Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Beautician said I had to cut my hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
toshinaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toshinaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beautician said I had to cut my hair
    Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 9:28pm
I recently went to get my sew in redo, after about a month it started to get really loose, one person said it was from my hair growing so rapidly, but Idk. But when I went to my beautician for my 3rd install since February, she said that I need to cut all of my relaxer out because it was causing my hair to tangle and matte up when she was trying to comb it. I was a little confused and asked what about my relaxed hair was causing it to matte? But really didn't get a clear answer. I do not want to cut my hair but want to retain length while I'm getting these sew ins, because that was the whole reason for getting them was to give my real hair a break because I can't find a good stylist to really take care of my hair.
So do I need to BC my hair to retain the length or do I need to take my sew in out before I go and do the necessary conditioning and detangling myself the proper way? Please help!!
Sponsored Links

Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 10:19pm
If you are getting sew ins back to back I would cut my relaxed ends off like my stylist suggested. The relaxed ends are very fragile and the natural part is stronger. So when she is trying to detangle your hair the relaxed part is getting matted up because it is twisting like the curly part. As she do each detangle/redo session I'm sure a lot of hair is getting lost because of the matted relaxed hair.

I was transitioning and did not want to cut my bsl relaxed hair but every detangling session my hair was getting thinner and thinner because it was too difficult for me to detangle.it also wasn't worth it to me either.
With a sew in, you have braids in for an extended period of time so all the regular shed hair that comes out with regular daily combing/brushing is still there packed in the braids. So you have the shed hair + relaxed hair= thin broken hair in the long run. If you want to keep your relaxed hair I would suggest a wig so you could get to your braids weekly to take out the shed hair.
Hope this was understandable.
butta fly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butta fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 10:40pm
I haven't cut my relaxed ends off. I take my sew in out myself. After taking your sew in out, NEVER wet your hair without combing all of the dead hair out. It will be a lot of shed hair but if you wash it without combing first it will matte up.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:40am
I can tell you from experience that is most likely a bunch of BS she is feeding you and that the most likely culprit is your beautician and the way she is detangling your hair.  I had a beautician try to feed me that, but that's only after she raked through my hair with a fine tooth comb and THEN went over it with a hair dryer with a brush attachment...ugh.

I have 4a hair and I only relax my hair every 6 months.  I do not suffer from any sort of matting, as I tend to leave my sew-ins in for 3-4 months.  I am very careful with the new growth and always make sure it is well oiled and saturated with leave-in conditioner so the braids will be easier to take out when I need to take my weave out. 

When you undo your braids, make sure you are using the end of a rat tail comb to pick out the braids.  Saturate them in a natural oil and then comb out your hair in small sections from root to tip.  Make sure you are holding on to the hair where the natural hair meets the relaxed hair, so you aren't braking it in the process.  You might need to use a Tangle Teezer brush to gently brush out any remaining tangles or snags and then braid your hair into bid, loose braids before washing and conditioning your hair.
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 4:32am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I can tell you from experience that is most likely a bunch of BS she is feeding you and that the most likely culprit is your beautician and the way she is detangling your hair.  I had a beautician try to feed me that, but that's only after she raked through my hair with a fine tooth comb and THEN went over it with a hair dryer with a brush attachment...ugh.

I have 4a hair and I only relax my hair every 6 months.  I do not suffer from any sort of matting, as I tend to leave my sew-ins in for 3-4 months.  I am very careful with the new growth and always make sure it is well oiled and saturated with leave-in conditioner so the braids will be easier to take out when I need to take my weave out. 

When you undo your braids, make sure you are using the end of a rat tail comb to pick out the braids.  Saturate them in a natural oil and then comb out your hair in small sections from root to tip.  Make sure you are holding on to the hair where the natural hair meets the relaxed hair, so you aren't braking it in the process.  You might need to use a Tangle Teezer brush to gently brush out any remaining tangles or snags and then braid your hair into bid, loose braids before washing and conditioning your hair.

I agree. I am natural now and I used to get sew ins all the time when I was relaxed and transitioning, but I never had this problem. I feel like if you BC'd it be much harder for her to take out your hair, if she's having trouble w/ the relaxed ends!! I always kept mine in from 2-3 months and I'd have my mom remove it, and then I'd undo my braids and comb them out w/ a wooden pick or pen lol. I never added oil. I just went straight to combing out my hair. One time I was so ready/excited to get my next sew in that I forgot to comb out my hair before washing it, that it matted, I lost so much hair, it was insane. If you wash the hair first w/ all that new growth, but mainly the shed hair is the culprit, it is going to tangle and matte! 

Edited by lalaLeslie - Jun 10 2013 at 4:33am
toshinaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toshinaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 6:15am
Thank you ladies, I'm still on the fence but this information was much needed. I love my sewin with the Sassy Mitchell hair but eventually I do want to be able to wear my hair again. Thanks again.
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 7:25am
Are you transitioning or just stretching out your relaxer? If stretching, there is no need to cut your relaxed hair and if transitioning, it's all up to you. When I did have a relaxer, I did experience some tangling but only during washing my relaxed hair not while in a sew in. It is hard to deal with two different textures and breakage usually happens at the point of demarcation. Your stylist needs to learn how to carefully deal with your hair.
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:09am
From what you and everyone else is saying, I'd say take down your weaves yourself you're stylist probably tired of de tangling your hair and she doesn't know how to do it.

Like butta fly said never wash your hair right after taking braids down, put some oil and conditioner and detangle in small sections with your hands first then wide tooth comb.

wash your hair

Wash and blow dry your hair your self of stretch it in an un heat damaging way and then let her do the weave.

Remember BE CAREFUL care for your hair, no one will care for something like you will because it's your own
toshinaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toshinaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:39pm
I'm just stretching, I have not interest in transitioning too much maintenance for my schedule. That's was my question to her, "why should I cut it off" and she really didn't have an answer besides "its gonna break off" so I was just asking her what should I do under my weave or what should I bring you to help with this, maybe a wide tooth comb because that rattail was killing my head.
toshinaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toshinaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:41pm
I agree with you and I will be taking them out myself. I just assumed that if alot of her customers are getting sew ins that she would be more experienced but now that I'm thinking about it some have complained about their hair not retaining length and she is always double booked.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic