Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Being Universal"... Do you agree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Being Universal"... Do you agree?
    Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:17am
I'm reminded of Zoe Saldana and Will Smith reading this

being universal

Mon 27 May 2013 by abagond

“Being universal” is the idea that there is a way of being human that is beyond culture and ethnicity, that one can transcend race. Like wanting to be known as a writer, not as a “black writer”.

There is no such thing as being universal. You cannot be human without practising a particular culture. To be universal you would have to practise a universal culture. There is no such thing. Those who think there is have bought into one of two related ideas:

• The White Default: Many White Americans like to think they have no culture, that they are beyond race and ethnicity, that they are just people. But all they are doing is being blind to their own race and ethnicity. Everyone is “ethnic”, everyone practises a particular culture.
  • Western universalism: The West sees itself as universal, as meant for the whole human race, as what history has been leading to all along. It sees the spread of its inventions, languages and practices as proof of that. But that success, at bottom, came at gunpoint. Western culture is no more naturally universal than Chinese, Iroquois or Igbo culture.

Langston Hughes pointed out during the Harlem Renaissance that wanting to be a “writer” instead of a “black writer” means wanting to be a “white writer”, wanting to be white. Trying to “transcend race” or “just be American” (or British or French, etc) means, in practice, trying to be white. Trying to be “non-ethnic” simply means exchanging one’s own ethnicity for another.

But that is not the worst of it:

“Being universal” buys into the idea that there is something wrong with one’s own culture, ethnicity or race, that it is not as good, as valuable, as human. That it cannot be a centre of art, beauty, objectivity, truth. That only white is beautiful. This is known as internalized racism. It is choosing the white doll.

It means not being yourself, not being true to who you are deep down inside. Film critic Kartina Richardson says that in trying to be universal “we erase ourselves from the inside.” Nothing true and good and lasting can come from that.

White Americans are racist enough to think they are the centre of the universe, the measure of all that is good. They are not. Not hardly. If whites like what you do, great, but if they do not, screw them. As it is, the things they like from other cultures, like anime, hip hop, pizza and jazz, were not created with them in mind.

Toni Morrison:

Faulkner wrote what I suppose could be called regional literature and had it published all over the world. That’s what I wish to do. If I tried to write a universal novel, it would be water. Behind this question is the suggestion that to write for black people is somehow to diminish the writing. From my perspective there are only black people. When I say “people”, that’s what I mean.

Edited by Alias_Avi - Jun 01 2013 at 2:21pm
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:21am
Faulkner wrote what I suppose could be called regional literature and had it published all over the world. That’s what I wish to do. If I tried to write a universal novel, it would be water. Behind this question is the suggestion that to write for black people is somehow to diminish the writing. From my perspective there are only black people. When I say “people”, that’s what I mean.

LIKE A BAUCE!

I HATE when white people try to write black...like in The Help..it's always so patronizing and flat
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Langston Hughes pointed out during the Harlem Renaissance that wanting to be a “writer” instead of a “black writer” means wanting to be a “white writer”, wanting to be white. Trying to “transcend race” or “just be American” (or British or French, etc) means, in practice, trying to be white. Trying to be “non-ethnic” simply means exchanging one’s own ethnicity for another.

Clap
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:21am
white people never try to transcend race. why? bc their race is what everyone deems "the best"
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:22am
and yes i agree. it's the same as "not seeing color"
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

From my perspective there are only black people. When I say “people”, that’s what I mean.

i missed that... LOL 
that is me x10,000, 000
KinksnWinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KinksnWinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

LIKE A BAUCE!

I HATE when white people try to write black...like in The Help..it's always so patronizing and flat

I love that last line
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 1:15pm
I agree. No such thing as a universal culture. However, I do aspire to be as knowledgeable as possible about other people's culture and travel the world, even incorporate some of what I've learned and liked but I can never forget my own or put it in the background. And for an artist to want to remove all specificity diminishes their craft, in my opinion.
Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 1:19pm
What doe she mean there are only black ppl? 
Like with whatever she does it for and from a Black perspective?
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Anah Anah wrote:

What doe she mean there are only black ppl? 
Like with whatever she does it for and from a Black perspective?

that's how i understood it
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair