Perfect Hair Collection

Asian Adoptive Parents of Black Kids Jailed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asian Adoptive Parents of Black Kids Jailed
    Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:01am

Couple Jailed in Qatar After Being Accused of Murdering Adopted Daughter

By Babble.com | Parenting – 22 hours ago
  • Emailt=horizo>
  • < border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I1_1376135960370" name="I1_1376135960370" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fast?bsv&size=medium&annotation=bubble&hl=en-US&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fshine.yahoo.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fshine.yahoo.com%2Fparenting%2Fcouple-jailed-qatar-being-accused-murdering-adopted-daughter-135200735.&g=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en_US.VTTiBgmXuI4.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DEQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTMhP3fdOsizkTWyGH2VCTELbCnDmA#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled&id=I1_1376135960370&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fshine.yahoo.com&pfname=&rpctoken=31764622" allowtransparency="true" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style=": static; top: 0px; width: 90px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: ; heig
  • Print

photo of the familyphoto of the familyHave you heard yet about Matthew and Grace Huang, the American couple jailed in Qatar since January of this year? No? neither had I. Now that I have, I'm compelled to share their story. 

Matt and Grace's adopted daughter, Gloria, died suddenly on January 15th, 2013 for reasons unknown.The next day, Matt and Grace were jailed in Doha, Qatar and charged with her murder.The California Innocence Project has since taken on their case. 

The Huangs are Asian-American with three children adopted from Africa. According to the investigative report, they could not have had a legitimate reason to adopt children who were not "good-looking" and who did not share their "hereditary traits.". 

Whoa. 

Related: The REAL cost of adoption in 13 countries around the world

But there's more. The investigative reports theorize that Matthew and Grace "bought" their children in order to harvest their organs, or perhaps to perform medical experiments on them. 

Did I mention this was in writing? By government officials? It's one thing to have suspicions, gossip or ask grieving parents inappropriate and prying questions. But to write it down in an official report? This signals a culture difference that most Americans probably can't wrap their heads around. However, it's really American culture that is abnormal, not Qatar's. 

The U.S. has more adoptions than all other countries combined. Most countries in the Middle East don't have any legal proceedings that would allow for adoption (needless to say they are not aHague Adoption Country). The concept is just that foreign. Kathryn Joyce recently wrote a fascinating book on the American Christian adoption movement, The Child Catchers: Rescue, Trafficking, and the New Gospel of Adoption. I would highly recommend reading it. 

Complicating matters, Qatar is a Muslim country, and Islamic law doesn't recognize adoption. Adoption isn't forbidden - it just doesn't make much sense. Blood ties determine everything: marriage, inheritance, and one's spiritual and physical place in the world. An exchange of papers doesn't reset a person's biological family. As an adoptee and (almost) adoptive parent, adoption has always been imbedded in my worldview. I really have to strain to consider a culture that considers the relationship I have with my parents and that with my daughter as foreign. 

The autopsy report on 8-year-old Gloria is confusing and continues to be debated. Gloria, adopted from Ghana, had eating issues that are common in children from countries with poor food security. Having worked with the World Food Program and UNHCR in Ghana, much of my time was focused on attempting to treat children with feeding disorders. I watched dozens of children sit daily, for hours during the supplemental feeding visits, refusing to eat. The reasons vary and are too numerous to list. 

I don't know what happened to little Gloria, but it's easy to imagine that this transracial family was so odd, and their claim of relation so bizarre in the context of this tiny Middle Eastern country, The Huangs were wrongly accused. 

- By Rebecca 

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/couple-jailed-qatar-being-accused-murdering-adopted-daughter-135200735.html

Edited by bindy - Aug 10 2013 at 7:02am
Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:07am
a poster on yahoo wrote this

725users liked this commentRate a Thumb UpRate a Thumb Down24users disliked this comment
Paul P  •  20 hours ago Report Abuse
As is typical of Yahoo stories, they only give you a very small picture of the whole story. That piece they choose so that can generate the most interest and have people hit the page and read it, so they make money in advertising. Google the parents names. The Huans were in Qatar working, as Mathew is an engineer. Gloria had an eating disorder where she appeard very malnourished, would not eat for days, but would then binge eat. This was something that went on for years and the Huang's dealt with it. The girls death was listed as starvation (in Qatar), but there is alot more to it than that. Basically, Qatar, and most countries of this sort, tend to take the most immediately available of facts and make decisions on those facts without looking much further. This seems to be the case here also. But its stupid to suppose they intended to harvest her organs as death by starvation (or so the authorities summize) would put said organs in a very sorry state.
47 Replies
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:14am
I don't think those parents murdered that child at all.  That family looks hella happy together.  They probably adopted because like many other people, they couldn't have kids of their own.  This is ridiculous and Qatar needs to let those people go.  I wonder what happened to the kids.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:44am
Damn... I wonder how long they've been in jail and who took the kids. This is insane. They're all smiling in the pic, they don't look like abused children. And the bit about implying the kids are ugly???
Beautiful_One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Beautiful_One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:53am
This is so backwards. I feel for the whole family.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 7:55am
The child had an eating disorder? Confused
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

The child had an eating disorder? Confused
She must have suffered a great deal before being adopted, for her to still have that problem.  I don't think it's coming from the parents' attitude/expectations. I could be wrong.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 8:07am
I don't know. When a child dies of starvation, the parents usually have some fault. I mean, the charges against them in Qatar seem unfair, but they do need to be charged with something somewhere (child neglect, endangerment, etc). I just don't see them as faultless. I know, I'm mean.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 8:18am
I'm crying for that little girl.

I can only be so tolerant of some of these backwards countries. Ugly children!? Did they really just say that about a baby who died? Hook noses and all that I know run rampant in Qatar????

Well f.uck the belief system that allows them to spew this kind of hate. I am tired of being PC.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 8:20am
Her "eating disorder" is common in many African children who've undergone starvation before. They just don't eat or eat very seldom.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>