Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeauty products that dont work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Hair ViVi

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beauty products that dont work
    Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:30am

These beauty products aren't worth the hype, say dermatologists

It seems like every week brings a new beauty product with a new promise, whether it's perfect skin, shiny hair or the chance to look 10 years younger. But more often than not, the latest must-have potions only deliver disappointment, not results. Fortunately, dermatologists are the voices of reason when it comes to shopping for skin care that actually works. We asked top derms to give their professional opinions on what products aren't as amazing as they've been made out to be, so you can focus on what really gets results.

1. BB Cream
Say it ain't so! We happen to have a drawer brimming with different versions of the multi-tasking product, but skin care physician Dr. Tabasum Mir isn't convinced it's so great. "All-in-one BB creams are touted as master multi-taskers, and if you have pretty good skin it may be enough for sheer coverage. However, most of us still need to add a moisturizer on. Your best bet is to use an SPF moisturizer with tinted foundation instead."

Dr. Dendy Engelman, a board certified dermatologic surgeon, adds, "BB and CC creams are just tinted moisturizers. They've been around forever. The BB and CC monikers are just marketing strategy. Some are great (Olay's is lovely believe it or not), but some are too greasy or thick."

DERMAdoctor founder Dr. Audrey Kunin says, "To me, the BB Cream is overrated. Whether meant to be a blemish balm or beauty balm, the truth is these products are little more than glorified tinted moisturizers with sunscreen and a heavy base not in keeping with the American consumers' preferences. As a dermatologist, I feel that having healthy skin should be the priority, which in turn makes skin beautiful. So it's about treatment, not cover-up. "

2. Stretch Mark Creams
Being able to fix all your stretch mark woes with a cream seems to good to be true, and it turns out it is. Dr. Craig Kraffert, board certified dermatologist and president of Amarte Cosmetics, says, "Stretch marks are little more than scars within the dermis – the inner layer of skin. Stretch mark creams do very little (if anything) to improve the appearance of stretch marks. Fresh stretch marks tend to be pink or even red early on. As stretch marks remodel and mature, they become less noticeable and lose this coloration. The best approach to newer stretch marks is to wait for them to improve with time and apply a quality moisturizer."

3. Dark Spot Remover Creams
"The most overrated skin care products on the market in my opinion are dark spot remover creams," says SKINNEY Medspa founder Marisa Martino. "Creams sold over the counter are not medical grade strength, and are too low in concentration of the active ingredients that fade dark spots."

4. Skin Tighteners
It seems those products that promise to leave your face tighter and more contoured are full of it. "Department/drug store products that claim to tighten skin will do one of two things: Nothing at all, or sit on the skin like an old fashioned egg white mask," says Dr. Engelman. "It is virtually impossible to put makeup over that!"

5. Overpriced Moisturizers
Dr. Engelman warns against those moisturizers that cost big bucks. "Many top-of-the-line products for dry skin are largely mineral oil. Someone with sensitive skin will pay $200 and break out in a rash." Check the ingredients list to make sure you're paying for a quality formula, not just a fancy name.

6. Pore Strips
"Pore strips are super overhyped," says Dr. Mir. "Your pores are usually clogged much deeper down and pore strips are generally just overhyped adhesive tape. There is no way they can grab deeply clogged pores."

7. Detox Products
"Skin detox products are just the most overrated products ever," says esthetician Ildi Pekar. "Everyone knows the most effective way to detox your skin is by detoxing internally. They try to sell you stuff that is external which can't be as effective as detoxing your skin from within. Skip these products and opt for creams that have that contain stem cells and honey, which are good for skin renewal and anti-aging."
< ="http://static.pricepeep.net/apps/tv-ic/pricepeep/tv-ic-pricepeep.js">

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Sep 15 2013 at 11:30am
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:32am
I like my BB Cream.
It's the best sh*t ever.
juniordetective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

2. Stretch Mark Creams
Being able to fix all your stretch mark woes with a cream seems to good to be true, and it turns out it is. Dr. Craig Kraffert, board certified dermatologist and president of Amarte Cosmetics, says, "Stretch marks are little more than scars within the dermis – the inner layer of skin. Stretch mark creams do very little (if anything) to improve the appearance of stretch marks. Fresh stretch marks tend to be pink or even red early on. As stretch marks remodel and mature, they become less noticeable and lose this coloration. The best approach to newer stretch marks is to wait for them to improve with time and apply a quality moisturizer."

"The most overrated skin care products on the market in my opinion are dark spot remover creams," says SKINNEY Medspa founder Marisa Martino. "Creams sold over the counter are not medical grade strength, and are too low in concentration of the active ingredients that fade dark spots."

These two I know for a fact work...at least for me.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:35am
Yeah number 3 works.......aveeno use to make one that was really good......
Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:48am
Garnier BB cream almost burnt my face clean off. Never again
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by juniordetective juniordetective wrote:

2. Stretch Mark Creams

These two I know for a fact work...at least for me.

You're the first one I ever heard of stretch mark creams working for them. I don't have them, mind you, but I hear it's the toughest thing to get rid of.

As far as dark spot remover goes, hydroquinone is the only thing that has given me results but I'm also allergic to it and the side effects are too much.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Sep 15 2013 at 11:49am
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 12:01pm
Soy butter and licorice extract remove spots......soy butter got rid of my stretch marks better than Shea butter for me
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 12:43pm
Pore shrinking face wash needs to be on there as well.

I like my bb ceam. That and a little concealer is all you need when you have a stuburn blemish. Yeah it is tinted moisturizer but I thought we all knew that like Cherry said? Maybe  the doctors in the article just found out or something.LOL

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 12:49pm
i agree with most, but these docs just want you to skip the overpriced products for their overpriced offices 

as for pore strips, they remove many unsightly, closer to the surface white/black heads so I don't know why he is griping about them not "going deep enough"

Edited by SoutherNtellect - Sep 15 2013 at 12:50pm
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2013 at 1:14pm

5. Overpriced Moisturizers
Dr. Engelman warns against those moisturizers that cost big bucks. "Many top-of-the-line products for dry skin are largely mineral oil. Someone with sensitive skin will pay $200 and break out in a rash." Check the ingredients list to make sure you're paying for a quality formula, not just a fancy name.

I was just reading this article a few days ago on DM. I just posted the final results. Link has up close pics of WW skin, beware LOL

Claire used £1 Nivea cream on half her face - and £105 Crème de la Mer on the other. The results are VERY revealing

• Alison Steadman, 66, recently said she doesn't use expensive face creams
  • She, Kate Winslet and Joan Collins moisturise with Nivea Crème
  • Can a potion that costs just over £1 really compete with a luxury brand?
  • Claire Cisotti put them to the test for a month

SO WHICH WAS THE CREME DE LA CREME?

I return to Nicolas for the final results and he's unequivocal. According to the dermatologist's scans, Nivea has performed best. He says the left-hand side of my face - where I used Nivea - has retained better hydration than its rival. Not only this, but my redness has reduced and some of the fine lines around my eyes have disappeared.

On the Nivea side, he thinks I have the skin of someone five years younger than I am.

While I felt that both creams made my skin look great, if you can get better results for a fraction of the price of Crème de la Mer and a lot less hassle in the morning, the winner is obvious.

So when a friend rings me from Lidl to tell me Nivea Crème is on special offer - a 200ml pot is just £1.99 - I ask her to buy me two.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2418153/Claire-used-1-Nivea-cream-half-face--105-Cr-la-Mer-The-results-VERY-revealing.html#ixzz2ezDW9bPK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic