BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Article about black hair industry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2014 at 5:24am
Indeed nature.  some of that is not completely "their" fault tho.  I've heard many a person they'll get it where then can get it the cheapest.  Damn a support black business.
Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Those two styles would cost around $150 to $200 in a shop. There's about $20-40 of weave if that for that style and maybe $2 of hair products. Most money goes to service. Which in turn goes to overhead etc..

I have a feeling you don't wear hair... tell me if I am wrong? If you think the majority the Billion dollar of Black Hair biz is about the service you have not been watching the videos LOL I am not even trying to be funny! This is quite serious I was in a Black Owned BSS over the weekend it was small and products were out dated she told be the reason she did not have any freetress products in her store was because the is a 70K (buy-in) to lease/sell their products. *(Korean owned) I told her she needs to start learning how to read,speak and write in Korean if she wanted to get ahead
chocolate03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2014 at 10:04am
^^^And she is right. I have an online hair store. In the beginning my aim was to open a BSS because I was tired of giving the rude Koreans my hard earned money! To get any products they want you to give tens of thousands of dollars upfront because they know that Blacks don't have access to that kind of capital. That's how they keep us out. In order to take control we would have to manufacture our own products. I'm open to supporting etsy shops if anyone wants to drop some links to some sellers with good hair products...
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2014 at 10:38am
services are not counted in that multimillion number. we are still losing out on something we should have the biggest piece of the pie in. if we had our own product to use in those services than 100% would for us.

And many people are becoming DIY. So services are further not counted. Many use the products and style their hair all by themselves, especially naturals. Some havent stepped foot into a salon in years but are product junkies. One person cant spend hundreds a year on shampoos, conditioners, deep conditioners, oils, moisturizers, protein treatments, color, spritz, gels, the list goes on and on. So you see having our own products is still a huge factor.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 3:39am
this is crazy im glad more women are back to growing their own hair
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 3:43am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

We can set trends but can't keep the money

See...i'm a sucker for packaging/marketing.   When I first saw pics for Havana Twist I remember thinking I loved the images.   When I look at the top pic...it looks cheap.  Like your average BSS stuff you'd see on Samsbeauty.  The below pic looks like quality.

Not sure how this adds to the convo but just sayin'.
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 3:57am
The only way its going to work is if the prices are kept down...we cant be getting paid less than our yt counterparts and expected to pay more for haircare its not right idgaf if it a black business if its cutting my bottom line its not gonna work

and I know people in china get paid slave wages I understand that
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HaitianLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

The only way its going to work is if the prices are kept down...we cant be getting paid less than our yt counterparts and expected to pay more for haircare its not right idgaf if it a black business if its cutting my bottom line its not gonna work

and I know people in china get paid slave wages I understand that

they mentioned that in the LHCF thread. The counter reason was that these independent black hair businesses pay more for their materials than others do. Big companies can get mass materials for dirt cheap, have machines do the mixing and pack them up (which equals less workforce to pay), this makes them able to sell a product at $7 and still make a profit. But with Black businesses alot of times they are doing the products themselves so the have to buy the material at full price because they dont get the discount others do, and them and their family have to sit around and do the mixing and packaging (which means these people need to get paid so they can survive). If they were to sell their products at $7 they would be breaking even and make no profit. On top of which the materials that these businesses are using are different. Big companies use a bunch of cheap chemicals and fillers in the products, but many of these new black hair businesses are using good natural ingredients that cost more.

so im okay with spending a little extra for a good product. Some chicks would spend $40 at the asian nail salon, $300+ on some brazilian wavy hair that goes to some asians, $200 on some shoes that go to a white person, a $150 dress that goes to a white company, but complain to drop $16 for a moisturizer that goes to a black person. The black hair businesses are giving products that are far superior to the one in stores so why do they have to drop their prices?

Edited by HaitianLuv - Aug 08 2014 at 9:34am
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Those two styles would cost around $150 to $200 in a shop. There's about $20-40 of weave if that for that style and maybe $2 of hair products. Most money goes to service. Which in turn goes to overhead etc..

I have a feeling you don't wear hair... tell me if I am wrong? If you think the majority the Billion dollar of Black Hair biz is about the service you have not been watching the videos LOL I am not even trying to be funny! This is quite serious I was in a Black Owned BSS over the weekend it was small and products were out dated she told be the reason she did not have any freetress products in her store was because the is a 70K (buy-in) to lease/sell their products. *(Korean owned) I told her she needs to start learning how to read,speak and write in Korean if she wanted to get ahead

I wear hair.
I have a feeling you do not go to get your hair done or know the margins on most products sold in those stores to be able to compare. I'm all for black businesses I just think the whole premise that Koreans are able to make money off the hair game and we can't quite ridiculous. A busy salon with 10 chairs could easily bring in over a million a year. If the stylists resell human hair or make and sell wigs even more.
Instead of getting money by getting where we fit in, we're often distracted by irrelevant bull.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic