Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists 'have higher IQs'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 12 Votes, Average 2.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Yet another study done to make a subset of people feel better about themselves

Did you read the actual studies?  That is not what these studies are saying.  That is what the media is reporting.
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

So, while one cannot say A is automatically predispositioned to B, you can say that A is a common factor with B or shows up at a higher frequency, therefore making it true to a certain degree. 

And btw, this is soooo false.  A and B can be ice cream eaten and drownings.  Or number of pirates in the world and global temperature. (Both which are true facts if you substitute them out for A and B in your original post)

But the truth is, they have nothing to do with each other.

That's not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that there are common factors between the two and they tend to show up at a higher rate between the two. 
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:40pm

You're misrepresenting my stance. I don't care HOW many IQ points they're talking about. 

If the study was not carried out correctly and doesn't come to a conclusion based on logic like they want people to believe. 

The assertion that a high IQ causes people to reject the belief a deity is in fact subjective, just like you said. Not at all based in any truth or fact. 

But how would you arrive at "truth" or "fact" if you are asking a number of people what their personal beliefs are?  
I can't get into this without typing a whole lot. But you generally need experimental data, not observational data. 

Well, if someone out there is able to quantify beliefs so that this could be done, please let me know.  LOL
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:42pm
Look at the examples in the video. There are common factors between many things that are correlated. Doesnt make it fact At All.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:47pm
Lol. Anyone could carry this out in a more scientific way.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 1:24am

IDK maybe it's because Im a stats major, But I refuse to believe any stat that comes from a blog. wasn't this the same site that said all black women were inherently ugly?

That its from a blog and also from a popular magazine that isn't peer reviewed makes it more lacking in any real scientific evidence/credibility. 

I think this really is the true objective of this "study".  Atheists go around arrogantly thinking they are "smarter" then Christians anyway, and so this weak study was put together to try to back up such a lame assertion.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 2:00am
Hmmm.....
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

IDK maybe it's because Im a stats major, But I refuse to believe any stat that comes from a blog. wasn't this the same site that said all black women were inherently ugly?

That its from a blog and also from a popular magazine that isn't peer reviewed makes it more lacking in any real scientific evidence/credibility. 

I think this really is the true objective of this "study".  Atheists go around arrogantly thinking they are "smarter" then Christians anyway, and so this weak study was put together to try to back up such a lame assertion.

Yes, it is a blog.  It is a STARTING POINT.  There were 63 studies from 1950 (or earlier?)-2012 that were peer reviewed that examined the relationship between religious beliefs and intelligence.  Some of them found a correlation, others were inconclusive, still others found the opposite to be true.  It is a topic that continues to be examined.

Let's be honest.  If there were an article written about the intelligence or even health of religious people being better than those that weren't, a LOT of people would be eating it up.  I remember a thread a while ago about how a "study" claimed that prayer was shown to have an effect on recovery of the ill and not a single religious person stood up to question the validity of the article.  Instead, the article was supported...with anecdotal evidence which was accepted as "fact." 

And to be clear, once again.  Atheists don't go and attack or specifically go after Christians.  I find that a bit self-centered.  Atheists do not believe in ANY deities.  I have said it before, and I will continue to say, that I don't feel it's that large of an issue.  Atheists just believe in one less god than Christians do.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 2:57am
I will say that the uber Christians I know are a bit.....touched. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 10:35am

Yes, it is a blog.  It is a STARTING POINT.  There were 63 studies from 1950 (or earlier?)-2012 that were peer reviewed that examined the relationship between religious beliefs and intelligence.  

really? I just did a quick search through my schools research port. I found 4 articles on the topic, none which were peer reviewed. Also none of them said High IQ causes atheism except one (written by the same guy who wrote Black women are ugly).

ETA: Listen, if you want to believe this, then thats fine, and I really don't have a problem with it. But I just feel like it's your right to know there's no scientific proof like they are leading you to believe. 

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Aug 18 2013 at 10:38am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System