BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being a good parent...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:28pm
Whippings don't work, there are a primitive man easy way out of parenting to put fear in a child instead of talking to them.
Sponsored Links

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Whippings don't work, there are a primitive man easy way out of parenting to put fear in a child instead of talking to them.
You can't speak for everyone. So please don't.

As far as the rest of the generalization, you can hurt a child without laying a hand on them by talking to them.

So… *shrug*
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:53pm
My mother beat us as kids.
She has since apologized and explained that in that society, that's just the most common form of discipline.
It came from a good place, it just wasn't the best way.
Technically it was physical abuse. As she beat me, she would say, i am beating you not because of what you did, but because you lied to me about it.

I couldn't respond back ( i wouldn't dare) but what I was thinking was, i was afraid to admit it because of
A: the shame i feel for doing this disappointing thing
B: afraid that you might beat me for it! Lol

I think I did admit to doing something once, and didn't get beat but got very strong words. I don't remember exactly right now.

Anyhow, my mother wasn't an 'abuser' though technically it was abuse. my mother was not a monster or an addict or someone who did not nurture her children. Quite the opposite. But in the Caribbean, beatings is the norm.

She recognizes now that it wasn't the only or best way and I can't have her feeling guilty for the rest of her life. I'm no longer getting beat, i see what a great parent she's been otherwise, and it was the catalyst for breaking that particular generational cycle.

Edited by Derri - Feb 06 2014 at 12:55pm
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:53pm
i was a friggin little rebel 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

You can't speak for everyone. So please don't.

As far as the rest of the generalization, you can hurt a child without laying a hand on them by talking to them.

So… *shrug*

Belitting a child is also primitive because primitive beings cannot control their emotions and words.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:00pm
In this context, what do you mean by primitive?
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:01pm

Belitting a child is also primitive because primitive beings cannot control their emotions and words.
smh.  just stop. 

*walks away*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:11pm

prim·i·tive

/ˈprɪmɪtɪv/ Show Spelled [prim-i-tiv] Show IPA
adjective
being the first or earliest of the kind or in existence, especially in an early age of the world: primitive forms of life.
early in the history of the world or of humankind.
characteristic of early ages or of an early state of human development: primitive toolmaking.
Anthropology . of or pertaining to a preliterate or tribal people having cultural or physical similarities with their early ancestors: no longer in technical use.
unaffected or little affected by civilizing influences; uncivilized; savage: primitive passions.
being in its earliest period; early: the primitive phase of the history of a town.
old-fashioned: primitive ideas and habits.
simple; unsophisticated: a primitive farm implement.
crude; unrefined: primitive living conditions.
Linguistics .
a.
of or pertaining to a form from which a word or other linguistic form is derived; not derivative; original or radical.
b.
of or pertaining to a protolanguage.
c.
of or pertaining to a linguistic prime.
primary, as distinguished from secondary.
Biology .
a.
rudimentary; primordial.
b.
noting species, varieties, etc., only slightly evolved from early antecedent types.
c.
of early formation and temporary, as a part that subsequently disappears.
< =text/> #threeRow{display:block; } #leftrqn{float:left;width: 35%;} #midqn {float:left;width: 35%;} #rightrqn{float:left;width: 20%;}
noun
someone or something primitive.
Fine Arts.
a.
an artist of a preliterate culture.
b.
a naive or unschooled artist.
c.
an artist belonging to the early stage in the development of a style.
d.
a work of art by a primitive artist.
Mathematics .
a.
a geometric or algebraic form or expression from which another is derived.
b.
a function of which the derivative is a given function.
Linguistics . the form from which a given word or other linguistic form has been derived, by either morphological or historical processes, as take  in undertake.

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English  (noun and adj.) (< Middle French primitif ) < Latin prīmitīvus  first of its kind. See prime, -itive

Related forms
prim·i·tive·ly, adverb
prim·i·tive·ness, prim·i·tiv·i·ty, noun
non·prim·i·tive, adjective, noun
non·prim·i·tive·ly, adverb
non·prim·i·tive·ness, noun
pre·prim·i·tive, adjective
pseu·do·prim·i·tive, adjective
sem·i·prim·i·tive, adjective
un·prim·i·tive, adjective
un·prim·i·tive·ly, adverb
un·prim·i·tive·ness, noun

Synonyms
1, 2. prehistoric, primal, primary, primordial, original, aboriginal, antediluvian, pristine. See prime.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.
Cite This Source
|
Link To primitive
');
Collins
World English Dictionary
primitive  (ˈprɪmɪtɪv)
adj
1. of or belonging to the first or beginning; original
2. characteristic of an early state, esp in being crude or uncivilized: a primitive dwelling
3. anthropol  denoting or relating to a preliterate and nonindustrial social system
4. biology
a. of, relating to, or resembling an early stage in the evolutionary development of a particular group of organisms: primitive amphibians
b. another word for primordial
5. showing the characteristics of primitive painters; untrained, childlike, or naive
6. geology  pertaining to magmas that have experienced only small degrees of fractional crystallization or crystal contamination
7. obsolete  of, relating to, or denoting rocks formed in or before the Palaeozoic era
8. obsolete  denoting a word from which another word is derived, as for example hope,  from which hopeless  is derived
9. Protestant theol  of, relating to, or associated with a minority group that breaks away from a sect, denomination, or Church in order to return to what is regarded as the original simplicity of the Gospels
n
10. a primitive person or thing
11. a. an artist whose work does not conform to traditional, academic, or avant-garde standards of Western painting, such as a painter from an African or Oceanic civilization
b. a painter of the pre-Renaissance era in European painting
c. Also called (for senses 11a, 11c): naive  a painter of any era whose work appears childlike or untrained
12. a work by such an artist
13. a word or concept from which another word or concept is derived
14. maths  a curve, function, or other form from which another is derived
[C14: from Latin prīmitīvus  earliest of its kind, primitive, from prīmus  first]
'primitively
adv
'primitiveness
n

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Etymonline
Word Origin & History

primitive
c.1400, "of a thing from which something is derived, not secondary" (a sense now associated with primary), from O.Fr. primitif (fem. primitive), from L. primitivus "first or earliest of its kind," from primitus "at first," from primus "first" (see prime (adj.)). Meaning "of or belonging to the first
age" is from c.1526. In Christian sense of "adhering to the qualities of the early Church" it is recorded from 1685. Of untrained artists from 1942.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
American Heritage
Medical Dictionary

primitive  prim·i·tive (prĭm'ĭ-tĭv)
adj.

1. Primary; basic.

2. Of or being an earliest or original stage.

3. Being little evolved from an early ancestral type.

prim'i·tive·ness  or prim'i·tiv'i·ty n.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Cite This Source
American Heritage
Science Dictionary
primitive (prĭm'ĭ-tĭv)   Pronunciation Key
  1. Relating to an early or original stage.

2. Having evolved very little from an early type. Lampreys and sturgeon are primitive fishes.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002. Published by Houghton Mifflin. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source
FOLDOC
Computing Dictionary

primitive definition

programming
A function, operator, or type which is built into a programming language (or operating system), either for speed of execution or because it would be impossible to write it in the language. Primitives typically include the arithmetic and logical operations (plus, minus, and, or, etc.) and are implemented by a small number of machine language instructions.
(1995-05-01)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © Denis Howe 2010 http://foldoc.org
Cite This Source