Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Army Bans Braids and Twists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

so just to be clear if I have a wig it can't look like this:

That blonde s*** is ugly any .. that should be banned for civilians just on GP.
Sponsored Links

morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:21am
I got micros right before getting on the plane because my recruiter said it would be a convenient style for bct. When I got to reception they gave me 3 hours to take them out LOL.

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 12:23am
So what are black women doing? Are can you wear a crew-cut or is that considered MANLY?
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 3:25pm

Hagel changes hair policy after controversy

Aug. 12, 2014 - 06:00AM   |  

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims
Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims (Photo courtesy HM2 Jessica Sims)

By Andrew Tilghman
Staff writer

Dreadlocks, cornrows, twisted braids and other hairstyles popular among African American women will be more accepted across the military after a forcewide review of hairstyle policies prompted several changes, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.

The three-month review came after a spate of complaints that service-level grooming policies were racially biased against black women who choose to wear their hair naturally curly rather than use heat or chemicals to straighten it.

“Each service reviewed its hairstyle policies to ensure standards are fair and respectful while also meeting military requirements,” Hagel wrote in a letter to lawmakers on Capitol Hill notifying them of the changes Monday. “These reviews were informed by a panel of military personnel of mixed demographics reflective of our diverse force.”

Three services — the Army, Navy and Air Force — have authorized additional hair styles, Hagel said.

The Marine Corps agreed to hold a special meeting of its uniform board later this year and is conducting a forcewide survey about whether the “twist” or “dreadlocks” styles should be permitted while in uniform.

The review concluded that the terms “matted and unkempt,” which the Army and Air Force used to describe some dreadlocks and braids, are “offensive” and were removed from service grooming policies, Hagel said.

For some women, the hair regulations were derailing otherwise promising careers. For example, Navy Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Jessica Sims, a 12-year sailor, wears her hair in long, tightly twisted locks pulled into a bun when she’s in uniform.

No commanders ever complained about her hair, Sims said, until she was assigned as a teacher at the Navy’s boot camp, Recruit Training Command Great Lakes in Illinois. There, the 32-year-old sailor with an unblemished record was told to cut her hair or wear a wig, and when she refused, her commanders processed her for separation for “serious misconduct.”

Sims’s case was put on hold recently by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, who asked for additional review.

Hagel’s policy made service-specific changes:

Army:

■ Increased the size of authorized braids, cornrows and twists and eliminated the spacing requirement.

■ Authorized temporary two-strand braids.

■ Authorized a ponytail during physical training.

■ Eliminated the terms “matted and unkempt” from grooming policy.

Navy

■ Authorized two-strand twists.

■ Authorized multiple braids to hang freely if they remain above the collar and encompass the whole head.

Air Force

■ Authorized two-strand twists, French twists and Dutch braids.

■ Changed the term “dreadlocks” to “locs.”

■ Eliminated the terms “matted and unkempt” from grooming policy.

Marine Corps

■ Will convene a special uniform board this summer to consider expanding authorized hair styles.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140812/NEWS07/308120068/Hagel-changes-hair-policy-after-controversy

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 12:37am
ysy :)
sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 12:46am
I'm in the Air Force, I may come back to discuss more later, but it's a very big deal for all military members. 
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Hagel changes hair policy after controversy

good.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 9:36am

Navy Discharges African-American Sailor For Refusing To Cut Off Her Natural Hair

by Judd Legum Posted on

sims_crop

CREDIT: Jessica Sims

This week, the Navy announced that it was discharging Jessica Sims, who been a sailor for 12-years, for “failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle.”

The military has been under scrutiny for guidelines issued in March that critics believe were discriminatory toward African-American women. Those regulations “specifically forbid several hairstyles popular for black women who keep their hair natural, including twists, headbands, dreadlocks, or multiple braids that are larger than a quarter-inch.” A former U.S. Army Major, writing on ThinkProgress, sharply criticized the regulations, noting they targeted “natural styles African American service women have been wearing for years.”

Sims had been wearing her hair in the same way since 2005, without any apparent issues.

In response to the criticism, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel ordered the regulations to be relaxed earlier this month to “allow female service members to have a wider range of hairstyles.” But the Navy found that Sims hair still violated their guidelines.

Sims rejected repeated calls from the Navy to change her hair style, saying “I don’t think I should be told that I have to straighten my hair in order to be within what they think the regulations are, and I don’t think I should have to cover it up with a wig.”

The Navy said her hairstyle made it difficult for her to wear a gas mask. Sims said that her hair conformed to regulations requiring it protrude less than two inches from her head and that she “never had a problem wearing safety helmets or gas masks.”

After her discharge, Sims had no regrets: “I still stand by it. I would do it again if I had to.”

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/08/22/3474590/navy-discharges-african-american-sailor-for-refusing-to-cut-off-her-natural-hair/

Edited by tatee - Aug 22 2014 at 9:37am
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2014 at 12:33pm
Damn. She the real MVP.LOL

*Hope she has other things lined up now that she is out the Navy. And I hope it was an honorable discharge.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2014 at 11:10am
 So the Army did modify Natural hairstyling regulations removing the ridiculous and letting twists be allowed!Clap  Dreadlocks are still unauthorized, but cornrows can  1/2 inches and evenly spaced.  Details below.  From Army Times:

Female soldiers are now allowed to wear twists. The hairstyle, popular among black female soldiers, was outlawed in the March 31 update to AR 670-1. The Army has recanted.

Under the new rules, braids, cornrows and twists can be worn, with a diameter of no greater than a ½ inch. This rule expands the size of braids and cornrows, which had previously been limited to a ¼ inch.

Further, the Army has lifted a requirement that the braids and cornrows be spaced uniformly with no more than an 18 of an inch of scalp in between. Now the only requirement is that braids, cornrows and twists be evenly spaced.

Ends of these approved hairstyles must be secured “inconspicuously.” The Army lifted the requirement they be secured with a rubber band.

Braids, cornows and twists do not have to start at the front of the head and go back. Rather, they can “follow the natural direction of the hair.” However, a “zig zag” pattern is unauthorized.

A woman can wear a larger bun. The prior rules limited the size at 3 inches, when measured from the scalp. The new rule accommodates 3 ½ inches.

Braids and twists may be worn in pony tails during PT.

Dreadlocks or locks remain unauthorized, however the Army removed the words “unkempt” and “matted” in describing them. This language was deemed offensive and pulled from the reg as part of a Defense Department review of appearance rules across the services.

Regarding wigs, the Army added a line to say to that they cannot be worn to “cover up unauthorized hairstyles.”  LMAO--it will be interesting how they think they can enforce this.  No SGM is going to walk around snatching wigs offLOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic