Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Artist refuse to remove Trayvon Martin Mural .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Artist refuse to remove Trayvon Martin Mural .
    Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:18pm

Trayvon Martin muralist Huong vows to continue despite threats, hate mail

‘I have an opportunity to explain firsthand what racism means and what injustice means,’ said the Miami artist, who plans to respond to each piece of hate mail on her website. Huong reveals George Zimmerman lookalike in painting is really her assistant. She unveiled the mural at Florida state capitol and plans to take it on the road.

Comments (102)

By Doyle Murphy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

< style=": static; MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 32px; HEIGHT: 20px; VISIBILITY: ; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=I0_1376622660480 title=+1 =0 marginHeight=0 ="https://apis.google.com/_/+1/fast?bsv=o&usegapi=1&width=&size=medium&annotation=none&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fhate-mail-pours-trayvon-martin-muralist-article-1.1425448&g=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.OfUEVuqcukI.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DEQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTODnBhYpi-MIs0LO9CSXk73pPVc0w#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2C&id=I0_1376622660480&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&pfname=&rpctoken=97765564" Border=0 width="100%" name=I0_1376622660480 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no -gapiattached="true">
Print
Huong in front of her ‘We are All Trayvon Martin’ mural. She said she was not placing her own views on the mural but rather conveying the ‘voice of America.’

Peace Mural Foundation

Huong in front of her ‘We are All Trayvon Martin’ mural. She said she was not placing her own views on the mural but rather conveying the ‘voice of America.’

Related Stories

The Miami artist behind the controversial “We Are All Trayvon Martin” mural says she won’t back down despite threats and volumes of hate mail.

“This is not new to me,” Huong told the Daily News.

Huong’s mural shows a George Zimmerman look-alike blasting a hooded Trayvon Martin as Martin Luther King Jr. bleeds in the background. Martin’s face has been replaced by a mirror.

“The person in the hoodie could be you,” Huong said. “It could be me.”

Huong’s works also include ‘The American Color Mural.’ She will next display the Trayvon Martin mural in Miami.

Courtesy of Huong

Huong’s works also include ‘The American Color Mural.’ She will next display the Trayvon Martin mural in Miami.

Reaction was intense after the unveiling on Friday at the state capitol in Tallahassee, Fla. Hate mail and threats poured in. Huong said she’ll respond on Tuesday to each letter through posts on her website, peacemural.org.

Huong said she has explored themes of racism, social justice and peace for 20 years, drawing on her background as a Vietnam War refugee.

“I have an opportunity to explain firsthand what racism means and what injustice means,” she said.

Edited by india100 - Aug 15 2013 at 10:24pm
    Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:24pm
    Update with picture .
    NARSAddict View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:25pm
    I have no objections to the artwork.  I guess it is good art when it stirs up a strong emotion, whether good or bad.  I guess a bit of controversy doesn't hurt either.  But I know folks can apply the same arguement when an artist can display an artwork using menstrual blood too. 
    india100 View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:27pm
    Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I have no objections to the artwork.  I guess it is good art when it stirs up a strong emotion, whether good or bad.  I guess a bit of controversy doesn't hurt either.  But I know folks can apply the same arguement when an artist can display an artwork using menstrual blood too. 
    I agree . The first time i saw the mural i felt confused and sad . I understand now what the lady is trying to say .
    Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 10:32pm
    She's a Great Artist, the Mural is Poignant...
    Lilaca View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 12:52am
    but white peo.......

i can't
    nemesis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nemesis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 7:51am
    I like the painting. Very moving.
    CherryBlossom View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:33am
    I think the mural is beautiful and thought-provoking.
    CLCNY20 View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 8:35am
    Very moving.  I like it.
    JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 9:37am
    Not sure how this mural could be hard to understand in the first place. It's pretty explicit. I like it. I hope she never backs down.
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    The Elite Hair Care Sorority
    Electric Cherry Hair
    Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
    DivaWigs.com
    Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic