Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being Black in UK vs being Black in US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 12:36am
I disagree with

1. Ashamed to be black

2. Having to hide your academic achievements

What else did she write, brb

Downplaying privilege

Not taking opportunities

Ironic that she doesn't mention bout blackcism and almost writes like a white male

Edited by afrokock - Jun 04 2013 at 12:39am
Sponsored Links

oneluv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oneluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 12:43am
A few sad things I've noticed is that black men seem to go out of their way not to date black women. If you thought it was bad in america, its on a whole different level there. Black people are not a huge part of the media there. They can have white movies and shows with no black people, yet you never see an all black movie or all black show. It's like black people want to belong so bad but really don't.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:14am
**drinks coffee* **adds some more milk**
Xamaycana View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xamaycana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:19am
Having lived as a black person is both the US and UK, I find it odd that she talks about American blacks as if we are all AA and exclude the experience of the immigrant black population in America.  

I do agree that there is more advancement for the black community in the US than in the UK.  I was actually shocked at the state of the Caribbean community when I studied in London.  The WIs in the US on a whole seem to do a lot better than the ones in the UK.    I wonder if the strive for achievement has more to do with the culture of the societies than race.  American culture expects you to  push yourself forward and be number one, while British culture is more about politely waiting your turn.

As for the down playing privilege, I think a lot of that is just current British culture.  My husband has a relative who is from a solid middle-class( UK definition) background. The are from a multi-generational Ox-Cam family yet when he speaks one would think he is from a council family. 

Edited by Xamaycana - Jun 04 2013 at 1:24am
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:25am
Blacks in britain are separated.

on ethnicity forms black african is different from black caribbean... i remember filling out an application for an american lab company which is in england too ,it was an american app form....for once in my life i didn't know what i was, the only black option was african america...had to tick other for once. 

That's one major thing i've noticed...it seems in the states all blacks are classed as one..i could be wrong but the app made it seem that way. 

Edited by Lilaca - Jun 04 2013 at 1:26am
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:28am
And p.s i've not had to hide my academic achievements...if anything i've encouraged black folk into science. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:37am
I just noticed that in America, whenever they are taking census, they make sure to separate "Non-Hispanic White" from Hispanics but not Non-Hispanic Blacks from Hispanics Stern Smile

Edited by Alias_Avi - Jun 04 2013 at 1:37am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:41am
It all boils down to

1. The acknowledgement of racism by why whites

2. Most immigrants lack of awareness of their rights and the often docile nature of blacks.

3. The nature/class of the initial immigrants

She also fails to recognise or rather acknowledge the race riots if the early 80's

The uk is also a classist dociety where people are bound by class unlike the us where race is a much bigger issue.

You can be a rich nigguh in the us or a poor one, you still a nigguh in a America

Edited by afrokock - Jun 04 2013 at 1:56am
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I just noticed that in America, whenever they are taking census, they make sure to separate "Non-Hispanic White" from Hispanics but not Non-Hispanic Blacks from Hispanics Stern Smile
i'm confused.com....LOL
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 3:18am
Ashamed to be black? I'm noticing the opposite especially from people of my age.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>