Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Atlanta Snowpocalypse 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 26>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Kinda like how every few years there's a "massive heatwave" that "grips" NY, Chicago or somewhere way up yonda and people get to fallin out and dying when "the afternoon high temps soar to well past 100 degrees." Yeah, it was like, 104. 

Chile boo. Come holla at cha gurl when you wake up at 7AM on a July Saturday and it's already 93 degrees. Ermm
i'm sayin. gettin big in the britches over other people's lil snow then whining about heat stroke in the summers while they sit in front of box fans in windows or in the pubic library to stay cool.  or passing out on the street in my city talkin bout they wasn't ready. 

get a window unit and holla at me when it's in the 90s in the night hours after the sun has gone down. 

and i see you boo. i see you. LOL
Sponsored Links

iSMILE13 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iSMILE13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:59pm
I can't copy the post but 7a is full of cars. He can take 7b and due au turn if he needs to go in the opposite direction. People in the fb group listed it as passable

Edited by iSMILE13 - Jan 29 2014 at 3:59pm
TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:02pm
Half of my community didn't make it home last night.  And they still aren't home. 

Allow me to recap my Snowpocalypse nightmare (it could have been worse):

Doc appt. at 9:00 on Johnson Ferry across from Northside Hospital.  They said allow 3 hours, so I figured I'd be out at 12.  Planned to be back home around 1 or 2, latest.  Cool

Up at 6, original plan was to drive to Oakland City Marta, and take the train (live near Turner Field).  Got a bad feeling Ermm, and decided to take a cab to Five Points instead and go from there.

Got to Medical Center Marta around 8 something.  Bus wasn't coming until 8:40 so I took a cab to the doc's office.  Sleepy

Got out of doc's office at 12, and it was snowing.  No bus at that time, decided to walk to Medical Center.  Snow starting picking up on the walk back.  I'm cold and wet and really not prepared to be out in this weather. Stern Smile  People were already driving in panic mode and a Channel 2 truck was setting up cameras to report around there.

Got a train to Peachtree Center where I planned to grab a quick bite to go, and go to the ATM to get some cash for the cab ride.  Decided to forego a meal, and just pick up junk food from CVS.  Snow was quite heavy and sticking at this point.  Hit the ATM then I realized that Peachtree and all the side streets were gridlocked.  Chaos.  Shocked

Went back to the train station, waited on the platform with a growing crowd of people.  No train.  Then there was an announcement that there was a fire at Five Points and there were no trains/they were being rerouted or some other craziness. Confused  People were told to go up to Peachtree and there would be buses waiting for them that would take them to Civic Center.  Geek

Decided to go out and walk to the hotels to see if I could find a cab.  Most of those people decided to walk to Civic Center (I never saw any of the buses Marta claimed would be waiting).  Could barely walk, and couldn't find a cab.  Noticed all of the businesses were shutting down.  Realized that if I did find a cab, I'd just be sitting in the gridlocked traffic anyway.  Decided to wait a while at Peachtree Center and wait on the train issue to resolve. Censored

Went back to the train station around 2:45 and they were single tracking.  Eventually got a train to Five Points.  Decided to go out and look for a cab again.  No cabs, and gridlocked traffic.  Got back on the train and went to Georgia State. Censored

Okay, now I'm very close to home.  Called the only cab company that goes to my 'hood.  The hold time was ridiculous.  Called one of the cab drivers who I use from time to time.  He was at home and couldn't get me. Told me that the cab company is overwhelmed and I will not be able to get a cab.  Okay, so now what!? Angry AngryAngry

Saw a cab driving towards Grady Hospital and decided to walk down there to see if any cabs came around.  Saw a lady faint and pass out on the sidewalk Ouch  Stayed around there for about 15 minutes.  Cold.  Wet.  Crying. Cry  Phone battery dying.  It is getting late.  Must have been around 4 something.  Very frustrating to be so close to home and unable to get there.  Decide to go to the only place where I know there are plenty of cabs - the airport.

Got back on the train, went to the airport.  Got there, walked around a bit to warm up.  Saw loads of stranded and pissed passengers. Unhappy  Went to the ATM to get more cash.  Went out to the cab stand.

Okay, so there's like 60 people waiting and only 5 cabs - nooooooooooo! ShockedAngry Unhappy Stern Smile  They started rounding people up based on location.  I was headed downtown along with 4 other people, so they packed us in one cab. Big smile

Cab gets on 75/85 - sign says travel time downtown is 45 minutes. Shocked  Cars are spinning, sliding, and abandoned on the highway. Dead  Driver kept getting off and on via the exits and entrances, and eventually goes over to Langford Pkwy and over near Lakewood to do the side streets instead.  I guide him to my house.  Side streets were horrible.  He couldn't make it up the hill so he dropped me off on my street and walked it the rest of the way.  Was around 6....  Glad I got in before dark.  I hope everyone else made it safely.

Had I stuck with my original plan, I would have been stranded with my car at the train station because even that short drive would have been treacherous.

Never again.  I'll just cancel next time and eat the fee (spent more $ trying to get around).

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by iSMILE13 iSMILE13 wrote:

I can't copy the post but 7a is full of cars. He can take 7b and due au turn if he needs to go in the opposite direction. People in the fb group listed it as passable

ISMILE he just made it. Whoop Whoop!!! His first words were where's my food!LOL
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:20pm
Yay Suga!!!! Did you have food ready?
pinkdiemond View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkdiemond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:20pm
glad your hubby made it home suga
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:21pm
I haven't even seen snow in about 2 years. Wouldn't mind if I never seen it again for that matter. Black folk wasn't made for these type of climates!
TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:28pm
Glad he's home Suga
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:43pm
Food was ready and on deck just waiting for him. Thanks guys.
SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by OrriannaRose OrriannaRose wrote:

Originally posted by lanae lanae wrote:

The South is not prepared for shyt like this tho. The roads arent. Just like the north is not prepared for hurricanes

Not prepared or taught to drive on icy roads smh. Most of us have never heard of snow tires. Sleepy
Speaking for myself, no one ever formally taught me how to drive in snow/ice.

Experience here and there does. Maybe. I never really thought about it until now.

All it takes is one stormLOL 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 26>
  Share Topic