Perfect Hair Collection

Arrest: Girl 6, Found Frozen to Death

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrest: Girl 6, Found Frozen to Death
    Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:25pm

Cousin arrested after girl, 6, is found frozen to death outside Minnesota home 

Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was found unconscious in an entrance to a Bemidji apartment building on Feb. 27. Her cousin, Rachel Downer, faces charges of second-degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child.

Comments (17)

By David Harding / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Print
Share This URL:
   Rachel Downer (right) was arrested in connection with the death of her 6-year-old cousin, who was found frozen outside her Minnesota home on Feb. 27.

Rachel Downer via Facebook

Rachel Downer (left) was arrested in connection with the death of her 6-year-old cousin, who was found frozen outside her Minnesota home on Feb. 27.

Rachel Downer, 22, of Bemidji, was booked on suspicion for 2nd degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child after her 6 year-old cousin died to exposure from the cold in Bemidji, Minnesota last month.

Bemidji Police Deparment

Rachel Downer, 22

The cousin of a six-year-old girl who froze to death outside her home in temperatures of -30 degrees has been arrested in connection with her death.

Tiny Mercedes Mayfield was discovered unconscious in the entrance to an apartment building the morning of February 27 in Bemidji, Minnesota.

RELATED: MINN. GIRL, 6, FOUND APPARENTLY FROZEN TO DEATH OUTSIDE APARTMENT

Windchill drove the temperature down to -40 degrees.

It remains unclear how long Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was outside before dying from hypothermia.

KSTP

It remains unclear how long Mercedes Mayfield, 6, was outside before dying from hypothermia.

Now cousin Rachel Downer, 22, has been arrested and is expected to be charged with second-degree manslaughter and felony neglect of a child, according to a Bemidji police statement.

RELATED: BRONX MAN SAVED AFTER FALLING INTO HALF-FROZEN LAKE

Mercedes was discovered by her mother and a neighbor, who immediately called 911.

She was dressed in a coat, boots, hat and mittens. It is not clear how the first-grader got outside, but she may have been there overnight.

She died from hypothermia.

Sponsored Links

IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:26pm
As I was reading I was hoping she wasn't black. Poor thing, may she rest in peace. This cousin needs to be put under the jail though
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:29pm
I swear people will leave they kids with any throwed off mutha f*cka they know or don't know...

Edited by liesnalibis - Mar 15 2014 at 3:30pm
reesegurl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesegurl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:30pm
poor baby

I just can't even imagine the horror my daughter is 6 and ugh I just can't....
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:30pm
-30 degrees overnight? She suffered

My mother still calls when there's going to be bad weather and tells me not to go anywhere unless I have to... why was she outside
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:35pm
it's not clear how she got out and she may have been there overnight? 

tf?! who? where? what? why? when? how? 

that poor baby. so many damn questions!! 

*sigh* smh
reesegurl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesegurl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:41pm
They probably locked her out and "forgot" about her smh
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:42pm
She was dressed in her coat, boots, hat, gloves, etc but no one knows how she got out? Foh.
StylingArabella View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote StylingArabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:43pm
I'm confused and need more details. I mean, I realize the outcome however the story is so short and lacks explanations. 

The little girl was outside in her coat, boots, hat, and mittens. From the pic above she seems to like the her cousin. They aren't even sure how the little girl got out nor do they say anything about negligence on the cousins part or the cousins statements leading to the arrest. They say Tiny Mercedes was found at the entrance of AN apartment building by her mother and a neighbor. That leads me to believe that there was a search, but they don't say anything about calls to the police. Did the little girl simply wander out? Was the cousin arrested because she was responsible for the safety of the little girl? Was she the sitter? Did the cousin think she left with the mother or something? Either way this is a tragic and heart breaking story  Stories like these should not be released without more detail.
tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropical-punch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 3:49pm
burn her at the stake! Angry
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>