserved more that what I was being handed at the time; I just went for it. If that makes sense. 

What was the transition like? It was easy for me maybe because I was so eager to take charge of my own life. 

What steps did you have to take to build your own business? How do you find clients/customers? I'm a daycare provider that owns a group home daycare. I had to go through Illinois DCFS system to get licensed and take 6 credit hours of Early Childhood Education. I advertise locally, at schools, youth centers. I am currently partnered with 2 daycare centers, a preschool program, 3 women's shelters and a state run job training program. Most of my clients come from these sources. 

I started off with maybe $200 worth of furniture from second hand stores and old toys my kids didn't play with. I will try to edit tomorrow and add more of my experience. I'm tired and worn out today. 

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

My SO wants to do something similar. He currently teaches special ed students and would like to own group homes. 
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2013 at 11:38am
If you are a small business owner in NYC and is interested in a vendor opportunity, please send me a p.m.
The location is looking for vendors in the following: hair/body/fragrance, makeup, toys, soft accessories (hats, scarves, knits), clothing (nothing pricey please), books, and even DIY (handcrafts, sweets).

Cute small holiday event for children and families in needSmile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>