FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

AZ School Superintendent Wants To Ban Spanish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AZ School Superintendent Wants To Ban Spanish
    Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 11:45am
Superintendent John Huppenthal used an anonymous online identity to call for a ban on the Spanish language.

Superintendent John Huppenthal used an anonymous online identity to call for a ban on the Spanish language.

CREDIT: AP

More and more people are demanding that Arizona’s top school official step down after he admitted to publishing a string of anonymous blog posts calling for a statewide ban on the Spanish language.

The superintendent of public instruction, Republican John Huppenthal, used an online alias to rant against Spanish speakers on a conservative-leaning website shortly after he was elected to office in 2010. “We all need to stomp out balkanization. No Spanish radio stations, no Spanish billboards, no Spanish TV stations, no Spanish newspapers,” wrote Huppenthal, adding, “This is America, speak English.”

“I don’t mind them selling Mexican food as long as the menus are mostly in English. And, I’m not being humorous or racist,” he said.

Additional posts recently surfaced in which Huppenthal anonymously referred to welfare recipients as “lazy pigs” and claimed F.D.R.’s economic policies helped Hitler rise to power. He confirmed he was the author of the posts in an interview with the Arizona Republic last week.

Former Arizona superintendent Lisa Graham Keegan has joined in the chorus calling for Huppenthal’s resignation. “You can’t hold the position of superintendent of schools and be saying things that sound disdainful of the people that you serve, you can’t do that,” she said. The Arizona Chamber of Commerce, which planned to host an awards show celebrating Huppenthal, has also condemned the superintendent’s offensive remarks. “Due to the recent comments that Superintendent Huppenthal admitted to making, the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry will not be presenting the superintendent with an award at our annual luncheon as we had planned,” stated the chamber’s CEO and president, Glenn Hamer.

In light of the comments, the Chamber will likely refrain from endorsing Huppenthal, who is up for re-election this year. But Huppenthal isn’t convinced that his controversial Internet presence will hurt his chances. “In eight of my 12 elections, I have had to walk through fire,” he said. “I don’t get into this to get along.”

David Lujan, a former state senator, pointed out that Huppenthal’s comments target a large percentage of the students he was elected to serve. “It’s very troubling when you consider I believe more than 40 percent of our public school population are Latino students.” According to the 2010 Census, nearly 40 percent of Arizona residents speak Spanish, and one in five youths between ages 5 and 17 speaks Spanish.

This is not the first time Huppenthal has rejected accusations of discrimination. In 2010, the government nearly brought a civil-rights lawsuit against Arizona after the state fired teachers for having accents. While the state agreed to go back to following federal guidelines for testing English fluency, Huppenthal vowed to continue instructing classroom monitors to report teachers with accents.

As a state senator, Huppenthal led a campaign to ban Tucson’s largest school district from continuing its Mexican-American Studies program set up under a decades-old desegregation case. He accused the program, which was linked to increased high-school graduation rates and improved academic performance, of fostering “racial resentment.” As superintendent, Huppenthal threatened to suspend 10 percent of the school district’s budget, forcing the district to discontinue the program’s classes on Latino and African American history in 2012.

Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 11:59am
good for him for standing by his convictions...

Quote Huppenthal, who is up for re-election this year.
LOL

in the face of unemployment

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:03pm
isn't AZ the same state that...

- doesn't recognize MLK Jr's birthday 
- has the "show me your papers" immigration law
- crazy gun laws.....

I want to be surprised, but I'm not. 

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:15pm
And this is why everybody should be home schooling their children. Yes, send them to the regular public school during the day. But afterschool and weekends should be devoted to educating your kids.

Why? Because the people in charge of your child's education do not give a damn about them if they are poor, brown, disabled, and/or in any other way disadvantaged.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:16pm
Huh! AZ is just full of racist nut jobs in govt. Word to Jan Brewer.

I hope the non-yt population organize to try and get him out of office. He has made it so very clear he gives no fukks about people who aren't White Americans.
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

- crazy gun laws.....

NOW they recognize MLK b-day..........only after the NFL got involved and threatened to take away the super bowl being played in this state that year Sleepy

But yeah, the Mexicans here ain't going for that crap.

"This is America, speak English" you say? Didn't English come from ENGLAND?  Shouldn't we all be speaking Navajo, Choctaw, or Cherokee? Jus' sayin.

Edited by Az~Maverick - Jun 25 2014 at 12:52pm
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

And this is why everybody should be home schooling their children. Yes, send them to the regular public school during the day. But afterschool and weekends should be devoted to educating your kids.

ITA: and Hi:
SMDH…

In our state Cali...this would Not work…
My son loves Spanish… although I prefer Japanese because--- our family and circle of friends have coached him into learning at the age of 3… and provided tools to assist him.
He prefers Spanish.   
I can’t believe that the public educational system has decided to exercise test placement for kindergarten, LOTS--- of homework, and all day attendance. My husband and I never had homework, school all day, and tests in K. Children need more time to play and have fun. Our son did excellent on all placement testing. --- However, that’s because we don’t play in our household. We teach academic excellence.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 12:40pm
man...everyone speaks spanish in az..lol i dont think this is gonna fly.
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

dont worry im constantly correcting that crap my kids learn in school.Sleepy

Edited by Lady ICE - Jun 25 2014 at 12:42pm
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

- crazy gun laws.....

NOW they recognize MLK b-day..........only after the NFL got involved and threatened to take away the super bowl being played in this state that year Sleepy

But yeah, the Mexicans here ain't going for that crap.

"This is America, speak English" you say? Didn't English come from ENGLAND?  Shouldn't we all be speaking Navajo, Choctaw, or Cherokee? Jus' sayin.
Clap
aNgElIc*SoUl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 2:44pm
I swear AZ is another Florida. Let me get my ass up out of this state.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic