Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Exercise, Fitness, & Health > Diets, Diets, and More Diets!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedAtkins and Cholesterol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atkins and Cholesterol
    Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 12:53pm
I've lost and maintained much of my weight loss through a combination of consistent exercise and low carb eating.

I recently had a physical done along with blood work and was told my cholesterol was off the rockers.

As my doctor said too often we chose weight loss and whatever it takes to be thin or maintain a certain weight...over being completely healthy.

So  I'm just wondering if any of you low-carbers high fat cream cheese ooposie eaters have ever had your cholesterol checked?

FYI Cholesterol can lead to heart disease/stroke.  Heart disease is the leading cause of death amongst African-American women.

And my doctor did add that genetics could play a role in my high cholesterol levels, both of my parents are obese.  One is a very stubborn diabetic and the other suffers from high blood pressure.

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Aug 24 2009 at 10:29pm
Sponsored Links

MzKP03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 1:16pm

Good info...

I've been trying to lose weight the longest. Before I started dieting, my job had a wellness fair. There I had blood work done to check glucose and cholesterol levels. Weight and hight etc. My blood work turned out to be above  the recommendation level. I started doing low carb and found myself eating way more meat than needed and even bacon. My new lover/enemy.   I lost a few pounds, like 5. But recently at the follow up fair, my cholesterol levels shot rocket. I thought someone gave me faulted results. Keep in mind I only did the low carb for about 3months. Maybe I was eating all the wrong meats.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 2:10pm
MXKP03, my doctor told me stories of people who did Atkins for just a month and it set their cholesterol levels off sky high!

I've now become obsessed with reading about low carb diets and its linkages to high cholesterol, and I've found lots of stories of people with similar situations.

I also learned that the effects of high meat/high protein diets may not showup now for some of us now, but eventually they will.

Right now I've switched my diet to seafood, fish and veggies only and multi-vitamins. Wasn't really trying but as a result I've lost 7lbs.

And yes seafood is pricey and can spoil pretty fast, so I buy bags of flash frozen individually sealed seafood and other items from Costco (salmon filets, scallops, shrimp, halibut, tuna steaks).

I've also continued my regimen of exercising for an hour and moderate weight lifting a few times a week.  Sweating also helps to get rid of some of the sodium/salt I'm taking in from the seafood.

So far, I feel great and my skin looks great.
spencer4hire View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 4:10pm

SC, I experienced a huge spike in cholesterol readings as well, therefore I had to do a modified Adkins, substituting lean proteins (shrimp, fish sb chicken, and low fat turkey).   My doc said you really have to be careful with the plan and tweak it to tailor your needs.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 5:59pm

Spencer4hire, I too am doing a modified version of Atkins I guess. 

Lowcarbing for me really has become a lifestyle its the only way my body allows me to maintain my weight loss and/or continue to lose weight.

Hell if I even look at carbs, I gain weight! 

The cholesterol scare was a big ass wake-up call so I don't even have issues with craving high fat food such as hot wings, beef and cheese...I'm taking it one day at a time on giving up my love for bacon thoughEmbarrassed

Is it just me, or does bacon make everything taste soooo much better!  (My poor arteriesConfused)

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Aug 24 2009 at 10:27pm
Celie View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 10:11pm
Sen. Caroline
I am very careful about using cheese and oopsies and such.  I try to do most of my eating schedule with the basics - meat and veggies and salad.  I haven't had a oopsie, for instance in weeks.  But, will treat myself for something special to do a sandwich.  I treat with a shake or with a jalapeno stuffed one a week or so.

I eat low carb and have for a long time ( 1983) before the world discovered cholesterol ( LOL) and have not had a problem.  I too eat anything over 20 gms of carbs and can expect that I am toast with rolls !!!
SeXxiLuV818 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 10:13pm
I had the exact opposite results when I got my physical. Eating this way has lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Here's a helpful article I found that explains how Atkins works with cholesterol
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 7:47am
I modified my diet and do not eat as much cheese, bacon, ect...I switched to seafood and veggies...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by SeXxiLuV818 SeXxiLuV818 wrote:

I had the exact opposite results when I got my physical. Eating this way has lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Here's a helpful article I found that explains how Atkins works with cholesterol

First, let's not even begin to refer to the web for valid medical advice.  There are always gonna be different opinions.  Red meat is good for you, then we hear not to eat read meat.  The same goes for chocolate, caffefine and red wine.

Many of the websites encouraging low carb diets are funded by the makers of low-carb products such as Atkins or other lowcarb-related businesses.  Ever notice that when you go to these sites you see ads for low carbs products or links to other low carb sites.

SexxiLuv818 also the article from the link above quotes no medical source, nor makes references to specific studies conducted.  It refers to a "scientifc study" done in 1977, but by who...and medical evidence has evolved a great deal since 33 years ago.

I have included links and quotes to news articles one from the American Heart Association that examines the negative sides of low carb diets and the correlation to cholesterol spikes.

Bad fat is bad fat.  And a diet like Atkins that suggest the more fat the better over a long period of time just isn't good for anyone's arteries. 

Just as with alcholism and smoking, liver or lung problems may not reveal themselves right now, but eventually they do for a lot of people.  Think of the random news stories of women in their late 20's and 30's telling their stories of having a heart attack and having no previous symptoms.

Atkins has become EMPEROR of the diet world because of the often fast weight loss results it produces.  And for goodness sake its one of the few diets that encourages frying food in coconut oil, using butter and eating PORK BACON!  ( I just felt an artery clog from typing that alone Confused)

MsBMW I have sorta opted to a diet more similar to yours where I am doing seafood, veggies and maybe an occassional chicken breasts.  I cut out CARBS, cheese, dairy, pork, beef, oils, fruits and nuts.  For seasoning I buy any and every salt free seasoning I see at different stores, I even found salt-free mustard online!  Takes some serious OG discipline, but I feel great and I've lost a few lbs.

Heart Association to warn against low-carb diets
CNN) -- The American Heart Association has drafted an advisory paper warning the public about what it says are the dangers of high-protein diets. "They put people at risk for heart disease and we're really concerned about that," said Dr. Robert H. Eckel, senior author of the paper. "Long-term, the saturated fat and cholesterol content of the diet will raise the ... bad cholesterol and increase the risk for cardiovascular disease, particularly heart attacks."

Low carb diet may increase heart risk: Mouse study
The team found that the mice on the LCHP diet had gained less weight than the mice on the standard diet, but they had 15 per cent more aortic atherosclerosis the thickening of artery walls due to plaque formation and generated fewer new vessels in response to tissue ischemia. These changes could not be explained by changes in serum cholesterol, inflammatory mediators or infiltrates or oxidative stress.

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Aug 27 2009 at 11:30am
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2009 at 3:16pm
Well when it comes to an eating lifestyle, you have to have a BALANCE. Too much of anything (good or bad) can turn into a bad thing. So to sit there & eat beef & pork all day can't be good for your system, but same goes to EVERYTHING ELSE. :)

You can't eliminate all carbs. That's just asking to die at an early age. Maybe limiting them along with a healthy balance of protein, meat, & whatever else along with exercise will have you in the right path.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic