Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Baking Soda Vs. Baking Powder

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baking Soda Vs. Baking Powder
    Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:52am
in case you ever wondered

Baking Soda Vs. Baking Powder

When it comes to choosing from between baking soda and baking powder, people have different preferences while making cakes, cookies or muffins. Let's see what to use and when.
The middle of the 19th century saw yeast being replaced by chemical agents for making breads and cakes fluffy. The carbon dioxide emitted by the growth and respiration of yeast would make the bread fluffy. The chemical that replaced yeast and had similar property of emitting CO2 was sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), commonly known as baking soda. Then, what is baking powder? Baking powder is a mixture, whose main constituent is nothing but baking soda again. Then, why are we doing such experiments since senior high? Do we need to make this comparison? Yes, we do. Now we will see and learn why!

Differentiating between Baking Soda and Baking Powder

Although, baking soda is the main component of baking powder, there's a vast difference between the two. Before understanding the difference, we need to know how baking soda works. NaHCO3 is nothing but an alkali (base), opposite of an acid. When this alkali reacts with any acidic solution it emits CO2 which is responsible for a baked recipe's fluffy character.

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH → NaCH3COO + H2CO3 → H2O + CO2
Acetic Acid
(vinegar) Sodium Acetate

When we add baking soda to any dough, it reacts with the acidic components in it, like yogurt, sour cream, lemonade or buttermilk which we deliberately add while baking. This reaction discharges CO2 bubbles which makes the dough to rise.

Coming to baking powder, as we said, it is a mixture. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and some dehydrated acid (mostly cream of tartar); i.e. the acid with which the soda is supposed to react while baking, is already added to the main agent. While baking when we add baking powder to water or milk, this liquid medium facilitates the alkali-acid reaction which is not possible when they are in dry powder form. This reaction produces the famous CO2! To maintain the dryness, baking powder always has an added drying agent (mostly starch).

So, Which is Better?

The answer simply depends on what the use is. It is necessary to use baking soda for some recipes, while others may call for the addition of baking powder. This essentially depends on which other ingredients are used in the recipe. Pure baking soda is alkaline and if added in excess, without proper acid neutralization, will give a bitter taste. It is always advisable to use baking soda instead of in cookies. That's because in cookie recipes, we add enough acidic ingredients, such as buttermilk or lemonade, to neutralize the alkalinity of the soda.

On the other hand, baking powder is a mix of both a base and an acid. Taste wise, it has a neutral effect. In most recipes that use baking powder, there are often other neutral-tasting ingredients, like milk. Baking powder is the commonly used ingredient in cakes.

Apart from cooking, the baking soda vs. baking powder war is waged on another battleground. Both of these powders are commonly used for cleaning and deodorizing purpose. While differentiating both, cleaning is one aspect we can't overlook. Both of these are widely used for cleaning purposes. For general purpose cleaning, baking soda is recommended. This is because, more often than not, while cleaning, we use a wet swab or cloth. As, we've seen, this would facilitate an acid-base reaction, if we are to use baking powder for wet cleaning purpose. But, for cleaning stubborn patches like burnt food stains, baking powder can prove highly effective.

Baking soda works as a good deodorant. Both baking soda and baking powder can be used for this purpose. If placed in refrigerators or store rooms, they can quickly get rid of any foul smell. Again, one should ensure complete dryness while using baking powder, as moisture will make it ineffective and may enhance the odor instead. Uses of baking soda includes brushing teeth with baking soda.

So, with various aspects studied for the comparison, you can very well conclude that both are very useful, and surely our kitchens cannot do without either of them.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/baking-soda-vs-baking-powder.html

Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:57am
I have learned! =D

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--jpIMz_5h--/c_fit,w_636/1941etfhk2ry0jpg.jpg

Edited by Midna - Apr 19 2014 at 5:58am
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 8:26am
Thank you Tatee!!!
I love your threads because I like to know stuff about stuff.
Hehe.

I think i'll try cleaning with some baking powder and see how it performs.
I am off to research how baking soda could alkalize the body. If you find anything on that topic, do post.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:41am
good thread!!

I have wondered the difference many times

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 4:23pm
Tatee, this thread spooks me. Lol
I just read something about this other day because I wanted to make eggless brownies and BP can be sub for egg-- not alone. The writer went into detail about diff between bs and bp. I already knew difference tho.

But yeah, the cloaking shields are going up now lol. Stop tracking me online lol
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Tatee, this thread spooks me. Lol
I just read something about this other day because I wanted to make eggless brownies and BP can be sub for egg-- not alone. The writer went into detail about diff between bs and bp. I already knew difference tho.

But yeah, the cloaking shields are going up now lol. Stop tracking me online lol

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:09pm
are you saying me cloaking won't work against your powers? lol

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 19 2014 at 5:09pm
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 5:58pm
I made pancakes from scratch one morning and the recipe called for either baking soda or baking powder, I cant remember which. Either way, I didn't have the one I needed and I had to mix the other with vinegar to give it the acidity of the one I needed. The pancakes came out perfectly...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 8:20pm
^^yes GG, I love baking for that reason.. it's like a science experiment lol.

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 19 2014 at 8:21pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style