Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atheists 'have higher IQs'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 12 Votes, Average 2.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by NadiaPost NadiaPost wrote:

Why is it just atheist have high Iq's? What about people who worship cabbages and oranges. Why weren't they included in the study? Cabbage believers are just as smart as atheists. Cabbages are the same size as the human head..Think about it. Who conducted this study..Elmo?

That would follow under "other religions."
Sponsored Links

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 8:44pm
scientific proof can never be subjective. I know it seems like Im picking on little things, but honestly  it works my nerves when media (especially the daily fail) make conclusions on a 'statistic' that doesn't say anything of the sort and doesn't follow logic. It's just sensationalized and misleading to the public. 
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

scientific proof can never be subjective. I know it seems like Im picking on little things, but honestly  it works my nerves when media (especially the daily fail) make conclusions on a 'statistic' that doesn't say anything of the sort and doesn't follow logic. It's just sensationalized and misleading to the public. 

well

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 9:04pm

I just had a post and lost it.

Scientific proof actually relies on individuals and groups to be unbiased.  In order to have a scientific process a theory needs to be repeatedly tested, peer reviewed and recreated.  If an individual makes the claim, "god healed me through prayer!" An atheist will most likely 1. ask which god did the healing, 2. ask a person of a different faith how they believed they were healed and 3. ask a person who did not pray how they were healed. 

There seems to be this common misconception that Atheists automatically reject any evidence of a deity, which is not necessarily true.  Atheists ask for the evidence of a deity and of a person's specific deity, and if that proof is given, they are far more likely to change their mind.  If I received either good logical or empirical evidence for any deity, I would be excited.

At the end of the day, we are debating over a 4-6 point difference in IQ between theists and non-theists (that gap gets larger the more fundamentalist the theist is).  Much of it, I think, has to do with the way that theists and non-theists reason.  It doesn't mean that all atheists are geniuses, as that is not what any study I have come across has stated.
StylingArabella View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote StylingArabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 9:15pm
Sounds about right, I know an Atheist who could have a PHD in "Bitc%ing About Everything".
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 9:16pm
You're misrepresenting my stance. I don't care HOW many IQ points they're talking about. 

The study was not carried out correctly and doesn't come to a conclusion based on logic like they want people to believe. 

The assertion that a high IQ causes people to reject the belief a deity is in fact subjective, just like you said. Not at all based in any truth or fact. 

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Aug 17 2013 at 9:21pm
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 9:25pm

You're misrepresenting my stance. I don't care HOW many IQ points they're talking about. 

If the study was not carried out correctly and doesn't come to a conclusion based on logic like they want people to believe. 

The assertion that a high IQ causes people to reject the belief a deity is in fact subjective, just like you said. Not at all based in any truth or fact. 

But how would you arrive at "truth" or "fact" if you are asking a number of people what their personal beliefs are?  The studies say that those with higher IQs have a tendency to be atheist or agnostic.  Based on reading hundreds of individual experiences, without knowing the individual's IQ, the tendency towards rejecting theism had more to do with the tendency to question and apply more reasoning skills.  Questioning and reasoning also, coincidentally, are characteristics of individuals with higher IQs.  So, while one cannot say A is automatically predispositioned to B, you can say that A is a common factor with B or shows up at a higher frequency, therefore making it true to a certain degree. 

And I am not saying that the difference in IQ points is directly related to YOU or anything YOU have said.  I was making the observation in general, whenever the topic of theism and IQ comes up.  People often don't understand that these studies show a minor difference in IQ between theists and non-theists and then automatically assume the researchers are saying theists are stupid and non-theists are geniuses.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

If the study was not carried out correctly and doesn't come to a conclusion based on logic like they want people to believe. 

But how would you arrive at "truth" or "fact" if you are asking a number of people what their personal beliefs are?  
I can't get into this without typing a whole lot. But you generally need experimental data, not observational data. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

So, while one cannot say A is automatically predispositioned to B, you can say that A is a common factor with B or shows up at a higher frequency, therefore making it true to a certain degree. 

And btw, this is soooo false.  A and B can be ice cream eaten and drownings.  Or number of pirates in the world and global temperature. (Both which are true facts if you substitute them out for A and B in your original post)

But the truth is, they have nothing to do with each other.

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Aug 17 2013 at 10:33pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (18) Thanks(18)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2013 at 10:30pm
Yet another study done to make a subset of people feel better about themselves
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System