BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Are you offended by the term Negro?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I would not check that on a Form . Black would be ok with me .

It piles everyone into one bucket:
Black, African American or Negro

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:54pm
Its on the census forms as well.....its super offensive....
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I would not check that on a Form . Black would be ok with me .

It piles everyone into one bucket:
Black, African American or Negro

I understand your point , but growing up with that word from white folk as a child made me feel the way i do . JMO
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I say colored and negro but not in front of white people. Wink 

I see what you did thereWink
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I use negro and colored all the time.

I don't really like the terms african american and black.

Anyway, I don't see what there is to be offended by.
ia, idk why we're called black when our skin is brown    its not like they are even shortening it,...... still 5 letters, still one syllable

I think I'm gonna start checking off other
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:10pm
i say negro but naw white cant
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:12pm
it's a term of endearment to me!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:19pm

No More 'Negro' For Census Bureau Forms And Surveys

by Tanya Ballard Brown

February 25, 2013 1:24 PM

The Census Bureau announced Monday that it would drop the word "Negro" from its forms, after some described it as offensive. According to the Associated Press, the term will be replaced next year by black or African-American. From the AP:

"The change will take effect next year when the Census Bureau distributes its annual American Community Survey to more than 3.5 million U.S. households, Nicholas Jones, chief of the bureau's racial statistics branch, said in an interview."

AP reports that the term was first used in the 1900 Census, and back in 2010, a bureau public information officer told us that the word had been on Census forms since about 1950.

But the bureau and the Census Director's Blog decided to tackle the issue after many African-American people complained about it during the 2010 Census.

"The category 'Black, African Am., or Negro' was used in Census 2000, based on research in the late 1990s that showed there was an older cohort of African-Americans who self-identified as 'Negro.' Surprisingly, about 56,000 persons took the time to write in under the 'some other race' category the word 'Negro.' Above half of them were less than 45 years of age in 2000.

"The Census Bureau didn't do any research on the respondent reaction to the word 'Negro' in the 2000s, but did do tests that showed answers to the ethnicity and race questions tended to change depending on the order of the questions. I think some research on the sensitivity of answers to the presence of 'Negro' should have been done last decade, but I am unaware of what limitations there were on the research program then."

We asked readers what they thought about it at the time, and it was tight. But about 53 percent of those who answered our question seemed to find it OK.

However, Census Bureau research and public feedback turned up different results, so moving forward "Negro" will not be an option.

Question 9 on the first page of the 2010 Census form. After more than a century, the Census Bureau is dropping use of the word "Negro" to describe black Americans in its surveys. Instead of the term, which was popularized during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation, census forms will use "black" or "African-American."   

Question 9 on the first page of the 2010 Census form. After more than a century, the Census Bureau is dropping use of the word "Negro" to describe black Americans in its surveys. Instead of the term, which was popularized during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation, census forms will use "black" or "African-American."

Carolyn Kaster/AP
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:22pm

Frank Matheis
• 11 months ago

While you are at it, remove the asinine reference to "Caucasian." The only people that fit with that are people from the Caucasus mountain regions in western Asia.
You can call me white, European origin, or German, and even French. Just don't call me by that stupid reference from 19th Century pseudoscience, when they divided all of the human race into Caucasian, Negroid and Mongoloid. See how long black people and Asian people put up with that stupidity. Calling all white people "Caucasian" is like referring to them all as "Polish". Only the US still uses this outdated and erroneous reference, based on the now archaic idea that white people (Celtic, Scandinavian, Germanic & Slavic tribes) somehow originated there. Indo-Germanic peoples came from what is today the western part of India. Leave that for the Russians, Turks, Armenians, Azerbajanis and Iranians who live in the Caucasus to be "Caucasians". They are ethnically, physically, and otherwise not representative of all European people.
Even so, it would be like calling the Swiss, Austrians, Italians, Germans and Slovenians as "Alpines".

36 △ 1 ▽   

Share ›

John Varga > Frank Matheis
• 11 months ago

Frank, it's really a matter of semantics at this point since very few people know the origin of the word. But, to your point, I think the term "white" should be eliminated. It really says nothing about socioeconomic status, and it is loaded with racist overtones.

6 △ 2 ▽   

Share ›

Bristol Rosa > John Varga
• 11 months ago

I think the matter of "negro" is semantic as well; it's Spanish for "black."

14 △   ▽   

Share ›

Frank Matheis > John Varga
• 11 months ago

No, I don't mind being called white. My black friends also don't mind being referred to as "black". African-American only fits some people.
We could say : African origin, European origin, and it would sort of fit, but so many people are in between.
The whole concept of "race" is flawed.
I want Caucasian to be eliminated as it is totally erroneous.

10 △   ▽   

Share ›

lamen terms > John Varga
• 11 months ago

oh..............horse manure. so if white is is racist with overtones then so is black and hispanic. being called white is not racist. nor is black or negro. hispanics definition of black is .......ready for it...... negro. a bunch of entitled over sensitve liberals doing what they do best..go call a black brit visiting that he's an african american and see where that gets ya".

6 △ 2 ▽   

Share ›

L H > lamen terms
• 11 months ago

Why do you have to assume that it's "liberals?" Using African American seems weird to me, too, unless you're describing someone who is actually from Africa.

9 △   ▽   

Share ›

Vincent Calabrese > lamen terms
• 11 months ago

Well if he's British then clearly it would be nonsense to call him an American of any kind...

2 △   ▽   

Share ›

Tall Coat > Vincent Calabrese
• 11 months ago

"wannabe American"

1 △   ▽   

trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 5:23pm
I'm more offended by the term African-American. But the term negro has some adverse history as well.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>