BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

BHM Entrepeneurs & Hustlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 2:32pm
Sorry ladies...this is going to be looonnnngggg. 

True entrepreneurs are business people at the core of who they are. I really don't think this type of drive and determination can be learned. Some people are corporate entrepreneurs and others own businesses. The corporate entrepreneur and self-employed entrepreneur are same person....so I don't look down on people who WANT to work in corporate america. They add value...and they often enjoy the "game" of corporate america...just like a business owner enjoys the game of "risk" in business.

How to get out of the employee mindset? EVERYONE is the boss of themselves. I'm still at the stage where I work during the day and work on my other company at night. Anyhoo...my coworker came up to me with this sob story about not being able to charge all of her billable hours. (she's a contractor). Well, Im not the manager nor her HR recruiter...which is who she should take these things up with. You are responsible for your life, you run it...you are the boss. You don't want to work on the weekend? Be the boss of your life and take action to find another job where that is not required. You want a raise? Make an executive decision to say f-u to your current employer and shop your resume around, hire a recruiter, get a certification in your field, get a graduate degree.... whatever it takes for you to make the money you want.

For those that are thinking about starting a business. NEWSFLASH: it is not glitz and glamour. You may not work for corporation but do you work for someone...your customer/clients. Its not about doing what you want to, its about doing what you have to WHEN you don't WANT to. Working for a company is easy. You go to work, do the tasks assigned and get paid for it. There is absolutely no risk. And for most people, that's enough. 

The biggest piece of advice I can give based of off mistakes I've made:
1. Get a coach. A real coach. Not a life coach. Someone who has built a successful business in your exact industry. Want to build a million dollar accounting firm? find someone who has already done that. Why? Because (1) you get access to their Rolodex. A problem to you is a simple email/phone to them. They are there to eliminate problems in your life. (2)A good coach will challenge you not only on the simple mundane things but really make you think about your long term strategy and how you'll get there. 

2. Define what success means to you. What's your strategy? Your end goal? You may love to make soaps...it gives you peace and brings joy to your life. You have a few accounts at Whole Foods that allows you replace your current salary and cover business expenses. And you can still have dinner with your family everyday at 6:30pm. What if you got an account with Bath and Body Works? Would that change your life for the better? If you left corporate america for the long hours... do you really want to build your own corporation? 

3. Network with right business owners. Sometimes when people are just starting their businesses, they go to every networking event on planet. Check the audience of these networking events, if its come 1 come all....is just a place to get rid of business cards. But if you are a jewelry maker... networking with other product based businesses could be helpful when it comes to packaging, product photography, manufacturing, etc...things that are relevant to your business. 

4. When it doubt, take the next step. :) Don't get caught in the business plan, the legal entities and such. Yes-have a plan, yes-have your legal paper work in order. But do you know how many ppl have legal entities and business plans? thousands, probably millions but that doesn't make them entrepreneurs. That makes them people who like to TALK about having a business, they like the IDEA of having a business. Don't be that person. ACT....DO.....

All the best ladies! 
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 5:06pm
Well said, goodm3. This is precisely why I kept my side hustle a side a side hustle.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 7:44pm
I hope more entrepreneurs reply to this thread...but they are probably busy :)
melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2013 at 2:50pm
I would like to start an online business one day but I want to find the right product/service that I want to sell/promote
305bgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote 305bgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 8:40pm
I have a non-profit organization and despite what many people think, you can get paid decently. I have always hated working for others and I am a control freak(Virgo ish), so starting my own business was a must. It does take a lot of investing of both money and time. Quality, marketing, passion, and networking are the essentials to getting a business off of the ground. Most people take losses when first starting a business, so don't get discouraged. For non-profits, becoming a 501c3 is a must in order to obtain grants. Depending on the organization's goals/mission, I suggest checking with your city and state for grants first.

Edited by 305bgirl - Nov 03 2013 at 8:45pm
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:17pm
Thank you Good! That was beyond insightful.

Go head 305!
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Mom was an addict for most of my life.  She got sober about 6 or 7 years ago.  Since then she has cleaned up her rap sheet, got her Associates and is now working her BA, has gotten her credit to A+ which in turn has helped her get her house which she bought last Sept and her new truck (with no money down) which she bought a few months ago.    What she's accomplished from where she started....i'm still amazed and a bit intimidated when I think about it.

What an incredible woman! That's a serious testimony
305bgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 305bgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 3:27am
   Oh and to add, knowing your target audience , market and the competition within your market is important for any business. This will help you know how to go about marketing and how to set your prices/rates. Budgeting is another huge thing. Calculate how much you need in sales/grants etc in order to break even or make whatever goal as far as your profit is concerned. Take the time and make a realistic plan as to how you will reach that profit. Always remember that the lower you keep your costs, the greater your "take home pay" will be.. Maintaining a positive reputation and image for your business is another essential. Whenever there are complaints or whatever the case may be, try your best to correct it because word of mouth can make or destroy a business(This includes online bashing and verbal bashing)

Nowadays, there are so many ways to market and social media is a really great way to imo. Having an online presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter is a great way to reach the masses. I'm still learning a lot and building but it is definitely worth it. I also find that surrounding yourself with positivity and successsful people is one of the best things that you can do. You can learn from people within your field and other fields; don't limit your growth by only feeling the need to network with people within your field. We need more Black business owners; let's take over! I have noticed that here in Miami Yt Latinos are taking over because they are owning more and more sh#t. We need to step it up all over thie U.S.

Edited by 305bgirl - Nov 04 2013 at 12:05pm
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 10:21am
Maaaaan
Read "rich dad poor dad"
Or listen to the book free online.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 10:41am
I am a real estate wholesaler.
For the sake of time, if you don't know what it is just Google it.

I have always wanted to be rich/wealthy.
I have always wanted to be involved in real estate.

I read rich dad poor dad.
Read other real estate books.
Followed the directions of people that have what I want.
Started marketing. Started meeting clients, and almost made 30k between May and July.
The reason I didn't can be explained if you all are interested.

Im in the military now but once I get out I can focus on real estate full time.

If any of you are interested in making money through real estate without using any of your own $, im me.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic