Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

best way to protect your hair under wig?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best way to protect your hair under wig?
    Posted: Jan 29 2011 at 8:05am
I have had problems with my edges after long term wig wearing.  My best advice is to continue to take out the combs.  I would put a moisturizing oil on my edges before I put the wig on.  I did not wear a satin cap or a wig cap because for me it seemed like those items were rubbing my edges after daily wear.

I do know that having your hair completly braided up underneath your wig helps.  I also rotated and would wear a wig for 3 wigs, then switch....to a ponytail.....then wear that for 2 weeks....and...now ...THANK YOU JESUS....KNOW.... I have added the morning glory gro protect weave option....(I posted a subject about this called my weave problem).....then you swith back to your wigs.  I find for me ROTATION is the only way to truly protect MY EDGES.  ANd I am so thankful to GOD, that now they have weave hair that is precut, precurled, already layers, quatro packs with 8,10,12 inch hair so you just glue and GO.

Everyone is different and some people can wear wigs for YEARS and have no problem.  I am not one of those people.Ouch

Edited by sunshine321511 - Jan 29 2011 at 8:08am
Sponsored Links

Mila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 11:30pm
Thks for the tips, i ,ve been thinking abt this issue also.  I will try the rotation idea this summer.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2011 at 12:40pm
thanks for the tips.  right now, i'm re-growing my hair after a setback.  Weaves or wearing the hair out is not an option right now. My hair is too fragile for weaves, and they've broken my hair off in the past.

After another current set back - My hair broke off in a large reverse mohawk.. thus, i'd look weird with it out. 

Once my hair has grown out to a certain length, i will do the rotation concept to keep the hair protected.

Also, i've also heard many women are throwing out their wig caps because of their edges being eaten away. I you tubed a woman who teaches folks how to wear a wig.  In the video, she dons a wig cap.  But when i asked her if she wore it regularly, i was told "No, it's really not necessary", and she did not wear it at all..

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2011 at 12:52am
i always wore a wig cap under my wigs and did not have an issue...i think the key is to keep your hair moisturized underneath and make sure that the cap is not pulling your edges back.  so, the cap can sit on your edges, but should not help to slick them back, if you catch my drift.

i would not put my hair under a wig without something over it b/c there are so many things that can snag your own hair and cause breakage.  i also do not use those combs...they will definitely cause some damage after a while.

i wore wigs from may to december without a problem, but i took them off as soon as i got home from work, rarely wore them for more than a couple of hours on the weekend, kept my hair moisturized, washed weekly, and dc'ed bi-weekly.
LIZZETTE81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIZZETTE81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2011 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

i always wore a wig cap under my wigs and did not have an issue...i think the key is to keep your hair moisturized underneath and make sure that the cap is not pulling your edges back.  so, the cap can sit on your edges, but should not help to slick them back, if you catch my drift.

i would not put my hair under a wig without something over it b/c there are so many things that can snag your own hair and cause breakage.  i also do not use those combs...they will definitely cause some damage after a while.

i wore wigs from may to december without a problem, but i took them off as soon as i got home from work, rarely wore them for more than a couple of hours on the weekend, kept my hair moisturized, washed weekly, and dc'ed bi-weekly.
Great advice, I do the same thing as HR. I keep my edges VERY VERY moisturized (every night I apply the product that am using for the week on my edges); and a leave-in conditioner is a plus.  I only use the "Net" wig caps, they stay better for me, and my hair gets air even if it is covered. The other wig caps squishes my head and I get migrains. I do not buy wigs that has those stupid combs in the front, talkin' about severe hair breakage.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply