Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Best Man Holiday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 10 Votes, Average 2.90  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KeraNykole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KeraNykole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 7:45am
***SPOILER***

I didn't have high hopes for this movie. From the previews, it seemed as though it would be a tacky comedy.

Man, was I wrong!! This movie was EXCELLENT!!! It kept me engaged from begining to end. I loved how it started with scenes from the last movie.

My favorite part was definately the guys putting on the talent show Heart!!! I just blushed my butt off as if they were singing to me...hahaha!!

Mia's story was heartbreaking...I wasn't prepared for that Cry.

I wasn't really feeling the relationship between Jordan and her dude. It didn't seem authentic.

And am I the only one that think Shelby's daughter is Q's daughter?? I just had a feeling this whole movie that it would come out that he fathered that little girl!!! I think it'll tie into the next one surrounding him getting married.

All in all, I thought it was  GREAT movie!!! I give it 9 out of 10. I take a point away from the excessive use of profanity. Damn they cursed a lot in this movie! Stern Smile

It was funny, emotional, sad...and it was very well written! Great flick!!!
Sponsored Links

Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chyna_Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 9:07am
Originally posted by KeraNykole KeraNykole wrote:

***SPOILER***

I didn't have high hopes for this movie. From the previews, it seemed as though it would be a tacky comedy.

Man, was I wrong!! This movie was EXCELLENT!!! It kept me engaged from begining to end. I loved how it started with scenes from the last movie.

My favorite part was definately the guys putting on the talent show Heart!!! I just blushed my butt off as if they were singing to me...hahaha!!

I wasn't really feeling the relationship between Jordan and her dude. It didn't seem authentic.

And am I the only one that think Shelby's daughter is Q's daughter?? I just had a feeling this whole movie that it would come out that he fathered that little girl!!! I think it'll tie into the next one surrounding him getting married.

All in all, I thought it was  GREAT movie!!! I give it 9 out of 10. I take a point away from the excessive use of profanity. Damn they cursed a lot in this movie! Stern Smile

YES 
that is his kid.
i thought it was going to come out.
i guess part 3 will reveal that
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2013 at 9:30am
I thought the same thing as well.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 8:07am
I do hope this trend continues.   Thor wasn't nearly as good as TBMH. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Best Man Holiday and the Wisdom of Box Office Counterprogramming

By Bilge Ebiri

Thor: The Dark World may have ultimately emerged on top, but the real story at the box office this past weekend was the surprising strength of a sequel without superpowers. The Best Man Holiday grossed an estimated $30.6 million from 2,024 theaters for an impressive $15,115 per-screen average—and it actually beat Thor on Friday, taking $10.7 million to the Norse god’s $10.5 million.

Those are excellent numbers by any measure. The film cost only about $17 million, so it’s already made its money back. The original film, released in 1999, opened to $9 million and eventually grossed $34 million. Its second life came on video and television, where it accrued a real following over the years. Additionally, The Best Man was an early example of successful romantic comedies featuring largely black casts, helping start a trend that continues to this day.

It would be a mistake, however, to ascribe the success of The Best Man Holiday chiefly to the race of its characters. USA Today got into a bit of trouble this weekend when it ran a story with a headline suggesting the film was “race-themed,” sparking some angry feedback and an eventual headline change. “With that logic, then Girls is ‘race-themed’ too,” replied one blog.

“Whenever a movie targeted at African Americans does strong business, it serves as a reminder that this is an audience that has historically been underserved by Hollywood,” notes Ray Subers of Box Office Mojo. “It’s simplistic and inaccurate, though, to assume that any movie with a largely African-American cast is going to be successful. If that were the case, 2013’s Ba ge Claim and Tyler Perry Presents Peeples would have opened to more than $9 million and $4.6 million, respectively.”

That said, The Best Man Holiday speaks to a number of trends we’ve seen at the box office recently: films that target nonwhite demographics (yes, it’s directed by and starring African Americans, and 87 percent of the audience was black), appeal to women (75 percent of the audience was female), skew older (63 percent of the audience was 35 and above), and are R-rated comedies (if it makes it to $100 million, it will be the seventh R-rated comedy to do so this year). If anything, what The Best Man Holiday’s success points to is just good old-fashioned counterprogramming: What better movie to open against the fanboy fodder of an amped-up Thor sequel than this soft, touching, Christmas-themed romantic comedy?

As Subers notes, “Simply making a movie that’s targeted to a specific audience isn’t enough—the movie actually has to seem appealing to that audience.” And indeed, The Best Man Holiday got a glowing (and rare) A+ CinemaScore grade, which suggests it will have good legs in the coming weeks. Will it need them? The new Hunger Games sequel opens this week, and while it will obviously appeal to female audiences, the movie will still play a lot younger. So Holiday may prove surprisingly resilient against Catching Fire’s sure-to-be-eye-popping box office. More importantly, good word-of-mouth will likely prove to be invaluable going into the crowded holiday season.

Expect further good news for The Best Man franchise—and, inevitably, another sequel.

Ebiri is a Bloomberg Businessweek contributor.

sweetskul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetskul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Luv2Teach Luv2Teach wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Did y'all see the two Kevin Hart movies in the trailers?

He was in 3 movie trailers when I went:

Ride Along
The movie with Michael Ealy
The one with Slyvester Stallone

And I know he's working on one with Will Farrell to be released next year too AND Think Like A Man Too

Kevin Hart gonna be eating good next year. 
i saw him in 5 trailers LOL
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 12:50pm
Hubby and I went after work yesterday and I cried half of the movie...that damn Cancer in me..smh..The movie was excellant...
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 4:19pm
I liked the movie as well.........

You can't reveal the plot without telling valuable information.....
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 6:56pm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

I do hope this trend continues.   Thor wasn't nearly as good as TBMH. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Whenever a movie targeted at African Americans does strong business, it serves as a reminder that this is an audience that has historically been underserved by Hollywood,” notes Ray Subers of Box Office Mojo. “It’s simplistic and inaccurate, though, to assume that any movie with a largely African-American cast is going to be successful. If that were the case, 2013’s Ba ge Claim and Tyler Perry Presents Peeples would have opened to more than $9 million and $4.6 million, respectively.”

As Subers notes, “Simply making a movie that’s targeted to a specific audience isn’t enough—the movie actually has to seem appealing to that audience.”

Yes and no to the first bold lined sentence;  I think not only there are good movies with a largely black cast being made, but also blacks want to support their own people. I am glad that Best Man Holiday made 30 million so fast, and I hope the movie cashes in at least 50 million before it stops running at the movie theaters. With thanksgiving coming up, a lot of people will be going to the movies, and who wants to watch that chubby faced Jennifer-whoever when they can watch good looking black men wearing a suit? Smile
lanae View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Chyna_Li Chyna_Li wrote:

Originally posted by KeraNykole KeraNykole wrote:

***SPOILER***

YES 
that is his kid.
i thought it was going to come out.
i guess part 3 will reveal that

Nah I think her daughter was a 'come up' baby by some baller
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs