Perfect Hair Collection

Topic ClosedBaking Soda & Peroxide Hair Lightening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
UrbanElegance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baking Soda & Peroxide Hair Lightening
    Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 5:31pm
I did a strand test to find out if using a mixture of baking soda and peroxide would lighten my hair without damaging it.

I am so happy that it worked for me!!! :) The color lift was subtle which was perfect for me and the patch of hair is still soft (not at all damaged)like the rest of my hair.

I want to highlight more of my hair with this method once the spring gets here.

My question is...once I lift the color, would it be safe for me to then follow up with a semi permanent (beautiful collection) to make the highlights a nice reddish brown and cover my gray strands??
Sponsored Links

mstoya25 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 5:39pm
Henna would do the same....
memenhuneeb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2008 at 11:21pm

I thought about doing this. my question is how do you stop the process once you get it how you like it?

mcelweewife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 2:18am
Originally posted by memenhuneeb memenhuneeb wrote:

I thought about doing this. my question is how do you stop the process once you get it how you like it?

Once you get it how you like it, you rinse it out! The longer you leave it in, the lighter your hair will get.

I agree with Ms Toya on the henna! I have been henna-ing over my baking soda peroxide highlights and I LOVES it!!! Henna is all natural and great for the hair in general. It turned my gray hairs a pretty red color. I will be suing it to cover my grays from now on! You should definitely look into that!Embarrassed Even if you do decide to do a rinse over it, it would turn out fine! Strands did that with her sis in law and it turned out great. It was posted in her fokti, but she deleted the albumOuch

Edited by mcelweewife - Jan 09 2008 at 2:19am
UrbanElegance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 9:15am
Mcelweewife: How long did you leave the mixture on your hair?

Can anyone find the post from a while back that shows how to to the baking soda and peroxide highlights? I tried using the search button but had no luck.
mstoya25 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:00am

The hi-lites take from 60-90 minutes to lighten..

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by UrbanElegance UrbanElegance wrote:

Mcelweewife: How long did you leave the mixture on your hair?

Can anyone find the post from a while back that shows how to to the baking soda and peroxide highlights? I tried using the search button but had no luck.

I am not sure if it was talked about here, because it all started in my fotki.
What I did was
>mix a 1/2 cup of baking soda in a plastic bowl, with a 1/2 cup of peroxide (the kind in the brown bottle that is sold in pharmacies)

>I then parted my hair in two small ponytail, like this....http://public.fotki.com/mcelwee-wife/baking-soda-and-per/oopisappliednowimwaiting.html
and dipped each one in the bowl to saturate my hair in the mixture. I gently rung out the excess and twisted my hair into a lose knot. ..like this...http://public.fotki.com/mcelwee-wife/baking-soda-and-per/highlightsgradually.html

>Then I left it that way for ten minutes and re-dipped it.

>I repeated that process once more and in about 25-30 minutes, I was left with a pretty auburn color. I just recently did a small ponytail on top of my head and dipped that, to get more color throughout my hair.

>I always applied suave conditioner on top of the mixture once I get it light enough, then I rinse that out. (That's basically co-washing it out)

> After That I apply this and leave it in for 5-10 minutes...http://public.fotki.com/mcelwee-wife/products-i-use/myinstantconditioner.html
I use that whenever I wash my hair, normally I use it to soften my hair up after I rinse out Cathy's conditioner. That stuff REALLY makes highlights with reddish undertones, POP! I love it!

>Now if you don't want your hair a reddish color, leave the baking soda/peroxide mixture in for only 15 minutes...then the color will be a subtle brown that's only visible in the sun.

>If you want a honey blondish color, leave it on for a hour or so and keep re-dipping it every ten minutes. (You may have to use a cup of baking soda and a cup of peroxide if that's the color you are going for. Over time the color will lighten anyway, because of environmental elements and sun exposure.

Forgot to mention, if you want more of a streaked look, you can just apply the mixture to the desired places with a q-tip!

The mixture will make a paste that shouldn't be too runny or too thick! You may have to adjust the amount of baking soda or peroxide to get the consistency you need. It should be kinda like baby food, not too runny and not too thick

Edited by mcelweewife - Jan 09 2008 at 10:20am
memenhuneeb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 2:11pm
thank you sooo much!!! i will be doing this soon!!!!Smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 1:09am
you're welcome!!Tongue
earthangel1886 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 2:50pm
Hey everyone, so happy you are discussing this topic. I am newly relaxed and I have been thinking about trying this ever since I first saw mcelwee's results (Gurl yo hair is hot!!). I heard some ppl got bad breakage after trying this. Did that happen to anyone else? How do you avoid this and how do you take care of your hair after the highlights, any changes in your routine?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic