Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

BHM Can We Talk About School?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BHM Can We Talk About School?
    Posted: May 09 2013 at 3:30am
This is sort of a spinoff thread.

What is going on with the school system in the US at the elementary level?  I did a school visit two months ago, and I have to say I was shocked by what I was seeing.  The kids did not have recess, they just had 10 minutes to eat a snack and they had to stay in their chairs.  They had, like 30 minutes for lunch and that was the only time they had for recess. 

Is this the reason why so many kids are being diagnosed with ADHD? 

At the school I teach at here, kids get a 5 minute break between every class period (40 minutes).  They have a 15 minute recess in the morning and 50 minutes for lunch and recess.  1st and 2nd graders go home after lunch time.  Students go to school for 2 classes every other Saturday.  There are a lot of times when they are in school, but they aren't actually studying, yet they manage to out perform American students in math and science.  My kids are producing language arts work that is almost at grade level (English is their third language). 

So...what's the deal?
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 3:54am
It seems both student and teachers aren't passionate to learn or teach anymore. Add that to schools constantly being martyrs to budget cuts and everyone suffers further!

It's as if educative priority has been pushed back for everyone.

It's gotten to a point now where I'm reading articles of schools being planned to be shut down to save money the city money in urban areas, smh.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:02am
They got these intricate playgrounds at the schools here. Pretty sure they have recess. 
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:07am
Are they also used after school?

The only recess I saw was during lunch time. 
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:52am
Yes the school system has changed and in most ways not for the better. Sadly I see the education system becoming the next cash cow. Unfortunately nothing will change until people demand change!

I've always desired an education reform that encompass the old and new. Without going into details the old activities that help solidify the love of learning or courses like home economics, fine arts real gym and recess, field trips and new school the technology.

People don't realize that college tuition and probably requirements to are on the rise. Hell everything is increasing (becoming more competitive) except for the quality of education. The kids are taught to test, test that are chosen not because it will help but because it was a lucrative deal.

There are so many great educational softwares or techniques that go unnoticed bc it's not back by the right people or offer no incentive to the higher ups.

I hate the fact education gets the least amount of funding and is usually one of the first things to get cut.

Rant over...got alot on my mind and this was the perfect outlet.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 6:32am
The thing I was really concerned with was that the kids were studying non-stop and I guess I was there on a language arts and mathematics day because that's all they did.  I should have asked about some of the other extra curricular activities they had besides gym, but I was mainly concerned with the lack of diversity in the daily schedule. 

From what I understand, school starts at 8:20 and finishes at 2:40.  At 8AM, there is "morning recess," but I don't believe students are necessarily supposed to be on campus until 8:20, but I should probably ask some follow up questions about that.

Over here, school is 8:30-3PM the kids must be in homeroom by 8:30A and they stay until 8:45A.  The kids don't really do anything and on Mondays, they don't start their classes until 9:30A.  Sometimes the students are finished before 3PM.  So, the kids end up going to school LESS than American students do.  The teachers have LESS contact hours with the students. 

I want to know who in America thought it was a good idea to make education a capitalistic venture?  Sure, it will benefit SOME people economically in the short term, but over the long term, it will ultimately damage society by producing dummies.  Anyone can tell you that the more tools you give a child to learn, the more successful they will be.  I get a budget where I can buy all sorts of stuff--games, books--anything, as long as there is an element of learning to it.  Teachers in the US have to pay for this stuff out of pocket or write a 1,000-page grant application if they want $20 for a set of pencils. 

I have so many pet peeves about the American educational system.  When my sister was going to school, they decided not to emphasize the importance of grammar.  My sister's writing is shyt.
loveandpeace1984 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote loveandpeace1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 6:55am
Capitalism has ran its course and now the merchants or now entrepenuers are now reducing everything. Intellect, education, higher learning and higher knowledge is looked down upon in America society and probably in the near future despised and creating servants and slaves who don't care. School is suppose to be engaging and thought provoking developing critical thinking skills, parents are suppose to teach them and help them grow as people. It's a community task for bettering society.

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

They got these intricate playgrounds at the schools here. Pretty sure they have recess. 
I went to a school like this and we never used it. It was weird
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:17am
Well for new york (because each state is different and even than each county might be different) I feel it has todo with paying the teachers everytime the teachers fight for some sort of raise they tske away from students. A lot of elementary schools have no more after school. When i was growing up we could stay in school til 6 or 7 and join multiple clubs or hang in the library or in the play yard. No more science fairs ( you have to search hard for schools with these benifits.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:20am
Idw to blame the patents but parents need to realize they play such an important role. I see so many parents just send their kids off like s hool is a daycare. Parents need to get involved in what's happening with their kids. There's only so much a teacher can do if there is no reinforcement at home
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic