Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
sapphire2y View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: best texturizer for 4a
    Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 8:00pm
I'm getting my 1st texturizer this weekend and I was wondering which product is the best.  I have 4a hair.   I'm thinking of using either an S curl or motions texturizer.  Please let me know if you have tried any of these or something that turned out better.  I'm really not planning to texlax because I've had too many issues with hair breakage from relaxers. 

Thanks
Sponsored Links

afrosista View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 4:24pm
as far as i know s-curl works great with pretty much all hair types, but then again, you'll never know till you try. my hair is 4a/b n i use s curl products n its fabulous!
sweetpuff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:04pm

I have 4a/b hair and I did a Scurl in my hair in may. Worked wonderful for the summer and my hair loved it. Still do.

The problem is that I never knew (the stylist who did my hair never told me ) that I can't mix Scurl (curly perms) with relaxers. Now I'm stuck with it. I either have to grow it out or chop it off and start from scratch (which would be VERY frustrating for me).

Right now, I alternate between wash-n-go styles, baggy method+scarf+phony puff and flat ironing. It's okay but I am still frustrated that I can't smooth my 2 inches of new growth with a relaxer (left half the time=texlax) to make a nice texture transition.

Bottom line is, shop for short medium and long term. I only know Scurl and I love it but not for the long term.

here is my fotki if you want some ideas : www.fotki.com/sweetpuff  it's still new.
Candygirl2006 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 2:00pm
I read this on the website www.growafrohairlong.com regarding texturizers and other curly perms. This scared me out of getting a texturizer because I wanted wash n go, but I still want to wear braids occasionally or straight hair......Has anyone with a S-Curl noticed the issues listed below?

Jehri Curls, Wave Nouveau, S-Curls
These perms are truly permanent. There is a great limitation. The hair strand are always porous and needs constant moisture to prevent the strands from breaking. You risk severe shedding if you blow dry and flat iron your hair. Good nutrition may not help the porosity of the already permanent strands.

Braid extensions can not be worn over this perm. The permed hair will break severely since the hair is porous already.

Jehri Curls are only to be worn in one style, curly and moist. You can achieve growth, but there is always constant cutting off of old hair towards the ends that have become too frail because of its porosity. There is a limit in reaching your maximum hair growth--- your hair's full potential of long strong healthy hair.

natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by sweetpuff sweetpuff wrote:

I have 4a/b hair and I did a Scurl in my hair in may. Worked wonderful for the summer and my hair loved it. Still do.

The problem is that I never knew (the stylist who did my hair never told me ) that I can't mix Scurl (curly perms) with relaxers. Now I'm stuck with it. I either have to grow it out or chop it off and start from scratch (which would be VERY frustrating for me).

Right now, I alternate between wash-n-go styles, baggy method+scarf+phony puff and flat ironing. It's okay but I am still frustrated that I can't smooth my 2 inches of new growth with a relaxer (left half the time=texlax) to make a nice texture transition.

Bottom line is, shop for short medium and long term. I only know Scurl and I love it but not for the long term.

here is my fotki if you want some ideas : www.fotki.com/sweetpuff  it's still new.
Your hair is goregous. You are very beautiful too. I have been contemplating S curl Text. Needless to say your pics convinced me. Been using Silk Elements prior.
loonatick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by sweetpuff sweetpuff wrote:

hey SweetPuff i left a message in ur Fotki
sweetpuff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 8:40am
Natural girl and loonatick, thanks girls! it means a lot to me!!

Okay, this is the part where I explain my frustration.
By looking at another forum I thought that to either chop off my hair if I wanted to change products or continue with  the Scurl. Thanks to a wonderful member of this forum (thanks a MILLION TIMES, zahira1983!!), I understood that I Scurl is a texturizer, and that I just have to moisturize and go on and experiment with other texturizers.

Now. for that Grow afro hair thing (I've been on the site numerous times)
here is my experience. I'm sorry it's kinda long:

Jehri Curls, Wave Nouveau, S-Curls (I have Scurl regular. My hair is 4a/b(in the back)

These perms are truly permanent. There is a great limitation. The hair strand are always porous and needs constant moisture to prevent the strands from breaking. You risk severe shedding if you blow dry and flat iron your hair (they forgot the word:"everyday" like any other person. but I know i'd be more prone to breakage. I can blow dry once a week but be assured that I put leave in and heat protectant before
Flat iron: yah. I'm still perfecting the style. I have to give an extra good reason to flat iron my hair more than once a week. Honestly. The style is fresh for two days. after that I apoligoze to my hair and  do the baggie method or just rinse it out.).
Good nutrition may not help the porosity of the already permanent strands.  (it doesn't hurt. never does. STOP eating McDonalds and fried stuff!LOL)

Braid extensions can not be worn over this perm. The permed hair will break severely since the hair is porous already. Psh. Whatever. I say they are true for micro braids. But one week after putting the Scurl in my hair, I went to do braids (not too heavy/cornrowd in the front, individual in the back) to go in vacation (low maintenance). Be assured that everyday I'd spray my hair AT LEAST TWICE with a mixture of water, infusium23, Scurl curl definition and essential oil (peppermint and eucalyptus ). I took them off 3- 4 weeks after. I was fine. I just did wah-n-go  for the next month. ther is one picture in my fotki under "braids" of that.

Jehri Curls are only to be worn in one style, curly and moist. You can achieve growth, but there is always constant cutting off of old hair towards the ends that have become too frail because of its porosity. There is a limit in reaching your maximum hair growth--- your hair's full potential of long strong healthy hair. I don't know anything about Jehri Curls.

Than again, this is MY experience with Scurl. It doesn't mean it's the same for evrybody.
hope this helps.

Edited by sweetpuff - Oct 06 2006 at 8:42am
Candygirl2006 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 8:58am
Thanks for the response to the website info, Sweetpuff.....there are so many conflicting things out there and it's good to here from someone who's tried some of this stuff.

I think I'm going to try Zahira's tex-laxing method because I'm at least familiar with relaxers and I know I can get braids, weaves, etc......with it to give my hair a break(or myself when I get lazy!lol)

By the way.....what is this baggie method everyone is talking about?
loonatick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 9:14am

one thing i dont understand is that S Curl is a mild form of relaxer, it is sodium hydroxide, so why is that any different from normal relaxers?

If anything i would have thought S Curl would be more safer than full strength relalxer, as they cant overprocess the hair.

Anyone feel differently? 

sweetpuff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 9:18am
For he baggie method, I first saw it here:

I don't use vaseline. I use Organic Roots Stimulator's hair lotion.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic