Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Belle (trailer)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 3:15pm
Heard about this movie not sure if I want to see it. When does it come to redbox?
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 2:53am
It's crazy how Belle Hooks has a nearly identical analysis of Belle (and 12 Yrs) as I

If you haven't seen this movie, you should really see it

29:30

http://new.livestream.com/TheNewSchool/Transgression-In-Public-Spaces-bell-hooks

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

The movie is dope because she doesn't play the TROPE that Halle 'yessa massa' Berry played in Queen.

There is so much more dignity for Black/biracial women in this movie then there has been for others because....

1. It's about her. She is the lead, she is the star. You feel HER pain and you're concerned with HER plight

2. Her father claims her (this is a central theme in the movie) whereas her full white cousin is not claimed by her father

3. While this could be considered a romance movie, I personally felt that romance was in the backdrop of the main issue. The main issue was the immorality of Black bodies being considered valueless lives but valuable cargo

4. She doesn't beg to be accepted. She is accepted (though not entirely) by many and when she's not she certainly doesn't beg

5. She is not simply pretty, she is smart and an activist at heart. She is the real hero of the story, the Whites are just a vessel

In 12 Years a Slave, black/biracial women are in the background abused and used. Their feelings, trials and tribulations are not central to the story. It felt like slave p0rn. Very melodramatic with no real purpose. Not the worst slave movie but not the best either

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 2:57am
I was hoping that that was the case Alias.  I missed it at the Theatres but I do want to check it out.
Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 9:34am
Newdiva, It's on Amazon prime video right now. Idk if its on Netflix- it wasn't a couple of weeks ago when I checked. Its not on Comcast yet. 

Alias- thanks for that review. Im going to watch it this week.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 10:59am
It's at the Redbox now.
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 2:39pm
It was a great movie! It's been online for awhile for those websavvy enough to watch on streaming sites.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 3:50pm
it was forgettable IMO!
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 12:01pm
I just red boxed it.
Now that was a good f*ckin movie.
The writing was very good. A lot of English soul burning ether was being handed out.
2thumbs up.

Edited by OoDles O - Oct 15 2014 at 12:16pm
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 12:19pm
Not my type of movie
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2014 at 8:04pm
I don't want to be dismissive, I went to see this movie because I saw a black female director and brown female lead.
IMO she was not accepted she was trapped by her wealth and status and female sex. She was almost raped and forced into marriage to a man whom was marrying her in spite of her Half-blackness which she is reminded of everyday because she can not Eat with her family.. in the main dinning area. As I said I don't even remember most of this movie, with the exception of the painting- her marrying a broke white man and the feeling of her being conflicted

To compare this to 12 years a slave is unfair.. I think 12 years was a good movie, great acting and emotional.     There is room for both these types of movies (they are supposed to be close to true stories)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic