FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedATandT customers: You may be in for a refund

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATandT customers: You may be in for a refund
    Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 3:42pm
s

AT&T will pay $105 million for unauthorized charges on customer bills

By James O'Toole  @jtotoole October 8, 2014: 2:37 PM ET

att cramming AT&T must undertake a number of reforms as part of the cramming settlement.

Listen up, AT&T customers: You may be in for a refund.

AT&T (T, Tech30)has agreed to pay $105 million for "cramming" unauthorized charges on the monthly bills of its wireless customers, federal and state regulators announced Wednesday.

The charges -- typically $9.99 per month -- came from third-party services for things like trivia, horoscopes and love tips. AT&T is accused of keeping at least 35% of the fees, as well as obscuring the charges on bills and preventing customers from securing full refunds.

The deal is the largest cramming settlement in history, and includes the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, as well as all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.

"This case underscores the important fact that basic consumer protections -- including that consumers should not be billed for charges they did not authorize - are fully applicable in the mobile environment," FTC chairwoman Edith Ramirez said.

You can check on whether you were affected and apply for a refund on the FTC's website.

The FTC filed a similar lawsuit back in July against T-Mobile, (TMUS) alleging that the carrier earned a windfall in recent years from third-party merchants offering bogus text message subscriptions for things like flirting tips, horoscopes and celebrity gossip. Regulators have brought seven cases related to mobile cramming in the past year, and FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said more were coming.

"For too long, consumers have been charged on their phone bills for things they did not buy," Wheeler said. "It's estimated that 20 million consumers this year are caught in this kind of trap, costing hundreds of millions of dollars."

AT&T said in a statement that it and a number of wireless carriers had offered third-party "Premium Short Messaging Services" in the past few years.

"While we had rigorous protections in place to guard consumers against unauthorized billing from these companies, last year we discontinued third-party billing for PSMS services," the company said.

"Today, we reached a broad settlement to resolve claims that some of our wireless customers were billed for charges from third-parties that the customers did not authorize."

Some $80 million of the settlement has been set aside for customer refunds, along with $25 million in penalties due to regulators.

First Published: October 8, 2014: 12:52 PM ET

Edited by PurplePhase - Oct 08 2014 at 3:42pm
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 4:03pm
these companies are sad. 
i just read the other day Marriott hotel had to pay up for blocking people's personal wifi so you had to pay for their's
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 4:08pm
verizon recently had a plan to slow down   4G connection speeds for certain customers with unlimited data plans. Trying to force people who still have unlimited (like me) into getting one of their usage based data plans in order to get higher speeds.

thank goodness fcc stopped that in it's tracks
for now

Edited by PurplePhase - Oct 09 2014 at 1:12am
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 4:15pm
These money hungry bastards. They're already making a killing, and still want to cheat poor citizens out their hard earned money.

Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 4:56pm
Hell Yes!!! This is so true about At&t.

I left Sprint and started with At&t, my first bill with At&t for two lines was over $430, when we are only paying $80 per line a month.  Even prorated, it shouldn't be that high.
They upgraded us from a 4 gig to a 10 gig line and charged each line a $30 upgrade fee, all without my consent.
After several calls and three lying CS reps my bill was adjusted to $225. They did the same to my brother and his wife with the unrequested upgrades on their first bill. 

I went to the At&t store to pay my bill and mentioned to the rep that I was going back to Sprint and when I explained why she confirmed that that's the norm for At&t to rob the customers and most of the complaints are about "accidental" charges. The rep told me she ordered her iPhone from Sprint too. DAMN 

I went back to Sprint. Sprint had great new unlimited plans and Sprint is paying my early termination fees from At&t. I agree that Sprint aint Sh*t but they never attempted to rob me as At&t did.

Edited by Katrenia - Oct 08 2014 at 11:37pm
aNgElIc*SoUl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 10:03pm
I knew it! My granny didn't call them Afee&fee for nothin

I might be switching to Verizon.
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 10:19pm
tisk tisk......I have Uverse...they did charge me for a rental tho when I had a couponStern Smile
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 10:57pm
my pops been complaining about dropping att. They are always over charging.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 11:01pm
Leaving them bishes was great. FOH with their shady billing.Beer
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

Hell Yes!!! This is so true about At&t.

I left Sprint and started with At&t, my first bill with At&t for two lines was over $430, when we are only paying $80 per line a month.  Even prorated, it shouldn't be that high.
They upgraded us from a 4 gig to a 10 gig line and charged each line a $30 upgrade fee, all without my consent.
After several calls and three lying CS reps my bill was adjusted to $225. They did the same to my brother and his wife with the unrequested upgrades on their first bill. 

I went to the At&t store to pay my bill and mentioned to the rep that I was going back to Sprint and when I explained why she confirmed that that's the norm for At&t to rob the customers and most of the complaints are about "accidental" charges. The rep told me she ordered her iPhone from Sprint too. DAMN 

I went back to Sprint. Sprint had great new unlimited plans and Sprint is paying my early termination fees from At&t. I agree that Sprint aint Sh*t but they never attempted to rob me as At&t did.

We are thinking about switching to Sprint from AT&T before the end of the contract.  AT&T did us the same thing padding charges, upgrading our phones without prior consent.  Each CS rep claimed our bill was adjusted and it is not true.  Our last bill was $562.73.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic