Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are You, Like, African-AMERICAN Or AFRICAN-Americ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Are You, Like, African-AMERICAN Or AFRICAN-Americ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:14pm
I liked the entire speech he gave at Morehouse
/shrugs/

But I never thought about the fact that he [POTUS] is not technically African-American.
Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

everyone wants to be a special negro

rarely do I hear people question why poor ass white people exist

The exceptional negro is one of the racism tactics I hate the most

It's so deceptive and insidious and invidious ... on its face and in the face of such seemingly insurmountable odds, it's too easy to fall for but we can't afford to be fooled by the smoke and mirrors

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

If I speak English, they assume that I'm American — and French-speaking people, at least, are obsessed with African-Americans. It's so weird. You are like this evolved kind of black person as opposed to an African person. I would say that a little bit is true — of the reverse — here [in the United States].

My professor, who is black, said that she had friends who would go to Europe and literally come back with their self esteem shooting through the roof because of how they were perceived over there.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:45pm
Racism.

My mercy.

It's hold is so strong that a black president can't help his own people without racism fighting tooth and nail to keep their unfair advantage

I wish he wouldn't fall right in line with racism and admonish blacks for not using the bootstraps we never had

On a certain level I understand the President Obama is a first step and we have collective work to do to set the stage for a president that must address our needs but it's still infuriating 

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

If I speak English, they assume that I'm American — and French-speaking people, at least, are obsessed with African-Americans. It's so weird. You are like this evolved kind of black person as opposed to an African person. I would say that a little bit is true — of the reverse — here [in the United States].

My professor, who is black, said that she had friends who would go to Europe and literally come back with their self esteem shooting through the roof because of how they were perceived over there.

shid. my girl whom I love dearly can't wait to leave here and go back to school. she said living over there she forgot what it was to be treated differently because you're black. She said when she came back here she was gettin' shaded and followed in stores n'sh*t when she didn't get that "over there". She's never returning to the states to live if she can help it she said.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

Very interesting.
Thanks for posting Afro.

If one's value/worth can change simply by crossing a border, what does that tell you? 

Unfortunately, the common denominator is still that, on the whole, white people are calling the shots.
People of color are being judged and weighed, valued or devalued, and rewarded or punished, based on white perception.

Proof that no matter what you do, or what you achieve, there will still be a yt person ready, willing and able to look down on you.

Must I keep wishing heart attacks to them all? Yes...yes...I guess so.

LOLCry
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 2:41pm
Still waiting on Obama to preach and wag his finger at white youth or talk about all of the things that they do wrong. 
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 4:06pm
So Printer Ink was right....????

lol

nice Article.

Edited by OoDles O - Aug 10 2014 at 4:08pm
Senior Detective View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

lol

nice Article.
she usually is...

but u aint heard that from me
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 4:18pm

http://vixenvarsity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/side-eye-cosby.gif

Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

lol

nice Article.
she usually is...

but u aint heard that from me
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection