Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
catmarie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asthma Meds
    Posted: Jul 31 2006 at 11:29am

Hello All:

My granddaughter is 10 years old and is on a lot of asthma medications (inhaled cortesteroids, etc.) which I think are having an adverse reaction on her hair.  Unfortunately, my daughter and I made the mistake of putting a relaxer on her hair which has since worn off, but everytime it starts growing the ends break off very easily.  We now use the flat iron (a brand that doesn't get very hot), but it still seems like her ends keep breaking off.  We've tried every kind of conditioner you can name but none of it does much good.  Her hair is very thick and course (which is why we attempted the relaxer in the first place), so even though we flat iron it, after about 30 minutes to an hour, it is right back to the natural state.  It is so very weak, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are there any other moms who are experiencing this with their asthmatic girls?
Sponsored Links

ladydd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2006 at 5:53pm
My daughter was a chronic asthmatic as a child.  The steriod is affecting her hair.  For my daughter the only saving thing to do was to let her hair stay in its natural state.  I kept a spray bottle with 1/4 conditioner 3/4 water and I would spray her hair with this mixture when I combed it.     As long as Cherish (my daughter) was on the steriod theraphy her hair would break off from any heat and all relaxers.    I had to learn to work with her natural hair.

But when she was around 15 the asthma got much better and she was able to get a relaxer.  It still breaks out when she has a asthma episode and has to take heavy meds though.

Edited by ladydd - Jul 31 2006 at 5:54pm
catmarie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 1:26pm
ladydd,

Thank you so much for validating exactly what I thought was happening.  My granddaughter will probably never be off of her meds, so you are blessed in that regard, but her asthma is really under control, thank God. I will try your method using the conditioner/water. We'll just keep doing the best that we can for her and her hair. 
ladydd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 10:04pm

It will may help to take a look at the natural hair section of this website for good moisturizing tips.

Also she may eventually get better with her asthma.  When Cherish was younger she wanted to play etc., so she did not listen to her body.  I can not tell you how many times I spent weeks in the hospital with her in a tent or intibated because her lungs had collapsed  But as she got older she learned what would trigger an attack and that helped decrease the frequency.

Just be loving a patient it will get better.

~*Wisdom*~ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 12:24pm
 Yes I think that is what is happening to my daughter's hair, it has been breaking off and I  she has been getting really bad bald spots, I was thinking maybe she was getting alopecia, but the dr ruled that out. So maybe it is the medicine, she has to take the costeriods 2 times a day and she has her inhaler frequently throughout the day. So now I know this maybe the problem.
catmarie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2007 at 4:00pm
Hey ladies,

I just wanted to let you know that my grand daughter is still taking the meds, but her hair texture is better because we mostly keep her hair in cute braids and cornrows.  Her hair is very, very thick but it is healthy.  It still doesn't grow as I think it should be.  Also, we give her the Herbmart Liquid vitamins, Kyolic garlic supplements, and a probiotic just to try to build up her immune system.  It's been tough this winter though.  We gave her the flu shot and her allergy shot on the same day (her nurses said that it wouldn't bother her) but I think it did because she was really sick for about 6 weeks after that.   She's doing well now.   Hope you all are doing good.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic