Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Bad Relaxer Story/RANT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Relaxer Story/RANT!
    Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 12:15pm
Sigh! I'm soo mad at my self right now! Earlier this week I allowed my step mother to relax my hair, HUGE mistake! I have such a difficult head to deal with. I'm tender headed, with some real 4z hair none of that kinky curly stuff my hair is tightly coiled and veryyy thick, and I have dry scalp. But its my hair & I love her! Lol

Sooo my step mother at first offered to do my hair then changed her mind saying "Ive never permed any one with hair so thick before" I really didn't mind because I know my hair is thick. I went to get sew in by this African lady & she even said she hasn't had to braid hair so thick before. Lol so I decided just to relax my own hair (what I have been doing since the 6th grade) as I was getting my hair ready to be relaxed she said "girl come down here & let me do your perm, I know you can't see the back of your head with all that hair" I should have just said no thank you and kept it moving, but I allowed her to do my hair. Smh

First of all she took sooo long to apply the relaxer is took her 22mins just to get 1/4 of my head (the tub said a max of 18mins for application)
Then she was being soo rough with my head & kept saying "damn you got some thick ass hair" -_-
She started from the nape on the left side of my head and worked her way up to my edges. By at time my scalp was starting to burn. Then she had the bright idea of washing the perm out mind you the other side of my head still hasn't even been touched yet.
Now I have this huge chemical burn that literatly takes up half of my head
And I even had breakage
Its just a mess I have like 5 different textures going on right now.

I'm just soo mad at my self for allowing this to happen this isn't the first time someone who does not understand my thick hair ive allowed to put their uneducated hands in my hair but it will be the last time!!
I finally stretch my relaxer out to 6 months and now I feel like this is a bad set back for me in my healthy hair journey.

Sponsored Links

shortnsweet08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortnsweet08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 2:37pm
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH. I just wrote a very long post and bhm gives me this ^A*&&%&*^%*& about security and posting priveleges or some $#%%#^$.
I'm really really sorry to read this. It just sounds awful, not only do you have chemical burns, but you have breakage and all kinds of diff textures.
Im not sure what to suggest, I never had an experience this drastic when I was relaxed, and I'm natural now. But I would say focus on protein. It sounds like your hair may be over processed, so the protein in your hair may be very, very weak, and you'll need to build it back up. But dont forget the moisture either. I'd say do a strong protein treatment, maybe aphogee 2 step, and follow up with a gooood DC. I wouldnt suggest doing a lot of special treaments though, you need to manipulate your hair as little as possible. What I might do is get a good trim, maybe cut, and then wear my hair in a low manip style for a few months, a wig maybe. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about damage from relaxers will come and help.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by laredbaby laredbaby wrote:

Sigh! I'm soo mad at my self right now! Earlier this week I allowed my step mother to relax my hair, HUGE mistake! I have such a difficult head to deal with. I'm tender headed, with some real 4z hair none of that kinky curly stuff my hair is tightly coiled and veryyy thick, and I have dry scalp. But its my hair & I love her! Lol

Sooo my step mother at first offered to do my hair then changed her mind saying "Ive never permed any one with hair so thick before" I really didn't mind because I know my hair is thick. I went to get sew in by this African lady & she even said she hasn't had to braid hair so thick before. Lol so I decided just to relax my own hair (what I have been doing since the 6th grade) as I was getting my hair ready to be relaxed she said "girl come down here & let me do your perm, I know you can't see the back of your head with all that hair" I should have just said no thank you and kept it moving, but I allowed her to do my hair. Smh

First of all she took sooo long to apply the relaxer is took her 22mins just to get 1/4 of my head (the tub said a max of 18mins for application)
Then she was being soo rough with my head & kept saying "damn you got some thick ass hair" -_-
She started from the nape on the left side of my head and worked her way up to my edges. By at time my scalp was starting to burn. Then she had the bright idea of washing the perm out mind you the other side of my head still hasn't even been touched yet.
Now I have this huge chemical burn that literatly takes up half of my head
And I even had breakage
Its just a mess I have like 5 different textures going on right now.

I'm just soo mad at my self for allowing this to happen this isn't the first time someone who does not understand my thick hair ive allowed to put their uneducated hands in my hair but it will be the last time!!
I finally stretch my relaxer out to 6 months and now I feel like this is a bad set back for me in my healthy hair journey.

May I ask, did your step mother bother to pre section the hair and detangle the hair before applying the relaxer?
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2012 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by shortnsweet08 shortnsweet08 wrote:

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH. I just wrote a very long post and bhm gives me this ^A*&&%&*^%*& about security and posting priveleges or some $#%%#^$.
I'm really really sorry to read this. It just sounds awful, not only do you have chemical burns, but you have breakage and all kinds of diff textures.
Im not sure what to suggest, I never had an experience this drastic when I was relaxed, and I'm natural now. But I would say focus on protein. It sounds like your hair may be over processed, so the protein in your hair may be very, very weak, and you'll need to build it back up. But dont forget the moisture either. I'd say do a strong protein treatment, maybe aphogee 2 step, and follow up with a gooood DC. I wouldnt suggest doing a lot of special treaments though, you need to manipulate your hair as little as possible. What I might do is get a good trim, maybe cut, and then wear my hair in a low manip style for a few months, a wig maybe. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about damage from relaxers will come and help.

This happens to me too sometimes. I'm always like WTFuuuuudddgggeee! 
nae2287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nae2287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 1:57pm
i had a bad relaxer in may that caused me to make the decision to go natural 

For some reason it wont let me upload pics here so go visit my blog to see my horrendous starting point for my natural journey.  I swear that relaxer eat the hair on the left side of my nape Cry

Check out my blog for the pics at www.thenappynurse.wordpress.com

laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:29pm
Update!

Sooo I decided just to go natural! Lol thanks to nea2287! I really liked your blog. & yes I notice when my relaxer is stretched out for a couple of month I don't have flacking but whooa after that relaxer my scalp was acting like a plum fool! Therefore I'm done with relaxers.
I can not deal with this happening again. My hair is APL not as thick as I wish it was though hopefully I can grow out this damaged hair & get my thickness back!
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 9:43am
Oh, wow. I know exactly what you went through. here's my pitiful epic hair drama story: ;_;

"my mom's friend had relaxed my hair before with no problems. but then she told us she couldn't do it anymore and ever since then my hair has gone through hell on relaxer days. I went to a salon that used affirm lye mixed with conditioner or something to relax my hair. it was under processed. I went to another salon to experiment with ORS lye and my scalp hated it. and when I told the stylist to rinse it out she did with hot water and kept purposely scratching my scalp. are you suppose to rinse out relaxers that way? I got scalp burns for the first time, and parts of my hair got under processed. again. I went back to my mom's friend and used ORS no lye and my hair finally turned out good. But when my head was in the sink she combed out CLUMPS of my hair. I blamed it on the under-processed parts.

on wash days I was experiencing some breakage due to the under processed parts, but not when it was dry. So I went to the second salon that under processed me to have them correct it. It was hard for them since it wasn't below my new growth (new growth, relaxed, underprocessed, relaxed) and it was hard for them to find the part to apply it, but they got most of it. at least I thought they did, but they actually only got some of it.

then my mom's girl friend relaxed my hair with ORS no lye pak. she was in a rush so she started without putting petroleum on my neck and hair line. she was half way done with the section in the back when I told her, but she still didn't stop to put it on. I thought nothing of it, in my mind I was thinking it's no-lye so it won't burn. why did I do that! when she was half way done my neck started burning, so then she started putting petroleum jelly. I told her maybe she should wipe off my neck with water again, but she didn't. (I have to learn to be more assertive in these situations.) my neck was burning the whole time, and the side of my forehead started burning too after the relaxer got rinsed out I looked in the mirror to see red spots where it burned. I showed her, and instead of putting aloe vera on it she put more petroleum in it. I washed that off and put aloe on it myself. now I have burn marks on my neck and the side of my forehead. I'm healing them with aloe vera gel, aloe vera leaves, and vitamin e oil. I never want to repeat this episode again. and then, after she shampooed my hair in the sink, I went under the shower to comb out my hair and CLUMPS were coming out again! I barely even touched it with my comb yet!"

I discovered hair's talent salon and the head stylist there, gina rivera, finally got all my back to one texture! she did it by using mizani colored treated relaxer and properly separating my hair to only apply it on the under processed parts. she also told me to wet my hair before coming and letting it dry without putting any product in it so the different textures show. genius! my hair lies down easily, so that's exactly what I suggested to the other salon that tried to correct my under processed hair, but they said you can't wash your hair before relaxing. I should have just ignored them. it's a correcter, not a touch up. but even after my hair texture was all one, rivera commented that I still have some breakage. it took me a while to learn I also had protein overload. >: [

for under processed hair everyone kept advising to use heavier protein treatments, well that was just making my hair situation worse! now I see I was getting breakage because of the under processed hair AND because I was beginning to get protein overload due to people's advice. I did not need a heavy protein treatment, what I needed was to up on my moisture to get more elasticity in my hair because of the extra curly texture. I wish I knew about elasticity tests back than. 

now my hair is finally back to normal! I'm never going to another salon again! I don't care if hairs talent is two hours away! I never want to go through any of this again! and in a week I'm going to do the salon's healthy alternate to relaxers, japanese straightening! a happy ending. 

laredbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laredbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:34am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

Oh, wow. I know exactly what you went through. here's my pitiful epic hair drama story: ;_;

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;">"m</span><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;">y mom's friend had relaxed my hair before with no problems. but then she told us she couldn't do it anymore and ever since then my hair has gone through hell on relaxer days. I went to a salon that used affirm lye mixed with conditioner or something to relax my hair. it was under processed. I went to another salon to experiment with ORS lye and my scalp hated it. and when I told the stylist to rinse it out she did with hot water and kept purposely scratching my scalp. are you suppose to rinse out relaxers that way? I got scalp burns for the first time, and parts of my hair got under processed. again. I went back to my mom's friend and used ORS no lye and my hair finally turned out good. But when my head was in the sink she combed out CLUMPS of my hair. I blamed it on the under-processed parts.</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;">

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">on wash days I was experiencing some breakage due to the under processed parts, but not when it was dry. So I went to the second salon that under processed me to have them correct it. It was hard for them since it wasn't below my new growth (new growth, relaxed, underprocessed, relaxed) and it was hard for them to find the part to apply it, but they got most of it. at least I thought they did, but they actually only got some of it.</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span ="font-size-1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : transparent; line-height: 1.2 !imant;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span style="line-height: 12px;">then my mom's girl friend relaxed my hair with ORS no lye pak. she was in a rush so she started without putting petroleum on my neck and hair line. she was half way done with the section in the back when I told her, but she still didn't stop to put it on. I thought nothing of it, in my mind I was thinking it's no-lye so it won't burn. why did I do that! when she was half way done my neck started burning, so then she started putting petroleum jelly. I told her maybe she should wipe off my neck with water again, but she didn't. (I have to learn to be more assertive in these situations.) my neck was burning the whole time, and the side of my forehead started burning too after the relaxer got rinsed out I looked in the mirror to see red spots where it burned. I showed her, and instead of putting aloe vera on it she put more petroleum in it. I washed that off and put aloe on it myself. now I have burn marks on my neck and the side of my forehead. I'm healing them with aloe vera gel, aloe vera leaves, and vitamin e oil. I never want to repeat this episode again. and then,</span><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;"> after she shampooed my hair in the sink, I went under the shower to comb out my hair and CLUMPS were coming out again! I barely even touched it with my comb yet!"</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1"><span style=": transparent; line-height: 1.2;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;">I discovered hair's talent salon and the head stylist there, gina rivera, finally got all my back to one texture! she did it by using mizani colored treated relaxer and properly </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15px;">separating</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;"> my hair to only apply it on the under processed parts. she also told me to wet my hair before coming and letting it dry without putting any product in it so the different textures show. genius! my hair lies down easily, so that's exactly what I suggested to the other salon that tried to correct my under processed hair, but they said you can't wash your hair before relaxing. I should have just ignored them. it's a correcter, not a touch up. but even after my hair texture was all one, rivera commented that I still have some breakage. it took me a while to learn I also had protein overload. >: [</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em; color: rgb69, 69, 69; line-height: 20px;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 1.2;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><span style=": transparent;"><span style="line-height: 1.2;">for under processed hair everyone kept advisin</span></span><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">g to use heavier protein treatments, well that was just making my hair situation worse! now I see I was getting breakage because of the under processed hair AND because I was beginning to get protein overload due to people's advice. I did not need a heavy protein treatment, what I needed was to up on my moisture to get more elasticity in my hair because of the extra curly texture. I wish I knew about elasticity tests back than. </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">now my hair is finally back to normal! I'm never going to another salon again! I don't care if hairs talent is two hours away! I never want to go through any of this again! and in a week I'm going to do the salon's healthy alternate to relaxers, japanese straightening! a happy ending. </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"> </span>

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; min-height: 1em;"><span style="line-height: 1.2; color: rgb69, 69, 69; : transparent; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
</span>

Woo lord! Them chemical burns are something else!
No, no one is supposed to stratch your scalp while shampooing the relaxer out, matter of fact your not supposed to stratch your head for a couple of day before your relaxer. I can't believe she did your relaxer with out putting the Petroleum base on your scalp?! I used to always do it my self the say before then have who ever is doing my hair right before the relaxer. Well I very happy you found a salon that's worth trusting with your relaxers because I understand going to a salon & getting chemical burns that gives you head aches.
I would love to see some pics if you got them.
Mooks-Hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooks-Hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 1:56am
Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through that. Hopefully you will head away from relaxers in the future. But so that you don't struggle with 2 textures...you may want to do a mild corrective. I suggest mixing some coconut oil into your relaxer and then applying it over the part that she did not finish and only leave it on for about 7 minutes at the most.
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 2:20pm
pictures! I just got my hair done november 23rd. the japanese straightening (thermal reconditioning) was a longer and more expensive process, but you can really see a difference in my hair. even now that it's been flat-ironed, you can still see a slight difference between the japanese straightened roots and relaxed length. the roots are smoother and shiner.

blow-dried, side view 

blow-dried, top view

flat-ironed, back-bottom view                side-top view                                                         
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>